The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
LouB

2aX SUBSTITUTE WOOFERS AND ADAPTER RINGS

Hi all,

If anyone is interested, I have a pair of the TC-1028 10" woofers and adapter rings that Larry at Vintage AR has been offering.

His take on it seems that they are as good of a substitute as he's seen in a while for AR-2Ax, AR-5, AR-LST-2, AR-12, AR-14, and AR-48.

I tried them out (the rings came from Larry, the woofers were a gift from a buddy who got them from PE ) and they do work nicely,

The tonal quality just wasn't what I was looking for.

If any of you want to try them out and see whether your mileage differs, I can send them your way.

Lou

21 hours ago, LouB said:

Hi all,

If anyone is interested, I have a pair of the TC-1028 10" woofers and adapter rings that Larry at Vintage AR has been offering.

His take on it seems that they are as good of a substitute as he's seen in a while for AR-2Ax, AR-5, AR-LST-2, AR-12, AR-14, and AR-48.

I tried them out (the rings came from Larry, the woofers were a gift from a buddy who got them from PE ) and they do work nicely,

The tonal quality just wasn't what I was looking for.

If any of you want to try them out and see whether your mileage differs, I can send them your way.

Lou

This woofer will work pretty well in the 2ax with an added 1.0mh coil in series with the existing woofer inductor. As is, the midrange response is much stronger than the AR woofer, and needs to be tamed.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the pointer.

After being given these woofs, I ended up acquiring a replacement for the dead AR original.

Now I have returned them to original ( with the exception of the minor change from 6uf to 8uf midrange cap ).

With that, I don't have an immediate need for these.

Maybe someone else does?

Lou

It breaks my heart when I read these threads - I tossed 4 10"s that needed foam and a cast Alnico early pair I was burned by from a scummy ebay seller in the trash (separated spider hubbub not disclosed) because when I had them the guy who is now Vintage AR didn't want them, or anyone else (around 2005)

At the time I could have never anticipated the need and stocked up on the woofers that Layne (RIP) was selling (he had them made in the U.S. but stupidly I didn't record the particulars)

Perfect drop in fit and I actually like his woofers better than the old stamped steel (original) versions

Used them in 2axs and 5s for others and they  were both extremely pleased

I'll try and get the details on that driver (I still have access to one of the pairs)

Craig

20 minutes ago, Analogman said:

It breaks my heart when I read these threads - I tossed 4 10"s that needed foam and a cast Alnico early pair I was burned by from a scummy ebay seller in the trash (separated spider hubbub not disclosed) because when I had them the guy who is now Vintage AR didn't want them, or anyone else (around 2005)

At the time I could have never anticipated the need and stocked up on the woofers that Layne (RIP) was selling (he had them made in the U.S. but stupidly I didn't record the particulars)

Perfect drop in fit and I actually like his woofers better than the old stamped steel (original) versions

Used them in 2axs and 5s for others and they  were both extremely pleased

I'll try and get the details on that driver (I still have access to one of the pairs)

Craig

Yep, time was that the classic AR driver components seemed to be dime a dozen.

At one point, I had a pirate stash of most of the goodies from the various 10" classic iterations.

As it was, I ended up using or mostly giving away items which are now commanding relatively steep prices.

Oh well, you live and learn.

Say, are you the Craig that I chatted with occasionally on the H.H. Scott listserv?

3 hours ago, LouB said:

Yep, time was that the classic AR driver components seemed to be dime a dozen.

At one point, I had a pirate stash of most of the goodies from the various 10" classic iterations.

As it was, I ended up using or mostly giving away items which are now commanding relatively steep prices.

Oh well, you live and learn.

Say, are you the Craig that I chatted with occasionally on the H.H. Scott listserv?

No, I don't think so (I don't own any H.H. Scott stuff)

As far as those woofers were concerned I finally just got tired of dragging them around (two moves) and devoting space for them

I hung onto them because "everyone" kept "telling" me "oh, those are worth BUCKS"

I was also going to use them to hone some re-edging techniques and ideas (those projects we all have that never happen)

But when it came time to fish or cut bait (when I finally got tired of looking at 'em) no one wanted to give me 10 cents for 'em

Now I see people paying stupid money for them

Beyond historical accuracy factors, which I appreciate, there are better drivers out there that will meet all the parameters AND are a better built driver.....................like the ones Layne was selling

Off topic, but you want to hear something that is really really nice and are jerry rig/experimentation inclined (can execute without permanently hacking your cabs if you don't like or don't want to keep)?

Try a JBL 123A-3* in any AR box where the front baffle gives you the side clearance (I just cut a new baffle and attach to the AR's mounting holes so things can be reversed)  Take you an hour tops to do just one well enough to hear it

KLH too, any sealed box actually

You just might be surprised

Craig

* a fantastically constructed driver I don't think JBL ever used in anything but a reflex type box where it kind a sort a sucked at producing bass 

Hmmmmm....  

Now I gotta do is come across some JBL 123A’s!

The only reason I didn’t particularly like the TDC-1028 drivers ( even with the addition of the inductor ) was the bass had that constricted quality that the AR woofs don’t. 

But appreciation of sonic qualities is of course a personal preference thing and maybe someone might like ‘em more than I did.

Lou

17 minutes ago, LouB said:

The only reason I didn’t particularly like the TDC-1028 drivers ( even with the addition of the inductor ) was the bass had that constricted quality that the AR woofs don’t. 

Lou

The reason you didn't like 'em (assuming the rest of their "factory buyouts" spec sheet is honest) is that the 2ax box is too small for that driver

if this be the one:

https://www.parts-express.com/tc-1028-10-ribbed-paper-cone-woofer-with-foam-surround-8-ohm--299-2182#lblProductDetails

And all the inductors in the world ain't gonna fix that

That driver needs a BIG box like the junk that used to come with the rack systems, the "floor standers"

Craig