The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stimpy

A center channel project...?

Hey Guys,

I want to build a center channel speaker, to match my AR90's.  I'm not sure why I want to do this, other than I 'think' it will be fun.  I already have some of the drivers (a pair of AR18 woofers, a pair of AR90 LMR mids, and a AR90 UMR dome), and a spare AR90 crossover, I can use.  I might even have a set of AR91/92 crossovers, if I can find them, that I could try too.  But, my main issue is finding a suitable pair of drivers, that when wired together, will match the impedance of a single LMR.  Does something like that exist?  Did AR ever build a true 8 ohm mid or woofer?  Any thing from 4.0 to 8.0 inches would be fine.  I'm thinking that 2 smaller drivers, would work better, as this should improve dispersion.  I know I could change out an inductor and change capacitance, to compensate for an impedance mismatch, if needed.  But,  i have the crossovers, which I'd like to use as-is, if possible?  Plus, I'm still debating the layout.  I'm definitely going to use a tweeter/dome midway centered pair, with the tweeter over the mid, as in my 90's.  But, then what layout; W LMR T/D LMR W, or W T/D W?  I guess that hinges on if I use a 4-way or a 3-way crossover board?

Any suggestions?  I know I'm already crazy, so that suggestion won't be anything new to me!  B)

Thanks!

I'd think the easiest way would be to run a single tweet and UMR in a vertical array, and one 8" lower midrange to one side with the same crossover as you 90's, but w/o the woofer section and the high pass to the LMR deleted (so that runs "full range" on the low end if it doesn't already).....if you wanted 8"W (MID/Tweet) 8"W arrangement with the woofers (LMR) wired in parallel,  theoretically whatever components are on the LMR low pass crossover, you should be able to halve the inductance and double the capacitance and get pretty darn close.  if you wire the woofers in series, you'd do the opposite (double inductance and halve capacitance)....

I'd size the enclosure something between an AR17 and 18 for 1 woofer, about double for 2.....

Thanks!  That's pretty much what I've been thinking too.  Especially since it would be easy to unwind an inductor, and order a new cap.  Now, I just need to get this out of my head, and onto paper and birch plywood!  I tend to 'plan' forever, before any action physically happens.  I aggravate myself sometimes, by being so slow.