Guest Droog

Epi M50

4 posts in this topic

Looking for reviews on the epi 50, how do they sound, ect. Seems like a great little speaker...

Looking for reviews on the epi 50, how do they sound, ect. Seems like a great little speaker...

I purchased a new floor model matched pair in the 70s. I then later sold them to my sis for $100. I recently repurchased them back for $40. They are a little beat up, but nothing that a bit of stain and elbow grease can't fix.

These are wonderful sounding shelf speakers. They are heavy in weight @ 15 lbs. each. See link: http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi50.htm

The 50's are awesome little speakers, especially in a smaller room. I first heard them in the early to mid 70's. I walked into a stereo store and was quite impressed by the speakers that were playing. I looked around to try and figure out which of the big speakers were playing, and was very surprised to find that it was the tiny M-50's. That is what hooked me on EPIs. I walked out of the store with a demo pair of M-100's (which I still have).

I presently use a pair of M'50's in my master bathroom, driven by a vintage Pioneer car stereo that I mounted in a wood box.

I also mounted 2 pairs of M'50's in the ceiling of my basement to provide surround sound for the TV.

I have owned my pair of 50's since I bought them new in the mid-70s. Until probably 1988 they were my only pair of speakers and were called upon to fill a huge variety spaces with good music including a 3,000 sq. ft. loft I lived in for a few years. Great sounding speakers. In some ways I actually like them better than my 100s. A couple of years ago they got recapped and upgraded wire and now sound better than ever in my kitchen system with an Onkyo TX 4500 mkII. Great match!