The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
RickB

NLA grill cloth?

Does anyone have any idea(s) for the proper grill cloth for the NLA(New Large Advent)? I have thought about using the AR material from 123 Stitch but I would like to use something closer to the original style. I know this has been discussed here and over at Audiokarma. Thanks for any comments and help. I hope to meet many of you at the Frankenfest this Saturday.

Rick Brumett

Well thanks to Pete B I have ordered swatches from Dorr Mill. With the help of my wife who is a prolific needle pointer using cross stitch etc  we may have something that is close. I will keep you posted.

Rick

I have replaced the grill cloths on one pair of my NLA. It is a tighter weave but acoustically pretty transparent. I will post some pix later now on to more coffee at 7:05AM!!!!

Here is a picture of the NLA grill. The source for the material is caydoonline.com and the p/n is X001KPU2XF. The weave is tighter than the original but it is very acoustically transparent and passes my listening tests and has Diana's approval. The 2 small lines are threads on the grill now removed.

IMG_0387.jpg

Edited by RickB
extra threads

Looks good Rick! I tried to find the cloth but came up blank ( went to caydoonline.com  and searched for X001KPU2XF). Maybe you could post a link to the product directly. I'm sure OLA restorers would appreciate it.

-Kent

I must apologize for the wrong link for the caydo fabric. It is sold now only by amazon. the link is   https://www.amazon.com/Caydo-Needlework-Garments-Accessories-62-Inch/dp/B075Q9CV33/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1545222378&sr=8-5&keywords=caydo+linen+needlework+fabric    When I did two of my NLAs I reused the black under layment and stapled the new cloth over that after I steam ironed the new cloth. It was pretty easy and came out looking really good according to the "Boss" (my wife).

Thanks,

RickB

I believe the New Advent fabric is a browner shade than Original Advent fabric which is an off-white - ivory color.

Doug

Yes it is, the fabric from Dorr Mill is very close but in my opinion not worth the many times the cost of what I used. But of course each person has to make their own choice.

Great thread, thanks for the links! That said; has anyone found a close match at a Hobby Lobby, JoAnne Fabrics, et al?  I ask as I'd really love to see the material up close and personal.

Thanks!!