audiofreak

Biamping L1590 anyone doing it?

8 posts in this topic

Just set up my L1590''s for biamping using a parasound 1500a for the bass and my Krell for mid and highs going thru a Nakamichi electronic cover EC-100. Crossed over at 350hrz.

After a 4 hour listening session I have to say these speakers WERE DESIGNED to be biamped! Done modesty can bring great results. Done better can blow your mind! (Just saying). The increase in bass impact is wounderful. The mids are so detailed and the highs are though the roof. Gonna spend some more ear time.

Oh my yes.

I enjoyed my 1590s and their subtle imaging with good spaciousness in my fairly large room.  Then I got my crossovers and amps set up - the improvement in imaging was phenomenal.  I did not think I had any amplifier headroom issues at all, I have power best measured in horsepower.  But within moments of first firing with the biamp scheme my head exploded.

Enjoy!

- Jeff

Have had several listening sessions now and for the life of me can't find any draw back to this set up. These speakers respond to biamping better than several others I have  experimented with and just continue to amaze me every time I turn it on.

Hmmmmm......

Now you've gone and done it.  Time to look for another amp.

I am currently using a WOPL400 Phase Linear and it is incredible as is.  Incredible at all levels using my tube preamp.  Room isn't very big so I have not been in a hurry to get into biamping them.  I did have them in a vertical passive biamp set-up with 2 Adcom GFA5500 amps briefly in a larger room but I didn't keep them in there long.  Having the two identical amps I didn't need a separate crossover.

Mu guess is that the 1590's are at a level that are at home with a couple big high quality amps driving them.

HI DavidDru one thing to realize is you MUST use an external xover! Otherwise your amps will still be amplifing full freq. And therfore  no REAL benifits will be had as to the T.I.M. the difference  with and without the external xover is substantial. Without the xover it is a waist of time and money.as far as the "bass" amp goes use one. With as high a damping factor as possible (mine at 800) . In these speakers set to 350htz.and below to the bas's amp and 350 and above to the mid/high Amp. Trust me on this! 

I found pro sound xovers to be pretty reasonable, I'm using dbx223s.  I actually have four corners bi-amped (980s in the opposite corners) so I needed two of them, but they were readily available around $100.

Cheers,

- Jeff

The dbx isn't bad at all however my research has shown the RANE AC22B is (as far as pro units go) one of the better pro units as the parts used are supperior. Also it is used in many studio application's due to its quality. And they are pretty cheep. Worth looking into, I used one for a couple of years until I fount the nakamichi. The RANE is also highly upgradable with new chips and caps.plus can be balanced or unbalanced.