The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
sudhir

AR18J Restoration - information and help

Twist them together, side by side, in parallel.  If you wire end to end, you'll cut capacitance in half.

58 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

Twist them together, side by side, in parallel.  If you wire end to end, you'll cut capacitance in half.

Ah ha!!! Can't wait for the weekend...this might yield some great results. I've noticed that one speaker is slightly duller than the other. Putting these new caps in might make the difference.

Update!

I have bypassed the switch and put in the Solen capacitor. Now the speakers sound like a thin veil of cloth has been removed from in front of them! There is a fine layer in the Aqualung Albums guitar tracks which I've missed on these speakers. All looks good so far. 

Problem again:

One speaker sounds lower than the other while playing. While assembling them back , I was checked the polarity with a AA battery. I noticed that one woofer sounded "less" than the other(in volume and different in tone too). And the cabinet which has this woofer sounds less louder than the other.  So I went ahead and bought the other pair of AR18s available (the only other pair on sale in this country which I had mentioned earlier on in the thread). They are yet to come. All the drivers seem to be in good shape on them. However the cabinets not so. So I thought Id salvage the woofers and keep the tweeter as spare. 

Super Surprise:

Dad calls a little later to tell me someone is selling an AR93EQ with shot tweeters (the seller has replaced them with some bose tweeters!) So I think the tweeters from the donor have found a new home already! Buyer is asking some 250$ for the pair. Seem to be in very good shape! I will post a new thread for the 93's later! 

Meanwhile , will update as soon as I do the woofer swap as soon as the donor arrives!