The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
ChrisM

12.5 question

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

...gallon can of Toluene...

You should be able to find this in quart container - - - not sure about your state, but it's legal here and available in many good hardware stores.

toluene 2.jpg

Thanks ra.ra. It kinda looks like Startex is a East Coast thing. I am in Washington State near Seattle. I can't find any quart cans just the gallon. I could, if necessary, use Xylene which I can get in quarts. Roy said it is OK to use but if I can I'd rather get the real thing. I'll keep looking.

Inspired by the link Pete B suggested about tweeter renovation, I reached out to Richard So the ADS rebuild god. I am now in contact with him and will report his thoughts on the topic of light weight goop for mid-ranges and 12.5s. More to come.

Richard said he couldn't sell me his sealant and asked which drivers we were talking about.

I sent him a even more detailed description of the 12.5s and the AD5060s and the fact that we have a most excellent sealant but I have concerns about using it on the little guys.

I said since he is expert at putting sealant on cloth (ADS tweets and mids), I would appreciate any insights he might have.

His response.....

"I have done AR woofer surrounds in the past with cloth surround sealer.
I think you should find the original coating to use on your drivers."

Needless to say somewhat disappointing.

So I ended up getting an entire gallon of Toluene and thinned out some of Roy's goo. In a non-scientific way, I would say that the result was about half as thick. I have some totally beat up 11 portable speakers which are essentially unrestorable because of the case so I didn't feel bad about harvesting a driver to try the thinned goo on.

It would appear that there is more than one variety of 12.5 which I hadn't realized.

The ones out of the portable have a different surround from the ones in my 11w's. I haven't looked yet at any of my 14's.

The material is cloth with a clearish sealant. The ones from the 11w are more like a gauze with a black sealant. The cloth ones also have a lower Fs.

Any ideas?

On 9/19/2019 at 11:43 AM, ChrisM said:

So I ended up getting an entire gallon of Toluene and thinned out some of Roy's goo. In a non-scientific way, I would say that the result was about half as thick. I have some totally beat up 11 portable speakers which are essentially unrestorable because of the case so I didn't feel bad about harvesting a driver to try the thinned goo on.

It would appear that there is more than one variety of 12.5 which I hadn't realized.

The ones out of the portable have a different surround from the ones in my 11w's. I haven't looked yet at any of my 14's.

The material is cloth with a clearish sealant. The ones from the 11w are more like a gauze with a black sealant. The cloth ones also have a lower Fs.

Any ideas?

KLH cloth surrounds are generally either brown/tan or black. I believe that the black surrounds were that way from the factory and just had carbon black added to the doping material. RoyC's goop will work on either type. I know 'cuz my KLJ Sixes have brown surrounds and my Twenties have black surrounds.

True, but my point was about what it is made out of rather than the color. The tweeter in the Model 24 and the 3" fullrange from a Model 8 have similar surrounds to my 12.5s out of the 11 portable. I've looked at a lot of pictures on Google and all the 12.5s appear to have the gauzy surround with black  or clear goop. I would have thought someone else here had seen some like mine.