The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums

Vintage 1970's Fairfax speakers

Recently I have inherited a pair of old Fairfax speakers (circa

1976)from their Supersound Line series complete with an intricate walnut cabinet and finishings. It features two bass 165 mm cones,mid,and treble tweeter. They each weigh about 44 pounds (they don't make them like they used to!) and the sound is still astonishing and does not seem at all obsolete since they were rarely used and kept in excellent condition. From what I have gathered, Fairfax Industries Inc (the speakers' manufacturer) was located on Passaic Ave in East Newark, New Jersey. The company is now defunct but was responsible for a number of high-end audio products including these speakers. I have used them before namely in an analogue system with a Thorens TD 126 MK III turntable and

Quintessence Group pre/power amps (Class A)which I also got recently. On the same note the Quintessence Group amps are also a

rarity (the company was previously located in Sacramento).

Has anyone else heard of either Fairfax or Quintessence Group?

Guest nikster22

I have heard of Fairfax. We have a pair of their tower speakers (1 10" woofer, mid, and tweeter). Purchased them at a thrift store for about 30 dollars. They really sound fantastic. To be honest, you're the only other person I've found who's even heard of them. These are from "the supersound line". Hope that helps,

Nik.

Guest Speakernutz

yo,

I have a set of Fairfax speakers and these are called or at least I believe they are called "The Wall Of Sound" The cabinets are about 4 foot tall by about 3 foot 6 inches wide and each has 6 8 inch woofers plus mids and tweets each. They flat out project like nothing I have ever heard. they smoked my wimpy Sony surround sound stereo in about a total of two hours playing time. But I picked up a marantz 2325 receiver a while back and still have not hooked them together. To be honest I am scared. I love volume but due to failing health I have let my home exterior look prety bad while doing a restoration. So if fire these mothers up I may just take my neighbors over the edge.So the Fairfaxs are in the basement and the Marantz is in the basement. Soon I willnote that the neihbors on both sides are gone and the bet will be off but whats the chance I won't leave them together after hearing them together..? See the dilemma? Anyhow anybody who has ever heard of these let me know. I can get down and take some pics but it will be awhile....I have ahouse to paint. Thanks for having what looks like a great forum....Michael

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1297.jpg

post-101910-1147909071.jpg

Guest Speakernutz

Well I am back and see more Fairfax's popping up..Hmmm. Anyhow I have been quite happy since I bought a Marantz 2325 and did my first refoaming job on a set of speakers.Since I found out I had something special I spent hours gently removing all the old material off of the polypropolene speakers.Once I installed those in I was in love. The Marantz 2325 was up to the task and my Infinity RSII's came alive....I am now 50 years old and have totally lost my job due to sleep disorders. Truck-driving and going to sleep at the wheel don't mix I guess..Go figure. Anyhow I am finally going to remove the setup from upstairs in a 11 x 14 room full of furniture and exercize equipment to the living room. My living room is 12 x 24 so these mothers will finally breathe....To bad I did not get them down here before my 4 year old got out of school for the summer. At least then I would have had 4 hours a day to enjoy them without hurting my little guy.Maybe with him here I can learn to respect my hearing for once because I know I care about it but have never really let that stop me from pushing the volume knob.So with Ethan running around I can appreciate how the music I have loved since the 60's & 70's has notes,instruments and riffs I never heard before. I listened to "Dark Side of the Moon" about 6 months ago on my B&O turntable and wonder whether it was totally the Master Copy or the speakers that had me hearing things I never heard before???? Since Dark Side is one of my favorite albums ever I really don't believe how much new stuff has ben hidden from me....Anyhow I have not hooked up my Fairfax speakers to the Marantz due to the previously mentioned fears. Since being scared while I was only pushing the speakers with at most 30 watts what would a real 125 watts do??? Since not being able to find a real job we are selling our home next spring and will buy with our equity a house in the country from either an auction or land contract with hopefully little or no mortgage. Ideally we will buy our Grammas house in beautiful Downtown East Tawas Michigan.All the best to you all and I can do us all a favor pretty soon and get a shot on here of the behemoths... The Fairfax "WALL OF SOUNDS".I mean has anyone ver seen these before? A total of six eight inch drivers plus mids and tweets is pretty special right....? Last time they were pretty burried in the basement but since we are moving in less than a year I will not have enough time to clear out my 14 year collection.Pray for me brothers & sisters...Please! Oh and the best part about the Marantz 2325 & the Infinity RSII's including refoaming is that I only have a total of $300.00 total dollars in that wonderful setup.

