The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
JerryS

Allison AL-110/115 tweeter question

Did Allison change the tweeter design of the AL-110/115s over time? Around 1998, I bought a pair of speakers directly from the factory; it was an unusual pair that they basically put together for me: AL-110 drivers in AL-105 cabinets.  Together with an active subwoofer (different brand), these sounded better than anything else I could afford for the past 18 years. Catastrophe struck a few months ago when a leak in my house soaked the speakers and ruined the cabinets.  The drivers were fine.  I found a pair of AL-115s in perfect condition, luckily, and bought them.  The moment I listened to them, though, I could tell the tweeters were not as sweet as my old ones. Not as transparent, airy or delicate. Narrower sounds stage. More sibilant. Nowhere near as smooth at high volumes. The tweeters looked pretty much the same from the outside, so I took them out of the cabinets...and there were differences between the two sets.  The old ones were heavier (each 27.3 ounces vs 21.3) with bigger magnets (pictures attached). I swapped the tweeters (cutout dimensions etc matched perfectly), and the AL-115s now sound superb....better than the old setup and I am beyond happy.  Added lower end punch and midrange richness.  Can anyone shed light on the tweeter differences?  I can't tell how old the AL-115s are, although I think they are newer than my old hybrid Allisons. Only one of the AL-115s has a label, and the company address is Bellingham, MA; serial # R 3607.  Thanks.

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

Old left new right.JPG

The tweeter on the left in the bottom pic has magnetic shielding on it. Could be the only difference. The magnet might be the same size as the one on the right. Speaker companies were using shielding back then because the magnetic fields would wreak havoc on the video signal that ran though the big and heavy tube television sets back then when speakers were set close to the screen. Remember, this was the beginning of home theater.

The AL 115s are older. Bellingham, MA was one of the locations of the company when Roy Allison owned the company which was before 1994. He sold it in the early 90s. By 1998 the company was in Kentucky. They sold factory direct which is why you were able to order a "hybrid." Are there any marks on the backs of the tweeters that might indicate the system for which the tweeter was intended? Maybe the tweeter in the AL 115 was not the original but replacement from another Allison speaker system

I belong to the Yahoo Allison Group and they have indicated that it is not a good idea to put a tweeter from a three-way system into a two-way system due to differences in frequency range and the cooling material used. Maybe a former owner of the AL 115s swapped out the tweeter.

On 3/9/2017 at 1:13 PM, JerryS said:

Did Allison change the tweeter design of the AL-110/115s over time? Around 1998, I bought a pair of speakers directly from the factory; it was an unusual pair that they basically put together for me: AL-110 drivers in AL-105 cabinets.  Together with an active subwoofer (different brand), these sounded better than anything else I could afford for the past 18 years. Catastrophe struck a few months ago when a leak in my house soaked the speakers and ruined the cabinets.  The drivers were fine.  I found a pair of AL-115s in perfect condition, luckily, and bought them.  The moment I listened to them, though, I could tell the tweeters were not as sweet as my old ones. Not as transparent, airy or delicate. Narrower sounds stage. More sibilant. Nowhere near as smooth at high volumes. The tweeters looked pretty much the same from the outside, so I took them out of the cabinets...and there were differences between the two sets.  The old ones were heavier (each 27.3 ounces vs 21.3) with bigger magnets (pictures attached). I swapped the tweeters (cutout dimensions etc matched perfectly), and the AL-115s now sound superb....better than the old setup and I am beyond happy.  Added lower end punch and midrange richness.  Can anyone shed light on the tweeter differences?  I can't tell how old the AL-115s are, although I think they are newer than my old hybrid Allisons. Only one of the AL-115s has a label, and the company address is Bellingham, MA; serial # R 3607.  Thanks.

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

Old left new right.JPG

The one with the can on it is a tweeter used in the NL series of magnetically shielded home theater speakers available in the mid 90s.

