The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums

unloved homes......LOL

I am amazed how many there are out there still.......and all of it was sooo expensive back in the 1970s---1980's....

I still couldnt afford any of this if I had to pay retail.

I guess people want tiny speakers, and HUGE SUV's....

On 1/20/2019 at 5:04 PM, harry398 said:

My ar9lsi gave me headaches......from hating them when I got them, to now being superior to the ar9 in detail and overall presentation to the AR9.  Thats right, after I switched from the carver tfm 42 (which works great with my AR9) to a carver 4.0, the AR9lsi is now about perfection............   The soundstage in the ar9lsi is Incredible.   wide and full.  They were dark and and boomy with the tfm 42, NOT with the carver 4.0.    AMPS change the sound.

That's odd as the 4.0t and TFM42 were voiced after the same amp - a Silver Seven tube amp. I know the 4.0 is a magnetic field amp but the 42 might be a standard transformer style. I've forgotten a lot about Carver amps as I have moved on from Carver amps. I had about 5 or 6 different amps by him. Old caps could also play a part in what you have heard.

Hey guys

Thanks so much for the input on the sometimes veiled AR 9 sound. 

We will figure it out, I have two(2)  near mint sets of AR 9 so comparison is easy just have to go room to room. As well as the AR91 and AR 7.  What I can say is the AR 91's sound clear, open and crisp although they are a 3 way.  The second set of of AR 9's were rebuilt using Benics and dayton caps. And seriously I would have to say the AR 9's with the Mudorf aluminum oil sound the better of the two sets.  What i do notice about the sets of AR 9's is the tweeters in one set are definitely louder and more , so will be doing some tweeter swapping this weekend. 

Next step is to see if I can spec out a tweeter that is close to the original.  Has anyone actually used the Simply speakers tweeter replacement ?  Also wondering were I can find all the specs on the original tweeter?

Also have a chance to get a hold of a set of excellent condition Acoustic Research Holography Imaging M 4.5 Speakers, only problem is I understand all that series were vinyl covering and not a nice wood finish. Any thoughts on the Holograph series, specifically the M 4.5  ( I can grab them for 200.00 cdn.   About 150.00 USD. )

AR9-AR91.JPG

AR9-AR91-AR7.jpg

1698031-acoustic-research-ar9-speakers.jpg

10 hours ago, brianw said:

Next step is to see if I can spec out a tweeter that is close to the original.  Has anyone actually used the Simply speakers tweeter replacement ? 

The Midwest Speaker replacement tweeter is a better option than the Simply Speakers tweeter. It is much closer to original in construction and sound.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/mw-audio-mt-4121-75-inch-dome-tweeter/

Roy

2 hours ago, RoyC said:

The Midwest Speaker replacement tweeter is a better option than the Simply Speakers tweeter. It is much closer to original in construction and sound.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/mw-audio-mt-4121-75-inch-dome-tweeter/

Roy

I got a pair for my 10Pi speakers and they sound wonderful. The people there are great to work with, too.

I couldn't tell the difference between these and a 200084-1 tweeter (AR replacement for the 200011).

Think we have traced the problem.  Swapped the AR 91 tweeter with the AR 9 tweeter and behold, the veil was completely gone what a difference. So did a plain decibel measurement with a test tone at 9k and 10k  set the original tweeter for about 65db, left everything the same changed to the Ar 91 tweeter turned power amp back on did a measurement and saw closer 69 db maybe pushing 70 db.  

So we changed out both tweeters from the AR 91 and put them in the AR 9's  ....  End result was the more amazing then the amazing I had before.  Guess I will change my will and have my ashes buried inside one of these now,....lol

So thanks for the tweeter info DavidR and RoyC. Has anyone actually used these in the AR 9?   I will phone them to see if they have a full spec sheet on the unit. 

Thanks again everyone.  

Again does anyone have an opinion or have experience with the Acoustic Research Holography Imaging M 4.5 Speakers.  The picture below is a pair I can pickup for 150.00  now, aboit 120.00 US.   One bad thing is they are vinyl covered not veneer.

AR4.5-2.jpg

AR4.5-1.jpg

Has anyone replace the ferro fluid in the AR-9 tweeters?

Thanks, I even commented in there and have had an AR-11 tweeter apart, forgot that 

the AR-9 tweeter was so similar with front screws to open them up.

He does mention hardened ferro fluid in that thread so there is hope for tweeters with 

weak output.  I would suggest driving the dome at resonance and listening for buzz in

order to perfect the centering of the dome by hand.

3 hours ago, Pete B said:

Thanks, I even commented in there and have had an AR-11 tweeter apart, forgot that 

the AR-9 tweeter was so similar with front screws to open them up.

He does mention hardened ferro fluid in that thread so there is hope for tweeters with 

weak output.  I would suggest driving the dome at resonance and listening for buzz in

order to perfect the centering of the dome by hand.

I was wrong theme !! I apologize for the confusion!

Giorgio

Thanks DavidR

That info about the AR 9 tweeter repair was very valuable.  I was also told they were not repairable.   So what would be nice if there was a speaker repair service that could service the tweeter and the UMR.  Myself I am not that steady handed and will get new glasses before attempting that tweeter operation.

Has anyone actually used the tweeter from Midwest Speakers and if so what were your findings ?  

Brian

6 hours ago, brianw said:

Thanks DavidR

That info about the AR 9 tweeter repair was very valuable.  I was also told they were not repairable.   So what would be nice if there was a speaker repair service that could service the tweeter and the UMR.  Myself I am not that steady handed and will get new glasses before attempting that tweeter operation.

Has anyone actually used the tweeter from Midwest Speakers and if so what were your findings ?  

Brian

DavidR used them in a speaker rebuild.  He talks about them in his thread.  I'm sure David will add his impressions too! 

More AR Speakers

Yes, I am using them in a pair of AR10Pi speakers I run strictly on a tube amp. You sure can't beat the cost. I was able to compare them to a replacement for the 200011 tweeter >>> the 2000084 tweeter. I was unable to hear a difference. They sound fantastic; especially the very high notes. Very clear and detailed.

The people who sell them are great to work with, too. The first pair were boxed with one on top of the other in a single box. The speaker tabs were bent and one was loose. I was able to bend them straight and they sounded fine but the seller offered to exchange them. They come with a nice plastic protective cover for the speaker face and they have their own box with foam cushioning. The seller stated they were going to have the next batch sent with a protective cover for the rear as well. On the second shipment they placed them side by side and all was good.

For the 10Pi I used Mundorf and Bennic NPE caps but put a small polypro bypass (0.01uF Vishay 1837) on the tweeter and mid series caps. I need to run them and my 91's side by side. The 91's have Clarity CSA and AudioCap Theta bypass caps and powered by a 500W SS Class AB amp with high DF. The 91s have the original drivers. I'll get back to you all on what I hear.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, DavidR said:

That's odd as the 4.0t and TFM42 were voiced after the same amp - a Silver Seven tube amp. I know the 4.0 is a magnetic field amp but the 42 might be a standard transformer style. I've forgotten a lot about Carver amps as I have moved on from Carver amps. I had about 5 or 6 different amps by him. Old caps could also play a part in what you have heard.

my brother is sending me a full recap 42.

ill know that answer soon.