Larger / Smaller marketing brouchure

passport

I just scanned a 12 page marketing brochure that has an marketing-type overview of the design philosophy for the Larger and Smaller Advent loudspeakers. I'd guess it was published around 1974. It is a good-quality scan and it is a single PDF file. As such, it is too large to upload here.

It is available on my webserver here:

http://archive.mgm51.com/library/Advent

The Advent brochure was one of the best-written, most convincing, most pre-emptive audio marketing pieces ever done. It speaks in an accurate tone, but doesn't require extensive prior engineering knowledge on the part of the reader; instead, it "teaches" the reader as it goes along, and shades the answers and conclusions in a subtle but effective manner that makes Advent look good.

It was written with AR in mind. The brochure's thinly-disguised potshots at (what Advent regards as) the unnecessary expense and complications of 3-way designs are clearly aimed at the 2ax, 5 and 3a.

On page 5 (The High Frequency System), the brochure takes a very effective shot at AR's goal of wide HF dispersion at the expense of "brightness," saying that systems that do justice to string quartets (wonder who that could be?!) "do not do the same justice to cymbals, snare drums and brass." In other words, AR speakers are dull, dull, dull, and don't be fooled by those L v R string quartet demos that they did.

This was brilliant marketing writing: What came across as innocent, informative, neutral writing was really cut-throat, tear-down-your-biggest-competitor content. I had many friends who bought Large Advents and waved this brochure at me (I had 2ax's) in a "See? Told you so!!" manner.

It stands as a high-water mark to this day for what an effective marketing presentation of your company's products should be in a highly competitive business environment.

Steve F.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived