Rebuilding AR94si speakers

kkc

Very nice job! One question: Where are the Vishay bypass caps available (without having to buy a thousand ;) )?

Kent

Hello Kent

Yeah, I know what you mean. I ended up buying a thousand.....!

Just kidding. I bought 10 pieces from rs-components in the UK (www.rs-components.com). The 10 caps cost me GBP16 incl postage and taxes. It took a lot of calling and searching to find a suitable vendor.

Of course, I still have a few left. If you like, I'll sell you for the same price GBP1.60 each plus postage. Let me know how many you need. I probably have 5 left - I seemed to remember losing one.

Just e-mail me. I live in Stockholm, Sweden.

Regards, Kunjan.

If you like, I'll sell you for the same price GBP1.60 each plus postage. Let me know how many you need. I probably have 5 left - I seemed to remember losing one.

Just e-mail me. I live in Stockholm, Sweden.

Regards, Kunjan.

Thanks Kunjan, but I don't think that's very practical. I'm in the USA. But thanks for the offer.

Kent

• 5 years later...

Well, almost 5 years later. A friend just gave me a pair of 94-Si's. Kunjan's write-up should come in handy. Maybe I'll hijack this thread and post photos of my refurb project.

Any comments/suggestions/advice welcome. The plan so far is to replace the electrolytic caps (5uF & 40uF) with film, replace the spring clip speaker terminals with binding posts, add some internal bracing. I don't like the "sock" grilles but they're not too bad--just a couple of worn spots.

Kent

Well, almost 5 years later. A friend just gave me a pair of 94-Si's. Kunjan's write-up should come in handy. Maybe I'll hijack this thread and post photos of my refurb project.

Any comments/suggestions/advice welcome. The plan so far is to replace the electrolytic caps (5uF & 40uF) with film, replace the spring clip speaker terminals with binding posts, add some internal bracing. I don't like the "sock" grilles but they're not too bad--just a couple of worn spots.

Kent

Interesting timing on this. I have my eyes on a pair of these for pretty short money. I will keep an eye on this thread, or new thread Kent may create with interest. At this point, no advice, but comment would be go for it and please post every step of the way.

Archived