Michael

Guest mugore

post-103372-1220035701.jpg

Recently I have inherited a pair of old Fairfax speakers (circa

1976)from their Supersound Line series complete with an intricate walnut cabinet and finishings. It features two bass 165 mm cones,mid,and treble tweeter. They each weigh about 44 pounds (they don't make them like they used to!) and the sound is still astonishing and does not seem at all obsolete since they were rarely used and kept in excellent condition. From what I have gathered, Fairfax Industries Inc (the speakers' manufacturer) was located on Passaic Ave in East Newark, New Jersey. The company is now defunct but was responsible for a number of high-end audio products including these speakers. I have used them before namely in an analogue system with a Thorens TD 126 MK III turntable and

Quintessence Group pre/power amps (Class A)which I also got recently. On the same note the Quintessence Group amps are also a

rarity (the company was previously located in Sacramento).

Has anyone else heard of either Fairfax or Quintessence Group?

Hey there, I got a pair Fairfax Speakers for 20 bucks about one year ago and was tremendously impressed with the sound. I longed to find out more about those speakers and landed on this forum. The pair you described is practically the same as mine: walnut casing ( There is a sticker on the speakers that says genuine american walnut ). The only thing is im using a fairly basic amp (onkyo) and 44.1 cd to drive them. Nevertheless, I'm happy to know they are high end. The only thing is that the casing is well sealed and i've got no clue how to open them to see what is inside.

Guest vini

I have a pair of Fairfax speakers I bought new way back in the ‘70s. They are high efficiency 4 speaker, 3 ways. Each speaker had two 8” woofers, one 3.5” midrange, and a 2” (I think) tweeter. They could be driven with less than 50 watts. I don’t remember how much they could handle. There are stuffed with fiberglass insulation. They sounded way better than the Bose 911s which were a ‘hot’ speaker at the time. They sounded ‘open’. One of the cats got to the paper cone on one of the woofers and I wasn’t able to find a replacement for it. They are among the heaviest speakers I ever had to pick up. They were bought from Lenard Radio and Electronics in midtown on Sixth Ave. in NYC.

The salesman told me that Fairfax was actually missile guidance system manufacturer and that a principle was an audiophile and used the companies’ equipment to design his own stuff. ‘Everyone’ liked the speakers he made for himself, and so they went into production; However Fairfax was used to government contracts, not consumer marketing, and so they couldn’t make a go of it. At least that’s what he told me.

Guest Murray Bloom

I was a Fairfax dealer back in the seventies and know quite a bit about their line and its evolution. If I had to describe them in a few words, they were fairly crudely built (by today's standards); tended to have thick particle board cabinets, which made them heavy for their size; used relatively inexpensive off-the-shelf drivers; and generally sounded terrific, equal or superior to speakers costing many times as much. Something about their design and engineering really worked.

Fairfax was nothing, if not versatile. Their line ranged from tiny bookshelf speakers to their flagship, the Wall of Sound I. Most models were ported, although there were a few models with sealed cabinets. The Wall of Sound I and its little brother, the II, used a crude, but effective labyrinth system which terminated in multiple ports.

Several of their models were top-rated by publications such as Consumer Reports, but they were pretty much ignored by the audiophile press. The company was bought by a big-box audio company in the mid-seventies and was quickly relegated to producing house brand speakers. The brand faded from the scene in short order.

I was so impressed with the Wall of Sound I that I bought a pair in '73. They retailed for $400 each at the time (a small fortune in the dollars of the day), but because of my dealer connections, I got them for $120 apiece - and Fairfax paid the shipping (which was not inconsequential because they weighed about 140 pounds in the carton. Thirty-five years later, they're still going strong. I've had to replace two tweeter drivers over that time, but remarkably, that's all. The rubber woofer suspensions have held up perfectly!

Each cabinet has twelve drivers. Six 8" woofers and two each of 5" midranges, 3-1/2" cone tweeters, and 1" soft-dome (Philips) super tweeters. They're rated at 125 watts RMS, but are so darn efficient that I've gotten incredibly loud sound levels without once driving them to distortion. The sound is extremely open, most similar to electrostatics. Owing to their size (30"W x 52"H x 7"D), They create a huge sound field. The strange thing is that, while they have a horizontal tweeter array, the imaging is excellent; not the best I've heard, but really good, nonetheless. As you can see by the photo, the tweeters are at the same height as my TV, so in the home theater mode, the phantom center channel is right inside the screen. Interestingly, I've tried several actual center channel speakers, and none works as well as the Walls and the phantom setting. The only shortcoming of the speakers is their lack of deep bass, not so atypical for their era. But that's no longer a problem in the era of powered subwoofers (Klipsch 300W 12" in this case). The surround speakers are B&W units sunk into the rear walls.

Over the years, I've considered replacing the Walls, but sanity always prevails. They sound awesome and compare favorably with many high end speakers of today. The only change I made to them was to make two removable black cloth grilles.

