Snell Type C/i - picked up a pair for free

Guest Maxamillion

Guest Maxamillion

Hi guys, I'm new here. I recently picked up a pair of Snell Type C/i speakers for free from Freecycle. They were too large for the folks, so they gave them away. The woofers need re-foaming (already have the proper foams on order), and one of the woofers needs the magnet glued back on (but voicecoil is intact with DC resistance of ~6 ohms). See attached picture.

I'm planning to clean up and refinish the cabinets and obviously re-attach the magnet and refoam. Any tips/tricks you guys know of for these speakers? Anyone ever rebuild the crossovers for these (if so what worked well and what didn't?).

I have some experience rebuilding speakers (I must have 25 different pairs scattered around the house) so I'm not a novice, but I could always use suggestions from the experts.

post-104162-1240237362.jpg

post-104162-1240237380.jpg

Guest Maxamillion
Hi guys, I'm new here. I recently picked up a pair of Snell Type C/i speakers for free from Freecycle. They were too large for the folks, so they gave them away. The woofers need re-foaming (already have the proper foams on order), and one of the woofers needs the magnet glued back on (but voicecoil is intact with DC resistance of ~6 ohms). See attached picture.

I'm planning to clean up and refinish the cabinets and obviously re-attach the magnet and refoam. Any tips/tricks you guys know of for these speakers? Anyone ever rebuild the crossovers for these (if so what worked well and what didn't?).

I have some experience rebuilding speakers (I must have 25 different pairs scattered around the house) so I'm not a novice, but I could always use suggestions from the experts.

Well, the woofer with the loose magnet is fixed. A little gel Super Glue and it plays beautiful music. Next comes the re-foaming.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maxamillion
Well, the woofer with the loose magnet is fixed. A little gel Super Glue and it plays beautiful music. Next comes the re-foaming.

It took a while, but I have the Snells re-foamed and playing in my system. They sound excellent! Nice clear highs, deep bass and excellent imaging. Definitely keepers!

• 4 years later...

Brilliant speaker. One of the best I've heard or owned, ever. This is an OLD post. Hope someone did a good job of the refoaming. You don't want to disturb the mass-loaded tuned woofer cones. I sent my woofers to a shop in PA that uses an electronic XYZ location so they don't have to remove the spyder dust cap to ensure the centering of the coil in the magnetic gap. Now, get rid of those film caps in the xover and...!!

You know, lucky you. Free. These speakers, and even many of the other larger Snell models, can be white elephants. Can't even give them away :(

Archived