The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
JKent

KLH Model Six

So I was at Kutztown and saw a pair of Sixes. They looked kind of sad so the seller said "The cabinets are rough and the tweeters don't work. Five bucks". So I couldn't resist ;)

Got them home (no easy feat: 3 hour drive in a 2-seater) and had to tear into them. Some initial impressions:

1. These are NOT the epoxied-in versions but they are fairly early (SN 95544 & 99166) so they do have the 3 terminals on the back.
  2. Cabinets may not be that bad: water marks, a few chips, corner dents and what look like scorch marks. All can be fixed.
  3. Both Masonite grille frames are broken but the nice cast badges are there.
  4. Both tweeters work! :D
  5. Crossover is not like the one shown in the Model Six manual (in the Library). I've only opened one but it has an inductor, one 3 ohm resistor and one 8uF cap (well, the cap is actually a double 4uF, typical of KLH). It's a crappy old paper cap so I suspect that's the cause of the non-working tweeter although the toggle switch may also be the culprit.

Has anyone seen a crossover like this in a Six? I don't even understand how it works; if there's only one cap and one resistor what does the 3-position toggle do? Seems to me there should be some more caps and/or resistors.

edit: This IS like the crossover shown in the manual. See follow-up posts below.

So the plan is to patch the dings in the cabs (probably with brown epoxy), replace the caps with some 8uF "Ultra Caps I got a while back from Apex Jr, squirt some De-Ox-It in the switches and fire 'em up. Will post pics and progress.

-Kent

xo.jpg

Kent,

Did you happen to see the Model Twenty-One with the center mounted power switch?

IMG_2589 edit.jpg

Is it possible there are resistors or caps hiding inside the epoxy? I can't see any but that is how KLH did it in the earliest Six's..

22 hours ago, JeffS said:

Did you happen to see the Model Twenty-One with the center mounted power switch?

Nope. I didn't see any of the stuff ar_pro mentioned either :(

Also didn't see your AR coffee cup.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:42 AM, jessiAV said:

Is it possible there are resistors or caps hiding inside the epoxy? I can't see any but that is how KLH did it in the earliest Six's..

RIGHT YOU ARE!

I should have known that. Even though I couldn't see any components in that chunk of epoxy I chipped away at it and it broke like ceramic. Embedded in there were 3 more resistors and a double 2uF cap. And the caps are bad. So in addition to the 8uF "UltraCaps" I'll throw in some Madisound Surplus 2uF Mylar caps.

Getting the plate off was a nuisance and getting it back on (and retaining the airtight seal) will be a chore. I HATE those metal plates KLH used. Each of the THREE terminal screws has to be isolated with rubber shoulder washers. Just a stupid design.

Will be posting some photos eventually.

Thanks Jessi :D

-Kent

hi Kent,

I couldn't agree more about the rear plate. My solution to sealing was to put a bead of sealant inside cabinet hole where the wood and metal plate meet, but I'd be really curious how you will do it.