I found from my own experience with those systems, the condition of the woofer has a dramatic impact on the overall response of the system.

Bill

Thanks, Guys.  To summarize then, the AL-115's tweeters (the ones on the right in the pictures) are older than the tweeters on my 1998 hybrids, and are shorter and six ounces lighter only because they don't have magnetic shielding?  (Another difference I didn't mention is that the metal mesh is more domed in the AL-115 tweeters, if that sheds any more light).  The difference in sound may be because the AL-115 tweeters have been swapped out by an earlier owner for tweeters from a three-way set of ALs? There are no markings on the backs of either set of tweeters apart from a red dot or cross mark to show where to connect the red wire.  Please keep the comments/thoughts coming..... Thanks!

I bought a pair of CD9 from a private seller on letgo that had an unfortunate collision with an unknown object while in the care of its previous owner. One speaker was perfect the other had a tweeter with a missing dust cap and its left wire severed. The midrange had a wire barely hanging on neither had a signal. 

I proceeded to search for drivers and quickly learned that most every driver is the same through most models starting with the One. The Nine, which my CD9 is based on differs in crossover and bi amp-ability but aside from the 10" woofer in the 9, the midrange and the tweeters look identical to one through six, naked without any grilles, all the grilles depend on an exterior grill with these convex delicate paper drivers.

The "big auction site" as they say, had many drivers, most every tweeter and midrange in 2019 cost $125-175 each.

I finally found a guy who had a few hundred new old stock direct from the original Allison company in MA, boxed in formed stock Styrofoam that were designated for mobile auto installations. Theae were the same exact drivers as mine in the CD9 but with metal grilles attached to protect them.

Same magnet, same nipple shaped tweeter with the leads running to the edges, same midrange. Also more importantly from the supplied spec sheet, identical magnet weight, frequency range and power handling @ 4ohms

I got the tweeters first then ordered the midrange, both in pairs, both sets cost less than $180 a pair. He may have some left.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ay6V3DW49WnoZy2VA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TTZLbPLRahzmwF4r7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/44hceVLH8m8BshuF8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UQVm63t9xurqpErZA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NvTySJjeXWt1PXJm8

On 10/28/2019 at 11:40 PM, StuBotNJ said:

I bought a pair of CD9 from a private seller on letgo that had an unfortunate collision with an unknown object while in the care of its previous owner. One speaker was perfect the other had a tweeter with a missing dust cap and its left wire severed. The midrange had a wire barely hanging on neither had a signal. 

I proceeded to search for drivers and quickly learned that most every driver is the same through most models starting with the One. The Nine, which my CD9 is based on differs in crossover and bi amp-ability but aside from the 10" woofer in the 9, the midrange and the tweeters look identical to one through six, naked without any grilles, all the grilles depend on an exterior grill with these convex delicate paper drivers.

The "big auction site" as they say, had many drivers, most every tweeter and midrange in 2019 cost $125-175 each.

I finally found a guy who had a few hundred new old stock direct from the original Allison company in MA, boxed in formed stock Styrofoam that were designated for mobile auto installations. Theae were the same exact drivers as mine in the CD9 but with metal grilles attached to protect them.

Same magnet, same nipple shaped tweeter with the leads running to the edges, same midrange. Also more importantly from the supplied spec sheet, identical magnet weight, frequency range and power handling @ 4ohms

I got the tweeters first then ordered the midrange, both in pairs, both sets cost less than $180 a pair. He may have some left.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ay6V3DW49WnoZy2VA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TTZLbPLRahzmwF4r7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/44hceVLH8m8BshuF8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UQVm63t9xurqpErZA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NvTySJjeXWt1PXJm8

You bought the wrong tweeters, unfortunately.

You CAN, get away with using them in the 9, but you bought 2 way tweeters designed to operate to spec. In models 4, 5, 6, and 7.

They look identical, but use ferrofluid, rather than silicone grease cooling material.

These days, you’re lucky to come up with anything at all.

Bill