Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassment142

Advent Maestro Review? Anyone?

14 posts in this topic

Hey there,

Just scored some nice Maestros for $20 and was wondering if anyone here has anything to add about them.

How do they compare to original/new/smaller/legacy advents?

Was the bubble midrange a needed driver, or is it unnecessary?

Do these have real nice deep low bass like other advents?

Thanks!

Well, I got rid of them fast.  Lacking in bass for their size, not nice to look at, somewhat brash highs.

Well, thanks to you, we now have a review.

Never heard the Advent Maestro, Legacy or Heritage or  Laureate. And so, I could never render a "hands on" review.

However, I've heard Baby Advent II's a couple of times in different locations and they were really nice. Plenty of bass, not very detailed but very balanced and very pleasant.

Over the years, I have read a large number of articles on Advents and the ones that are still in demand (somewhat) are the Original Advent, New large  Adevent, 5012 & 25th Anniversary edition. I still own the Original Advent (walnut). An exceptional speaker for it's time. My only knock is the highs can get screechy.

And of course - the double or stacked Advent. Unfortunately, I've never heard them. A big deal way back when.

We will see what I think now! I just found a free pair of Maestro's that is salvageable. This winter I'll give them a little TLC and see what I get out of it. The lack of interest on these suggests that what I have here is a solidly mediocre set of Speakers that were probably sold in a Sears or Montgomery Wards back in the early 90's.

advent#1.jpg

So I just got around to the re-foam of these speakers. Think they are going to surprise me tomorrow when I hook them up. Looking forward to it.

I love my Maestro speakers. The dynamic range is excellent and most music will sound pleasant on these Advents!

advents.jpg

Advents 2.jpg

The Other 4 Advents - 6003's and Legacy II , all in immaculate condition and sound amazing!!

Advent 3.jpg

On 4/12/2017 at 11:01 PM, rogocolo said:

I love my Maestro speakers. The dynamic range is excellent and most music will sound pleasant on these Advents!

advents.jpg

Advents 2.jpg

Yeah. I've been playing them for about a week now. I unplugged a set of Allison Two's to give the Maestro's a try. The Allisons are great speakers and while the Maestro's won't beat them they come pretty darn close. A major feat considering the Allisons are worth like a few hundred bucks and the poor Maestro's can only bring like $50 to $100.

How did you make out with these Advents? I think if you put some care into them they will fetch $200.00

On 5/4/2017 at 0:00 AM, rogocolo said:

How did you make out with these Advents? I think if you put some care into them they will fetch $200.00

I made out very well with these maestro's. My comment is buried at the bottom of the post above yours: "Yeah. I've been playing them for about a week now. I unplugged a set of Allison Two's to give the Maestro's a try. The Allisons are great speakers and while the Maestro's won't beat them they come pretty darn close. A major feat considering the Allisons are worth like a few hundred bucks and the poor Maestro's can only bring like $50 to $100."

Its now been just about a month since I hooked them up and I don't see them going anywhere soon. Silk smooth sound that fills the room with no effort. I'm actually going to list the Allison Two's for sale today. These Advents are really that good.

Wow, either we have different ears or got different speakers.  I thought the Maestros were useless.  They sounded really harsh and for their size, the bass just wasnt there.  Legacy Advents sounded much better and they dont have that strange mid.

Hi There,

Your experience bassment142 with the Maestro's was unfortunate. Under different circumstances you may see it another way.

I think they are a very nice "neutral sounding" speaker. Not a bass thumping three-way I do agree with that opinion, but can get the air moving with the correct setup. Everything should be part of system that is "cohesive". I am software and system engineer so I have that geek perspective I suppose. I had the Carver Amazing Speakers (Mark IV, - OAK) but I had not enough amplification / power to drive em, also poor integration with the other Advents (sonic incompatibility) and the room size was too small to get the most out of them (and to appreciate their innovation). Luckily, I broke even with them ($1200.00).

The Advent Maestro's replaced them very nicely at 1/10 the cost. Sized appropriately now as part of a cohesive system, they are part of a compliment of Advents Speakers (Legacy & 6003's) together as my main system to deliver a concert experience. 

Great for almost any music the Advent Maestro is. However, not Metal or Rap music though.

I never get tired of listening to them with my music collections.

I must say though that to get the very best out of them (Maestro's) you need a powerful and accurate Amp that can drive them correctly in order to bring out the sonic detail desired. Unpowered amplification with these speakers will leave anyone a little disappointed. 

I have a Carver M1.5 (350 max watts) recently refreshed (new caps and opamps) driving them today. I am hardly beyond the 9 clock position with the preamp gain. They rock the house or ease you into a musical trance at the end of the day depending on the mood. I have not tried this yet, but my second audio system using a Onkyo 7.1 receiver with the Advents Maestro's would sound OK I bet, but nothing like the sonic clarity and realism I would get with the current Carver setup. I the next several months I will update the crossover with new caps in these to preserve their personal value.

They are not going anywhere as my main speaker setup.

I'm wondering bassment142's Maestro's had bad woofer surrounds or maybe drivers not screwed in tight enough. Granted, Mine have been in a medium sized room (16 x 18) with lots of stuff in it, so maybe I just got lucky with a perfect room/speaker match. As for power, mine are run by a Marantz 2270. Not wimpy but no powerhouse either.

Yes that could be the case too. Bad Woofers are common problem in aging speakers

By the way I love that Marantz 2270 Receiver (70 watts of power). That is probably a very nice match up with the Advents. 

the room size is just about perfect I am guessing for your listening pleasure.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2270.html