The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
administrator

Updates to The Classic Speaker Pages in 2018?

It has been over 10 years since I've updated this website, particularly the Library, in any significant way. My role here has largely been keeping the lights on (basically, paying hosting and software bills every month) and patching the forum software... particularly when genek and Carl (rest in peace) have nudged me. Speaking of genek, he recently got me thinking about if, when, and how we could begin making updates to the Library again.

One of my dreams back in the day (before running a company, and before having kids) was setting up a bit of a museum in my basement with an AR-1W as the centerpiece. The stars are not going to be aligning for me on that one, so I'm considering auctioning my AR-1W off... to raise funds which will pay an intern to update the Library. It will be a lot of work, and fairly technical, so I think a paid internship will be the only practical solution.

Any thoughts on this madness?

Mark

22 hours ago, administrator said:

Any thoughts on this madness?

How much funding?  A lot of folks use this site who might be willing to kick in a few dollars.  Can you describe the work, the timeline and what the final product will do for the user experience?

I would be willing to kick in a few bucks if I have a better idea of updates. 

Off topic...was wondering why there is no DBX section. Wasn't that company out of NE?

On 1/3/2018 at 4:17 PM, Aadams said:

How much funding?  A lot of folks use this site who might be willing to kick in a few dollars.  Can you describe the work, the timeline and what the final product will do for the user experience?

Excellent questions... but I don't have definitive answers for any of them. So much time has passed since I last worked on the website's structure that I don't know how much time and effort will be required to simply get it into a modern website development tool. That would be the first goal. The second would be an inventory of all the hardcopy and electronic classic speaker documents that I have, in order to add new items to the website and replace lower quality documents with higher quality versions. The third goal would be reassessing navigation and non-discussion forum functionality then making improvements to it.

I'll look into what a paid intern might cost and see how far auctioning off an AR-1W might get us.

Mark

One of the difficulties of using the search engine is it appears to not search on strings of fewer than 4 characters nor does it seem to search for strings containing numeric characters.   When searching for all things AR3 or AR4 or AR5 or LST there are no hits.  When searching for any speaker model containing a numeric there is no hit.  AR LST can be found by typing "ARLST" This is frustrating for me and it certainly must be so for newbies.  Tonight I spent 1 hour trying to find a post on the correct count grill cloth for classic ARs. I Finally found it by trial and error using the words "weave" and "cloth" but I knew it came from a place called 123Stitch for which it would not search.  In the not too distant future when all of the real experts are tired of repeating answers to the same questions that seem to endlessly recur, a well functioning and easy to use search engine would be of great value.

My point: Near the top of the priority list to include in the budget for site improvements would be a better search engine.  

How is the fund raising coming along?

Adams

This is an issue across most of the forums I use. There's a fairly effective workaround.

In your favorite search engine, type in the term you seek then add "site:classicspeakerpages.net"

ar3 site:classicspeakerpages.net

I don't think you can specify individual forums, though.

10 hours ago, dxho said:

ar3 site:classicspeakerpages.ne

True: From outside the forum this will get you a to single relevant thread but it will not deliver a list of all pages and threads containing your search criteria.  The comprehensive view is available only if you log in to the site.  Newbies can find the site and a single topic thread  through a google search but they will never see a comprehensive list of hits without registering.  And, if they do register and search for "AR5" they will get zero hits.  My suggestion is in regard to updating the insitu search capability after  log in. 

Adams