The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
JKent

Bozak LS-250. Any information?

I just got a pair of Bozak LS-250s and there is very little info on these on the 'net. I haven't looked inside yet or even listened critically but they are pretty substantial, about the size of the AR-2 (ish). Drivers are B199 BC woofer (12"), B450 C midrange, B200 Z tweeter according to information I found. The 12" woofer has a pleated surround--no foam. The only negative so far is the finish: fake walnut vinyl. Oh well.

I'll be back with some photos but does anyone have these? What can you tell me?

-Kent

So I listened and they sound good. Not AR-3a good but good. The tweeters aren't Bozak, they're Vifa DT25G. Dimensions are 23h x 14.5w x 11.5d. According to some sales lit I saw,  the LS-250 had a level control for the tweeter but mine do not.

Don't know how to characterize the design. Not ported but the woofers have no gaskets, so not exactly sealed and there is no stuffing--the cabinets are lined with 1" thick padding. The sales lit called it an "infinite baffle" design but I thought that was for drivers in MUCH bigger boxes (then again, that same lit stated "Exposed surfaces are clad in walnut-grained vinyl of such quality that it is scarcely distinguishable from actual wood"  If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale or a Nigerian prince to introduce you to). According to Wikipedia "Rudy Bozak never offered an acoustic suspension speaker system; he stated that the full transient response and clean bass for which his woofers were famous could not be obtained with the heavier, reinforced woofer cones necessary for acoustic suspension. Bozak began offering smaller speaker systems to answer consumer demand, but none were noted for exceptional performance until the LS-200 and LS-200A of the late 1970s."

So I guess the LS-250 is part of that series and therefore have "exceptional performance." This pair appears to be from 1982. The 12" woofers are apparently essentially the same as those used in the Concert Grand, the refrigerator-size speakers introduced in 1951!

Bozak LS250 xo.jpg

Bozak LS250 20.JPG

Bozak LS250 12_c.jpg