The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
Lucky Pierre

KLH Model Fourteen B restoration pics

I have a thread going on in another forum working out the restoration of a pair of KLH 14Bs. I haven't found much information about these speakers, other than production numbers and dates.  I thought the pictures would be helpful.

I'll update as I go if there is interest.

Peter

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

Hi Pierre and welcome!

KLH made a couple of Model Fourteens. I've owned both and I think they were essentially the same except for shape. The Fourteens were flat (ish) and could be hung on a wall. The "B" version you have has the same dimensions in width and height as the Eleven-W, Twenty-One extension speaker and others that were used with compact systems but it's twice as deep. And while those other speakers were acoustic suspension designs the 14 and 14B were ported. The drivers are the same full-range 4" one used (singly) in the late Model Eight, Model Eleven (suitcase) and Eleven-W, Twenty-One radio etc.

Nice speakers with lots of sound! Oh, and another difference: Except for the Model 708 all of those variations on the Eleven-W were run flat out with no filter. The Fourteens, as you show, had filter networks. It would be a good idea to replace the caps.

Keep us posted!

-Kent

Can someone assist with replacement cap choice?  The cap in there says 400 MFD, 446 V.D.C.  There are two resistors labeled: (1) 24 Ω, 10% and (2) 12 Ω, 10 %.

I had one speaker hooked up to a Dynaco Mk III last night.  I can verify that one driver is acting as "woofer", and the other as "tweeter".

Thanks!

The cap in there says 400 MFD, 446 V.D.C.

That can't be right. Please post a photo.

Mystery solved!  1 MFD, 400 VDC

Looking on the Parts Express site, they have Jantzen, Solen, or Audyn metalized polypropylene caps with these values.  Or should I use a film or foil cap?

IMG_0090_1.JPG

Any of those you list are fine. So are Dayton. Don't worry about the voltage--anything 100vdc or more is plenty. You could also use Erse PulseX or PEx from erseaudio.com or Carli or Bennic from Madisound. No need to spend a lot of money. Or...if you have a local electronics parts shop ask for a mylar 1.0 microfarad cap. Might be radial instead of axial but it will work. Could look like this:

s-l500.jpg

-Kent

Thanks Kent!

I will order caps today.  I have been running the unopened speaker with a Dynakit Mk III.  It sounds remarkably good for such a small speaker.  It lacks clarity, though.  I can't wait to hear these after they have been recapped.

Peter

I had one speaker hooked up to a Dynaco Mk III last night.  I can verify that one driver is acting as "woofer", and the other as "tweeter".

I don't think so. I believe the 2 4" drivers are wired in series and put in a bigger, ported box to give the speaker more "oomph." The "crossover" is, I believe, an LCR filter network.

KLH used two 3" drivers in series in the early Model Eight radio speaker. Later Eights had just one 4" driver--the same driver used in your Fourteens. The Model Twenty-One radio also used one 4" driver. FYI, that same driver was used as the mid-range in the excellent Five and Twelve speakers.

I just looked up your thread on AK (many of us are on both forums) and see you also scored a Twenty-Seven receiver. Nice find! I have one on my shelf, awaiting restoration.

-Kent

I would be inclined to agree with Kent that both drivers are probably intended to deliver similar frequencies, but then again, it's a bit unclear what all is going on with that crossover board - - there are two resistors and one cap, and is that a coil, too? What this idea has brought to mind is a speaker model from several years later - - AR's MST-1 (3-tweeters, all identical) - - where the side mounted tweeter has a small additional cap in order to perform differently from the front-facing tweeters. The MST, of course, is a rather unique design regarding dispersion and an entirely different speaker, but is it possible that the 1uF cap in this KLH is associated with only one of the two small identical drivers?

And here's a nice little ad from 1964 for the KLH Fourteen in both styles (S-slimline and B-bookshelf), including some high praise from Julian Hirsch.

KLH fourteen.jpg

Hi guys, a friend of mine has the KLH Fourteen and has requested that I renew the caps. He is some distance away and I just need to order the caps for him. Can anyone confirm the cap values for me please. From these pics I deduce that there is just the one cap at 1uF, is that right? Cheers...

Welcome Oztayls

I just went through my pictures and notes on the Fourteens and can't believe I didn't make note of the filter components but I'm pretty sure one 1uF is correct.

-Kent

On 2/6/2019 at 3:30 AM, JKent said:

Welcome Oztayls

I just went through my pictures and notes on the Fourteens and can't believe I didn't make note of the filter components but I'm pretty sure one 1uF is correct.

-Kent

Yes, you're correct, so thanks. I picked up the 1uF caps and when he dropped the speakers off to me, confirmed them to be 1uF. However, one of the speakers was buzzing. Removing the drivers I saw that one of the the fabric surrounds was coming loose, so the cone was off centre causing the coil to rub. I was able to tease it off and re-glue it, making sure it was centred. Replaced the foam sealant as well. All sorted and sounding great again!

Good news!

Those drivers are very common. They were used in some Model Eight radios, all Model Twenty-One radios, as well as the Models Five, Eleven, Twelve, Fourteen, Fourteen B, Fifteen, Nineteen, 708 and probably others.

So if you ever need to replace one, no problem.

Please post pictures.