The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
redpackman

Allison Seven Speakers Restored

I picked these up at a local auction. Fortunately all the drivers were still functioning. So I restored them. The surrounds needed to be replaced, of course. Someone had drilled a hole in the back of the speakers to enable them to be hung from a wall (thus destroying the acoustic suspension system). I plugged the hole tightly. I replaced the 8 uf cap in the crossover (see picture). Then I used Howards Restore a Finish on the walnut veneer. Fabulous stuff for bringing old wood to life. These, by the dates on the woofers were from mid-1984. 

They sound spectacular. Very, very clear with wonderful, subtle bass. Allison's engineering genius is on display. 

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

P5164978.jpg

P5164982.jpg

P5164984.jpg

P5164986.jpg

P5164988.jpg

P5164990.jpg

P5164991.jpg

P5164992.jpg

P5164995.jpg

P5164997.jpg

HI.  I hope someone is still following this thread. 

I have a pair of Sevens as well. Blond cabs. Did the cap replacement make a difference in the sound. In most off my vintage  speakers I replace the caps. I have read in a post re: Model four caps that they were still in spec Any thoughts on the replacement? Actually in either Model, as I have just come into some Allison Fours as well.

Thanks,

Glen

On 5/18/2017 at 11:27 PM, redpackman said:

I picked these up at a local auction. Fortunately all the drivers were still functioning. So I restored them. The surrounds needed to be replaced, of course. Someone had drilled a hole in the back of the speakers to enable them to be hung from a wall (thus destroying the acoustic suspension system). I plugged the hole tightly. I replaced the 8 uf cap in the crossover (see picture). Then I used Howards Restore a Finish on the walnut veneer. Fabulous stuff for bringing old wood to life. These, by the dates on the woofers were from mid-1984. 

They sound spectacular. Very, very clear with wonderful, subtle bass. Allison's engineering genius is on display. 

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

P5164978.jpg

P5164982.jpg

P5164984.jpg

P5164986.jpg

P5164988.jpg

P5164990.jpg

P5164991.jpg

P5164992.jpg

P5164995.jpg

P5164997.jpg

Excellent work (and nice looking tweeters)!  Howard’s RAF IS great stuff. 

Hard to tell on the before and after because I just replaced the caps and because of the hole someone drilled in the cabinet, I didn't spend a lot of time listening to how they'd sound "before." All I know is that when I was done, Mr. Allison's genius, once again became apparent. 

Allison's are remarkable speakers. They are not large, but the sound is fantastic. 

I've also restored some Allison 4's. Breathtaking. Best sound from a smaller speaker that I have ever heard. Enjoy. If you've got all the drivers working, you are in for a treat. 

I’m with you on the Allison sound.

what’s so cool 😎 about them is the build and sound quality is the same no matter which model.

All those unique cabinet shapes were designed as solutions to room boundaries/size, etc.

Interesting today there is an overemphasis on automated room correction, rather than overcoming many room challenges the way Roy did.

Bill

19 hours ago, redpackman said:

Hard to tell on the before and after because I just replaced the caps and because of the hole someone drilled in the cabinet, I didn't spend a lot of time listening to how they'd sound "before." All I know is that when I was done, Mr. Allison's genius, once again became apparent. 

Allison's are remarkable speakers. They are not large, but the sound is fantastic. 

I've also restored some Allison 4's. Breathtaking. Best sound from a smaller speaker that I have ever heard. Enjoy. If you've got all the drivers working, you are in for a treat. 

Agreed on the sound. I think I may do the caps on the Fours that I have, they are a little reserved compared to the Sevens.  Thoughts on that?

The Six pair probably astounded me the most, overall. 

I have a pair Of Twos, five of six years . I have them for sale now, the versatility/size/sound of the others suit me better in my current situation.