Serial number and model question

Guest Tinnitus

Guest Tinnitus

I have some Allison CD6's, serial numbers F-3975X, that I would like to get an approximate build date on, if anyone has the info.

I also have a general question: the CD6's look very similar to the Sixes. Are there differences between the two - and does anyone know what the differences are? Which are more "desirable"?

Thanks!!

I have some Allison CD6's, serial numbers F-3975X, that I would like to get an approximate build date on, if anyone has the info.

I also have a general question: the CD6's look very similar to the Sixes. Are there differences between the two - and does anyone know what the differences are? Which are more "desirable"?

Thanks!!

I believe that the differences are mostly cosmetic. The front panel of the Allison:Six had the tweeter mounted on a black panel and covered by a square grill that extended to the cabinet edges. They may have only been available with a vinyl wrap, though I'm not 100% sure on that. They also had a two position high frequency adjustment on the rear.

As you know, the CD-6 has a wood veneer finish, a somewhat oval shaped tweeter grill, and no high frequency adjustment.

It came in at least two finishes (I have both an oak and a walnut pair).

I've never heard the original, but it looks like the drivers are the same in both models and if I had to guess I'd say that they both sound the same (assuming that the high frequency switch is in a position to match the CD-6 response).

Thanks!!

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer the build date question.

The original model six was tested by Stereo Review in June 1981. The CD-7 was tested by Stereo Review in Jan 1983 and had the new cabinet design. In May 1985, they tested the CD-8, so it appears that Allison stayed with the CD style cabinet from at least 1983-1985. Hope that helps.

Guest Tinnitus
I'm sorry, I forgot to answer the build date question.

The original model six was tested by Stereo Review in June 1981. The CD-7 was tested by Stereo Review in Jan 1983 and had the new cabinet design. In May 1985, they tested the CD-8, so it appears that Allison stayed with the CD style cabinet from at least 1983-1985. Hope that helps.

Jeff, thanks for the info.

Archived