Jump to content
The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
JKent

Kutztown?

Recommended Posts

Anyone going to Kutztown this year? If the weather's nice I plan to take a ride out on the 11th. We should have some way for CSP members to recognize each other. Flower in lapel? Fedora hat? Groucho glasses? Maybe we need a secret handshake.

-Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday and checking the dates. Two weeks ago we had our first MIT Flea Market locally, and I ran into a guy who always goes to Kutztown, which is a bit of a road trip from New England. Too far for me this year. For those not familiar with this famous flea market held on the grounds of Renninger's in southeast PA, the two links below are loaded with pics that give a flavor of the event, including the traditional bonfire.

https://john-h.smugmug.com/Radio-Activites-Kutztown-Thirty-four-Spring-2016/

https://john-h.smugmug.com/The-Show-of-Shows-Kutztown-XXX-Old-Radio-Bacchanalia/

 

Kutztown XXXVIII - May 11-12, 2018

Kutztown XXXIX - Sept 14-15, 2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've loved going to Kutztown over the years - the radio collectors are maybe a little less fanatical than vintage audio buffs, but they're still a lot of fun to be around. Many of them happen to know a quite a bit about our hobby, too.

Renninger's has tightened up on early admissions by restricting the area to "Dealers Only" on Thursday; civilians used to be able to infiltrate on set-up day, and get early access & deals.

One my favorite Kutztown memories is buying a pair of AR-90s from a guy who had just purchased them from a dealer only moments before - he hadn't even tried to move them, yet. I offered him twice what he'd paid ($75), and he thought about it for maybe five seconds, and then stuck out his hand. The dealer couldn't believe what had just happened! ^_^

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 9:16 AM, JKent said:

We should have some way for CSP members to recognize each other. Flower in lapel? Fedora hat? Groucho glasses? Maybe we need a secret handshake.

-Kent

Kent, I always look forward to this show, especially after the long winter! If you see this coffee mug on a table, you've found us.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:53 AM, ra.ra said:

Two weeks ago we had our first MIT Flea Market locally, and I ran into a guy who always goes to Kutztown, which is a bit of a road trip from New England. ... give a flavor of the event, including the traditional bonfire.

 

ra.ra

I wish I lived closer to Boston, the MIT flea has to be a great hunting ground. Kutztown is closer to us, and it's a blast, but I've yet to see someone drive in with a Gemini capsule.

The bonfire pile builds slowly over the course of the show. This stripped Capehart console from a couple of years ago made me laugh.

On 4/27/2018 at 3:44 PM, ar_pro said:

One my favorite Kutztown memories is buying a pair of AR-90s from a guy who had just purchased them from a dealer only moments before - he hadn't even tried to move them, yet. I offered him twice what he'd paid ($75), and he thought about it for maybe five seconds, and then stuck out his hand. The dealer couldn't believe what had just happened! ^_^

 

ar_pro,

That's a heck of a deal, even with the 'mark up'. Desirable audio equipment (priced right, of course) changes hands fast, and, often, more than once.

Last year I was passing a table just as a guy was placing an MR-78 on it. It needed some work but the price was very fair. As soon as I got it back to the table I had a small gathering of 'inquirers'.

IMG_2554 edit.JPG

DSC00565 edit.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of today (Monday) the outlook for Friday in Kutztown is mostly sunny, high 71°

I'm takin' the convertible!

-Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well maybe everyone from the forum should wear blue shoes ... unfortunately I won't be there ... 

Blue Suede Shoes

Well, it's one for the money 
Two for the show 
Three to get ready 
Now go, cat, go

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9:30 AM: Headin' out the door!

2 hour drive but it's a nice day so it'll be top-down in the ol' 'vette.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6:30 PM: Back home. Jeff--I looked for your AR mug but didn't see it :(

Saw some nice old radios, some nice classic-era components and a whole lot of junk. Had hoped to find glass for the meter on my Weston tube tester but no such luck.

Picked up some vacuum tubes. Then as I was leaving spied a pair of KLH Model Sixes. I wasn't going to buy them but the seller said "well, the cabinets are rough and the tweeters don't work. They just need crossover work. 5 bucks".

So who could resist? One went in the trunk and one in the passenger seat.

I'll write up the resto in the KLH section but I'm concerned that the tweeter fix won't be a simple re-cap and new L-pad job. The caps may be oil and the level control is a toggle switch so we shall see.....

-Kent

PS: Started a thread here: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 8:55 AM, JKent said:

9:30 AM: Headin' out the door!

2 hour drive but it's a nice day so it'll be top-down in the ol' 'vette.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6:30 PM: Back home. Jeff--I looked for your AR mug but didn't see it :(

Saw some nice old radios, some nice classic-era components and a whole lot of junk. Had hoped to find glass for the meter on my Weston tube tester but no such luck.

Picked up some vacuum tubes. Then as I was leaving spied a pair of KLH Model Sixes. I wasn't going to buy them but the seller said "well, the cabinets are rough and the tweeters don't work. They just need crossover work. 5 bucks".

So who could resist? One went in the trunk and one in the passenger seat.

I'll write up the resto in the KLH section but I'm concerned that the tweeter fix won't be a simple re-cap and new L-pad job. The caps may be oil and the level control is a toggle switch so we shall see.....

-Kent

 

 

We rolled by on Friday, and it looked like a full house. I spotted a couple of AR turntables, including a later ES version, as well as a few sets of AR-4 types, and a pair of AR-2ax.

Dynaco was everywhere - I think there were half a dozen Stereo 70s for sale.  I bought a bunch of LPs, and wisely managed to talk myself out of an Altec 604. ^_^

Did you see the KLH radio, Kent? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No! I didn't see any of that stuff :o

I arrived about 11:30 and wandered around and around until 3. Saw a pair of AR-18s that did not tempt me but NO other AR stuff. Saw "some" Dynaco but no ST 70s. Think there was a quad integrated amp, a PAT-4, a Mk III and 2 pair of speakers.

The only KLH I saw were the Model Six speakers.

Was all that stuff gone by 11:30? If I go again maybe I need to get up earlier.

And I still think we need a way to identify other CSP guys.

-Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were there pretty early - around 7 AM, and stayed until about 10. There are very few smokin' deals at that hour, but arriving early is the best way to have a shot at an exotic rarity. The other side of that coin is that some dealers don't set up until the afternoon, so you'd miss them by showing up at dawn. 

The seller with the ES turntable was the same guy who had that beautiful AR receiver & cabinet a couple of years back - the one that wound up on eBay about 24 hours later. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 8:55 AM, JKent said:

.... Then as I was leaving spied a pair of KLH Model Sixes. I wasn't going to buy them but the seller said "well, the cabinets are rough and the tweeters don't work. They just need crossover work. 5 bucks".

Irresistible!!!  Thanks for the vicarious pleasure of almost being there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the Kutztown field report by JKent and ar_pro - - - you just never know what kind of gear will turn up at these type of shows.

Not meant to hijack this thread, but since we all like pics, here's a few snapshots from Saturday at the Brimfield Flea Market in central Massachusetts. It was cold and wet and I was not particularly in buying mode so I don't really have any descriptive details to offer - - - just a few pics.

P1110585.jpg

P1110583.jpg

P1110584.jpg

P1110586.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I envy those those who can easily get to Brimfield, or the MIT flea markets - it looks like the epicenter of speakers from the Classic era.

A member of the radio club that hosts the Kutztown event has posted photos from this weekend - I spotted the bulldog in the stroller on Friday, and laughed out loud!

https://john-h.smugmug.com/Kutztown-Radio-Meet-XXXVIII-Double-the-Fun/

 

 

 

IMG_2207a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collectibles come and go fast at Kutztown.

Friday morning around 8 o'clock this pair of JBL Minigons hit the tables and sold immediately. I grabbed a couple of pics before they disappeared.

For tube equipment collectors there was a gorgeous Marantz stack consisting of Model 7 stereo console, a 10b tuner, and at least one Model 8 amplifier.

Among the various AR equipment was a pair of well used AR-2's in unfinished pine, complete except for the rear panel paperwork, that arrived in the back of a pickup. They also sold immediately.

 

mini mini.jpg

mini mini 2.jpg

preamp.jpg

tuner.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...