The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
Lucky Pierre

A pair of AR-3 fell into my lap this week

Hey Peter,  I am thru using these aetna-pollak pots anymore. Send me a PM with your address and I will drop a good wiper in the mail tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, lARrybody said:

Hey Peter,  I am thru using these aetna-pollak pots anymore. Send me a PM with your address and I will drop a good wiper in the mail tomorrow.

Thank you, kind sir!

2 hours ago, Lucky Pierre said:

....should I do anything about the cadmium corrosion ...?

Cadmium? Cobalt? Dunno for sure, but it does look toxic, and my typical effort is to wipe it off with a rag dampened with household white vinegar.

4 hours ago, lARrybody said:

I am thru using these aetna-pollak pots anymore.

Yep, they can be a real PITA. I've watched a number of your impressive restorations, so have you arrived at a conclusive and preferred replacement solution? 

1 hour ago, ra.ra said:

Cadmium? Cobalt? Dunno for sure, but it does look toxic, and my typical effort is to wipe it off with a rag dampened with household white vinegar.

Yep, they can be a real PITA. I've watched a number of your impressive restorations, so have you arrived at a conclusive and preferred replacement solution? 

I'm pretty sure it is cadmium.  I think the rings around the back side of the woofer are (were) cadmium plated.

2 hours ago, Lucky Pierre said:

Caps arrived.  Restoration starting soon.

The grill fell off the midrange while one speaker was sitting on its side on my bench.  Can I just glue it back on?

Peter

Yes....

I cleaned the pots and recapped yesterday.  These speakers are glorious!

First I tried them on an NAD T748 (100-125 watt at 4 ohm) in analogue bypass mode.  I was completely blown away. Then I tried them on a Marantz T7 preamp and a pair of Webster 30 watt 2A3 monoblocks.  They lost everything that made them sound good.  Muddy, dull, and lifeless.

Tonight I swapped the Websters for a Carver TFM-6cb (rated at 100 watts into 4 ohm).  The first song up was Hendrix's Little Wing.  Just incredible!

I'd love to hear these in a larger room.  I have also decided, based on a year or so of observation, that I don't think I am a tube guy.  Part of the problem is that all of my speakers are not that sensitive.  But I have also found that all of my speakers sound better on the SS NAD, vs. the Websters or my recapped and retubed Dynaco Mk III.  So, I've decided to divest of most of my tube gear.  I have my eye on a Marantz 240 to compliment my T7 pre.

I'll post pictures when I start the cabinet restoration.

Glad you like them. Isn't it amazing that a 50 yr old speaker can still surprise? Good luck on your refinish....they deserve it.

Quick update:

Day 4 with these and I keep thinking that this is the sound I have been looking for.  I picked up the Marantz 240 today, along with a 120B tuner.  I think the journey with this system is over.

I picked up material for repairing the grills yesterday.  I found a post in my research, I think by lakecat, that suggested using electrical tape to attach the grill cloth.  I might try that route rather than glue.  I'll start that next weekend.

I'm really looking forward to the cabinet work, but that will have to wait until spring so I can do the work outdoors.  I'm going to try my hand at spray can lacquer, to keep the finish original.

Pics to come in a few months.

Peter

1 hour ago, Lucky Pierre said:

Quick update:

Day 4 with these and I keep thinking that this is the sound I have been looking for.  I picked up the Marantz 240 today, along with a 120B tuner.  I think the journey with this system is over.

I picked up material for repairing the grills yesterday.  I found a post in my research, I think by lakecat, that suggested using electrical tape to attach the grill cloth.  I might try that route rather than glue.  I'll start that next weekend.

I'm really looking forward to the cabinet work, but that will have to wait until spring so I can do the work outdoors.  I'm going to try my hand at spray can lacquer, to keep the finish original.

Pics to come in a few months.

Peter

Just to alert you on that thread. I did contact glue the top and bottom of the grill. I didn't like how the sides looked and decided to tape them as the sides need to be flexible to get them into the speaker. How it lasted I have no idea as a great gentleman from Italy wanted those rare 3's so off they went. The sides are meant to be behind the slot in the speaker so he may have removed the tape.