Just thought you all might be interested.

Here are the photos. For a sense of scale, the TV is a 52" Samsung.

post-103759-1228213545.jpg

post-103759-1228213594.jpg

When I was stationed in Germany, (Mannheim to be exact), in 74-75, we used to ride our 10 speeds to Heidelburg, and listen to the 'stereo wars' at some big auditorium there.

I purchased a pair of fairfax tower speakers just before I left. (sold 2 sets of Kenwood triple 7's), (those WERE monsters), to pay for the fairfaxs.

I had them shipped home to me in Wisconsin, when I went to tech school. I forget the actual part numbers of the speakers, but they had a (if I remember), a 12" woofer, a 5" midrange,

and a small tweeter. I blew the woofer up in one of them, was pissed, and sold the pair to my younger brother. Don't have a clue what he ever did with them.

They were sweet sounding speakers tho, (till the one blew up).

I DO really remember listening to the 'wall of sounds' and wished the WHOLE time that I had enough dough to purchase a pair. BUT the one huge thing (besides the cost and fact that I

didnt' have anyplace to put them, was their size. They ARE freaking huge. But wall of sound pretty much summed them up. HUGE sound came out of those monsters.

I do miss my fairfaxs tho. THIS is the first website that I"ve even heard anyone talking about them.

At this time, I"m listening on some vintage DCM time windows, (had 2 pair, sold one to make rent)................:>( Powered by 2 NAD 2200PE amps. (one for each speaker).

They do sound great. But I digress.

Shame fairfax went out of business.......................

Hi, my name is Robert W. , I live in Milan Il. I still have the pair of THE WALL OF SOUND SPEAKERS  THAT I PURCHASED IN 1972 IN MOLINE, IL .STILL USE THEM TO THIS DAY. MY WIFE AND I HAVE THEM HOOKED UP TO THE THEATRE SYSTEM IN OUR LIVING ROOM .  I BOUGHT THEM FROM  A HIGH END AUDIO SHOP CALLED AUDIO DIMENTIONS IN MOLINE, IL. THE OWNER NOW HAS A CAR DELERSHIP. DAVE KEYHOE AND I GO BACK A LONG WAY, NOT JUST FRIENDS BUT FAMILY AS WELL!!!! DAVES STORE WAS THE PLACE TO BUY THE BEST HIGH END GEAR YOU COULD EVER DREAM OF, I BOUGHT ALL OF MY STEREO GEAR FROM DAVE!!!!!! WOULD LIKE TOFIND OUT IF THERE IS ANY ONE ELSE AROUND THAT MAY STILL HAVE A SET OF THESE. WOULD SURLEY LIKE ENJOY TALKING TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR NOW ROBERT W, AND WIFE SANDY.................................. PLEASE RESPOND..........

On 12/19/2017 at 9:21 PM, Robert windisch said:

Hi, my name is Robert W. , I live in Milan Il. I still have the pair of THE WALL OF SOUND SPEAKERS  THAT I PURCHASED IN 1972 IN MOLINE, IL .STILL USE THEM TO THIS DAY. MY WIFE AND I HAVE THEM HOOKED UP TO THE THEATRE SYSTEM IN OUR LIVING ROOM .  I BOUGHT THEM FROM  A HIGH END AUDIO SHOP CALLED AUDIO DIMENTIONS IN MOLINE, IL. THE OWNER NOW HAS A CAR DELERSHIP. DAVE KEYHOE AND I GO BACK A LONG WAY, NOT JUST FRIENDS BUT FAMILY AS WELL!!!! DAVES STORE WAS THE PLACE TO BUY THE BEST HIGH END GEAR YOU COULD EVER DREAM OF, I BOUGHT ALL OF MY STEREO GEAR FROM DAVE!!!!!! WOULD LIKE TOFIND OUT IF THERE IS ANY ONE ELSE AROUND THAT MAY STILL HAVE A SET OF THESE. WOULD SURLEY LIKE ENJOY TALKING TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR NOW ROBERT W, AND WIFE SANDY.................................. PLEASE RESPOND..........

Hi Robert.   My name is  Harold F.  I am similar to you in that I bought my set of Wall of sound 1 speakers at the high end shop in town.  It was called the Shoppe.  I purchased them in july of 1972.  I also bought a dual 1229q turntable and the JVC VR5660 receiver to complete the system.  It was a digital tuner FM band only 365 watt receiver.  It drives my wall of sound speakers perfectly.  They have never failed in 49 years.  I have added tape decks and cd players to the system but nothing compares to the vinyl.  They are designed perfectly in quantity and quality of speakers. I am also very happy that someone else has had the pleasure of owning and listening to these fabulous speakers. They were kind of expensive back in the day but oh they are so worth every penny.