AR9 restoration

Mafia1976

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Ar_Pro. I was just concerned as they weigh 58kg a piece!

I will get some on order :)

Does anyone know if the emotiva XPA-2 is any good to power the 9's & will I benefit as ill be using a yamaha rxv 2600 as the pre for the fronts in my HT set up?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

You only need to drill a hole deeply enough to accept the threaded insert - about 13/16" deep.

The insert is screwed into position using an allen wrench, and the spike is then threaded into the insert.

It's definitely possible to drill too far, and puncture the cabinet; so I'd suggest putting some blue tape on the drill bit after carefully measuring 13/16".

The AR-9 in the photos shows the location of the inserts, and what the speaker looks like just standing on a carpet, without the threaded spiked feet installed.

The installation is reversible, you'd just need to carefully back the inserts out with an allen wrench, and fill up the holes.

post-100370-0-11584900-1372974363_thumb.

post-100370-0-46780200-1372974658_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the emotiva XPA-2 is any good to power the 9's & will I benefit as ill be using a yamaha rxv 2600 as the pre for the fronts in my HT set up?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

The XPA-2 may be sufficient to play modestly, but it won't bring those 9's fully to life. I run my 9's with XPA-1's, which are the monoblocks, so naturally I have two of them. I can tell you, the 9's love 500,600,700 watts RMS...

Check out my AR9 restoration thread. You can see the end result nearer the end of the thread.

You only need to drill a hole deeply enough to accept the threaded insert - about 13/16" deep.

The insert is screwed into position using an allen wrench, and the spike is then threaded into the insert.

It's definitely possible to drill too far, and puncture the cabinet; so I'd suggest putting some blue tape on the drill bit after carefully measuring 13/16".

The AR-9 in the photos shows the location of the inserts, and what the speaker looks like just standing on a carpet, without the threaded spiked feet installed.

The installation is reversible, you'd just need to carefully back the inserts out with an allen wrench, and fill up the holes.

I attached my spikes in the same fashion. My 9's had some countersunk screws in the base of it with fairly pre drilled holes functioning as the countersink, I couldnt see any functional use to the screws, so I took the screws out and put the inserts in the hole that was already there. No drilling required in my case. These are the spikes I used;

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=240-660

Hi Shokdu, I would love the xpa-1's but I couldn't afford to purchase 2 & my lounge is only 13' x 13' so I doubt ill ever get to use them to there full potential.

Your set up looks amazing & I wish I could hear it! What types of music do you listen to?

Thank you for the advice on the spike placement as I have now removed the screws & fitted some spikes. They now pierce the carpet & sit directly on the concrete floor. I must admit it was a pain to stand them up & set them in place on my own! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you already purchased the XPA-2? Emotiva puts on spectacular sales, and you may be able to get XPA-1's at quite a good deal, or an XPR-2. The other thing to watch is the emotivalounge announcements for when they are doing warehouse sales. I've bought much great equipment through them on either warehouse sales, which typically prices items at about half off (scratch and dent, or refurbished items), or the website sales on new equipment. Sign up for their email mailing list and keep an eye on; http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/board/48/news-updates for warehouse sales.

If you ever find yourself in Alaska, feel free to contact me, I'll set up an audition for you! Thank you for the compliment, by the way. I listen to all types, from the '50s to the 00's, classical, jazz, country, rock, techno, and even dubstep. I'm pretty diverse...just don't ask me to play any of that rap crap or whatever that "pop" garbage that most of this current generation is listening to.

You are quite welcome for the advice on spike placement.

• 11 months later...

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Mafia1976, on 04 Jul 2013 - 2:10 PM, said:snapback.png

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

The XPA-2 may be sufficient to play modestly, but it won't bring those 9's fully to life. I run my 9's with XPA-1's, which are the monoblocks, so naturally I have two of them. I can tell you, the 9's love 500,600,700 watts RMS..............

I recently bought an Emotiva XPA-2 Generation 2 for my AR90's. It does a wonderful job at driving them and doesn't break a sweat. I have no doubt it would drive a pair of AR9s and the Emotiva Sales also said it would easily drive the AR9s that I did not need the XPR2. It sounds great, too. Blows away the modified Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt002 I was using that had more wattage.

I used to work early 80`s part time in local AR dealership. I suppose that something like 5 AR9 pairs (including demo pairs) were sold here in Finland. I bought my pair second hand, when local audiophile decided to buy something else, after he had used them only for quite short time. I suppose that his wife must have suggested that the speakers or you have to go. I got them very reasonably, even their list price was something like my 6 months net salary these days. They were nice speakers, but I had also change them for something smaller.

But anyway, as crossover, LMR and woofers have been rebuilt. Maybe it is now time to consider if it is possible to rebuild ferrofluid cooled upper mid ranges and tweeters. I have been refurbishing Kef P60`s and their ferrofluid cooled tweeter has clearly passed best before date. P60´s are maybe 10 years younger than AR9`s and T33 tweeters are working, but dry ferrofluid sludge has been adhered to VC and other parts making HF quite dull and harsh. As Ferrotec most likely supplied fluid to AR, similar deterioration can be expected. Kef T33`s can be disassembled and fluid replaced, but our AR experts might have better understanding if AR units can be rebuilt to original specs. Fresh fluid will most likely restore response, damping and power handling to original specs.

Best Regards

Kimmo

Archived