The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums

Norman Labs

I have a pair of Norman Lab Model 10s that I need to part with. I no longer have room for them in the condo I recently had to downsize to. I purchased them new in 1982 at a music store in N.Little Rock, AR. I paid $800 for the pair. I was newly out of college, into my first job and really could not afford the price, but after hearing them I couldn't say no either. They beat out the Klipsch horns in my opinion.

They are in very good shape. No modifications. Cabinets are dulled and scuffed, but not scratched and could easily be restored to new condition. I'll entertain reasonable offers. I can take pictures on request. As you make the offer keep in mind that you'll also have to pay shipping on these mothers and they are NOT light at about 70lbs each.

Hi.  I am new to this site.  I need help with any information, including the value of Norman Laboratories Model 16 speakers.  I can't even find a picture of one.  Thanks.  I want to purchase these before they sell, so I don't have pics.

appears to be some activity at audiokarma.org

If you audio lovers ever run across a chance to purchase a pair of these,  without question... BUY THEM.
Clear,  they rival cerwin re38 15, as far as loudness,  not bass,  but surpass the cerwin in clarity.

All they make nowdaya ia cheap tin can bullshit.

IMG_20190112_231810.jpg

IMG_20190112_231828.jpg

On 3/2/2018 at 2:37 AM, raysrx said:

I once owned a pair of these speakers. I bought them around 1978 in Tyler, TX. They were some of the best sounding speakers at the time. I had friends that owned different brands that cost a lot more, but didn't sound nearly as good. Probably the reason I don't have them now is that they were stolen from my apartment in 1981. They were made of solid wood for the cabinets. Trust me, back then, they were top of the spectrum. 

raysrx 

I’m a newbie here and I gotta say this thread/site is awesome! I love learning about the history of these speakers, especially because all my family is from Fort Worth and Oklahoma and I listen to my Norman 11s every day. My dad purchased them in Tyler in the late 70’s/early 80’s and they still work perfect. I’ll try to post a pic of them... I just have to figure out how lol

On 7/18/2019 at 8:58 PM, Breezy said:

I’ll try to post a pic of them... I just have to figure out how lol

Welcome Breezy

To post pictures, resize them to about 100KB or so and maybe about 6 to 8" on the long side.

-Kent

I've had a stock pair of Model 9 for a year or so. I like them but have been trying to sell them local and on the auction site. They are a lot of speaker for my small space, probably in need of a recap, and as good as they are do not best some other vintage large speakers I have on hand. The rear facing woofer switches on and off with the toggle at the control panel.  

--Tom G

20190130_000426.jpg

20190115_150204.jpg

20190115_150221.jpg

20190115_150026.jpg

Hi,

I worked at a store called the Sound Emporium in Lubbock, TX, from 1976 to 1978. We sold Norman Labs speakers. I sold a TON of Norman 8's, a fabulous little speaker, and quite a few 10's. There was also a 9 and 7, also quite good. I liked all the Norman speakers. I met Leonard Bernstein on one of his trips to Lubbock - don't recall if I met you, Jim, but perhaps. i remember your name and knew you had worked at Altec before. Sad to see them go. The Philips tweeter, used in all the Norman's I believe, was really sweet. I remember people coming in and comparing the 8 to the Large Advent fairly frequently. Same size woofer, but the tweeter was an improvement, to my ears, to the fried egg Advent. Long time ago. Good memories.