Value of a not-so-pristine AR-1

bentoronto

In 1965, I picked up a second-hand AR-1. The one with the Altec "pancake" driver and bunch of binding posts on the back. Ahhhhh, how well I remember listening to AR-3s in the AR showroom in Grand Central Station.... nothing before or since plays the organ pedals in the St. Saen's symphony (Munch recording) as well... but I digress.

Um, too bad I removed the Altec driver* and doped the woofer surround with something and tossed the original grill. The case is badly scratched. But AR did send me an owner's manual in blue from a spirit printer with a nice letter from the plant manager named Roy** that I have along with other papers and price list.

I'd love to find a good home for this flawed classic and I'd really cry to see it go to the Salvation Army***. Any suggestions appreciated.

The speaker is in Toronto but if assured it was heading to a good new home, I could haul it to Delray Beach, Florida, in December.

Thanks.

Ben

* I know, I know, don't rub it in. Funny thing I worked at Bell Labs, Murray Hill, long ago and have an interest in the evolution of these drivers. We used to see Western Electric "ball park" horns and drivers sitting around, back then. I had a few. Wonder where they are now?

**you know which Roy - just teasin' you

***or continue to use it as an occasional sub-woofer alongside my Klipschorn bass and 1965 Stephens 150W

Hi Ben,

if you're talking about Toronto Ontario Canada, I'm 20 minutes north of you just off the 400 at king rd and would be very interested in the AR-1. I couldn't guess what it would be worth but we can let the very knowledgeable people here tell us if that works for you. You can call me at four 1 six 254 five 447.

Thanks, Harry.

Imagine, my baby could be getting a new home in Nobleton. What a relief. I was worried it might go to Grimsby, Ontario. Or heaven forbid, Downsview, Ontario, or worse, Hell, Michigan.

Joking aside, Harry, many thanks for your reply... will be in touch shortly.

Grateful if anyone could offer thoughts on the dollar value of this otherwise priceless heirloom.

Ben

value...whatever someone is willing to pay, although with no altec 755a, altered woofer, no grill/cloth, and marred woodwork i would think the answer is probably not too much and certainly not what one in good condition with all parts commands on ebay these days - but if low serial number might be interesting enough to spur someone to make an offer

also, there are a couple of folk who seem to specialize in accumulating miscellaneous ar-1 parts, frankensteining them, and then selling them on ebay; one of them might make you an offer....

in any case packing them is labor intensive and shipping will be a significant cost, especially if travelling from canada to usa....

could you please post the serial number from tag on back if available and do you remember if the altec 755a had a date printed on the cardboard rim?

thanks,

charles

Thanks for guidance, Charles. Any guess as to the dollar value? Anybody who watches "Antique Roadshow" from time to time knows the dimished value of modified items*, even when the provenance is interesting.

As far as I can read it, the serial is 6114. Does that sound right? Early model?

And for you folks out there with 21st century digital sound processing crossovers, the 11 binding posts on the back of this unit give you TOTAL access to all critical points in the rather complex interior crossover. Was Vilchur a genius, prophet, or what?

BTW, I just posted the one-meter mid-floor REW frequency curve (and THD) for the woofer to DIYaudio (with some remarks abusing people who are "ageist" about audio gear):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/261090-freq-response-1955-ar-1-a.html

Got to admit I was surprised by how excellent both the freq response and distortion level measured.... and sounded. I hope my Klipschorn bass looks as good (.... it does in some ways but not all).

Ben

*some goop on cloth surround and dust cap

Archived