The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scoup

Design Acoustics D8 who knew?!

Got these on trade a while ago.  Until that point I had never heard of Design Acoustics and they intrigued me.  The seemingly haphazard placement of the mids and tweeters (all Peerless) contradicted the heavy, well built and beautifully finished cabinets.  The two 10” rear firing woofers should produced good bottom end... 

All 9 drivers appeared to be working, and while they had potential, they weren’t great compared to my AR9LSIs or my Heathkit AS1348s.  

I decided to open them up for a look see.  I desoldered a few of the caps and they metered way out.  I re-capped them and they sounded even worse...

I chalked it up to a poor trade (I traded a set of 10pi for them) and pushed them to the back.  Off and on over the last few months they have seen duty but it’s been limited.  

The other day I put them back into rotation and they seemed to sound really good.  I settled in for a critical listening session.  Over the next 3 hours they continued to sound better and better.  I’ve never heard such a drastic change as the caps burn in before.

Eventually I had to A/B them with my AR9LSIs.  I was shocked to hear how good they sounded compared to my LSIs!  With soft jazz, horns and vocals they are the best speakers I’ve heard.  In that category they surpass the LSIs.  They don’t have the signature AR bottom end bass but, they are certainly no slouch either.  The down side is it is painful to listen to anything but the most pristine vinyl.  Every pop, and crackle sounds front and center.  

They will not replace my 9s, but they won’t be going anywhere soon either...

336EE3DD-A0A7-4ADD-A3D0-2CAC3167FEF3.jpeg

420FDD6C-ABF5-4E36-8267-1B94066C640E.jpeg

506AF176-C023-412E-A45F-A558F2AC95C4.jpeg

53988AD8-8CE6-42BE-B1B8-98F13CEA1258.jpeg

76D0DBEB-151A-45FB-A593-6F3D207B4918.jpeg

BF70D5A1-D539-4DC5-82A7-EED4225391D6.jpeg

Hi Scoup. I have only recently become familiar with DA speakers, too - - in fact, I began a thread here a few months ago about some model D-4 speakers that came my way. With the exception of that dome tweeter, your front drivers (all Peerless?) look similar to what's in the D-4, but I'd love to see pics of your woofers, if possible. Also, am curious about the crossover cap value for that 5" midrange driver.

Your story about the performance evaluation is pretty strange, but at least they are now providing some very satisfying results. 

DA speakers are not all that common, but the model D-8 seems to be an especially rare bird. This may not read all that well, but here is a 1973 article by designer George Sioles on omnidirection. Also, a brief listing of DA models from a 1977 buyer's guide.

George Sioles omnidirectional.jpg

DA models 1977.jpg

On 6/25/2019 at 12:30 PM, ra.ra said:

I'd love to see pics of your woofers, if possible. Also, am curious about the crossover cap value for that 5" midrange driver.

I’ll have to see if I’ve still got my list for the value of the caps..  I did find this pic on my phone...  hmmmmm, photo does not want to load.

I have a set of d-8 speakers myself. I am going to start restoring them soon as the mid ranges are not in good shape and some capacitors appear to be blown out on one of the speakers control boards.  Anyone have any idea what kind of mid range I should get to replace the current ones??  They are really good sounding speakers as is. I love these things. Just need to bring them back to original condition. 

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Anyone have any idea what kind of mid range.......?

Hi Justin, and welcome to the forum. It will be most helpful to show some pics of the midrange drivers and explain what might be wrong with them. Also, some pics of the crossover panels or other caps may be useful to a future restorer .