Allison Fours Purchase and Refoam

Guest lee_petri

Guest lee_petri

Hello Discussion Group!

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Allison Fours for $120. I saw them at an estate sale and they appear to be in excellent condition. I've read that I can expect to have to refoam the woofers (if my memory serves)? Is that expensive or difficult to do myself? Anything else I should look at, specifically? Should I consider this an excellent opportunity and buy them before someone else does?

I'm new to this vintage high end speaker thing, ovbiously....

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Lee

Hello Discussion Group!

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Allison Fours for $120. I saw them at an estate sale and they appear to be in excellent condition. I've read that I can expect to have to refoam the woofers (if my memory serves)? Is that expensive or difficult to do myself? Anything else I should look at, specifically? Should I consider this an excellent opportunity and buy them before someone else does?

I'm new to this vintage high end speaker thing, ovbiously....

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Lee

Welcome Lee!

NO! Don't buy them. Tell me where they are and I will take them off the seller's hands!

Seriously--the Fours are terrific speakers. I had a pair that I bought new, also a pair I bought used for $200. Both sets needed to be refoamed of course so I used the excellent kits sold by M Sound. Kits are about $25 a pair with everything you need included. Have a look at his web site here for step-by-step instructions:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

Is it difficult? Depends on how handy you are and how skillful. Did you build plastic models as a kid? Did they come out well? If so you have enough skill to refoam the woofers. If not, there are services that will do the job for you.

btw--I sold those Fours on ebay for $400 to $500 a pair. Kinda miss them.

Good luck

Kent

Guest lee_petri

Okay okay - I'm buying them!! Got to make an appointment to get them on Monday - the seller is leaving for the weekend and now I'm nervous I won't be able to get them for some reason.

Thank you!!

• 5 months later...
Guest ponchojuan
Okay okay - I'm buying them!! Got to make an appointment to get them on Monday - the seller is leaving for the weekend and now I'm nervous I won't be able to get them for some reason.

Thank you!!

Did you end up buying these and redoing the foam? How did they tunr out. I have a pair of originals and (knock on wood) have not had to refoam yet. Love them.

Although I must admit, my old Advents are still better at low volumne.

Poncho

Guest lee_petri
Did you end up buying these and redoing the foam? How did they tunr out. I have a pair of originals and (knock on wood) have not had to refoam yet. Love them.

Although I must admit, my old Advents are still better at low volumne.

Poncho

Guest lee_petri

I bought them but still haven't gotten around to refoaming (at this point they're just taking up space in my living room) and wont be able to for at least a month. My plan was always to resell them - not sure if I should just try to move them as is or go though the refoam process.

have a pair of originals and (knock on wood) have not had to refoam yet.

Poncho

I would bet those old surrounds may look OK but if you touch them they will crumble. Don't take chances! Refoam them! Those woofers are virtually irreplaceable.

Kent

• 1 year later...

Hello

I have a pair of Allison four that I purchased in 1976 or 77. I am also not very knowledgeable about

speaker repair.

I also have a question.

On one of the tweeters, the cone top is completely missing. Can I rebuild it? Also, the wire on one side is broken very close to the inner metal ring and only about 1/16 th of an inch is showing. I have managed to connect the two ends together, precariously that is. I know I will have to carefully saulder them together. Is it important that there be insulation between this wire and the metal ring? After repairing this speaker is it going to work properly? And how fragile will it be? Is it possible at all to purcase replacement Allison tweeters?

Cindy

I bought them but still haven't gotten around to refoaming (at this point they're just taking up space in my living room) and wont be able to for at least a month. My plan was always to resell them - not sure if I should just try to move them as is or go though the refoam process.

Do you still have them? Have you rebuilt them? Are you planning to keep them?

cindy

Archived