Large Vintage Dynaco Seas ScanSpeak - unknown model

Guest dcsleeper

Guest dcsleeper

I got these at a thrift store. I took a look at the back plate that says "Made in DK". Pulled the velcro attached grille, and saw what looked like Seas tweeters, and rubber surround woofers and midrange. That's all it took.

I've been searching but haven't found anything that looks like these. They look like a Dyna A45 with an added midrange. There are two controls on the back, one for the 2 tweeters, one for the midrange.

They sound wonderful!

Does anyone know what they are?

post-103015-1203826909.jpg

post-103015-1203826921.jpg

post-103015-1203826928.jpg

I got these at a thrift store. I took a look at the back plate that says "Made in DK". Pulled the velcro attached grille, and saw what looked like Seas tweeters, and rubber surround woofers and midrange. That's all it took.

I've been searching but haven't found anything that looks like these. They look like a Dyna A45 with an added midrange. There are two controls on the back, one for the 2 tweeters, one for the midrange.

They sound wonderful!

Does anyone know what they are?

Hi there;

I cannot give you the model number or brandname.

I see the Scan drivers.

The mid driver I never saw before.

The 3 vents maybe a Dynaco proprietory design.

This would make for a complicated cabinet.

Interesting that they use the word, "regulator", with the treble and mid switches.

DK is Denmark, the country used in the manufacture of the classic Dynaco speakers.

I would suggest an exclusive product for Europe, perhaps.

Another interesting speaker to just show up here after all these years.

As with the Dynaco A-45, another speaker that I would be interested in seeing more information about and hearing.

Opening up the cabinets and looking at the crossover might be interesting to take photos of.

B&O was another seller of Seas and possibly Scan driver systems in Europe.

Hi

cool... never sawn this variation.

looks like ScanDyna - any bigger model than ScanDyna A45.

Interesting. Are those Tweeters two of one kind?

ScanSpeak-Drivers...

Helge

Hi there;

I cannot give you the model number or brandname.

I see the Scan drivers.

The mid driver I never saw before.

The 3 vents maybe a Dynaco proprietory design.

This would make for a complicated cabinet.

Interesting that they use the word, "regulator", with the treble and mid switches.

DK is Denmark, the country used in the manufacture of the classic Dynaco speakers.

I would suggest an exclusive product for Europe, perhaps.

Another interesting speaker to just show up here after all these years.

As with the Dynaco A-45, another speaker that I would be interested in seeing more information about and hearing.

Opening up the cabinets and looking at the crossover might be interesting to take photos of.

B&O was another seller of Seas and possibly Scan driver systems in Europe.

Hi

cool... never sawn this variation.

looks like ScanDyna - any bigger model than ScanDyna A45.

Interesting. Are those Tweeters two of one kind?

ScanSpeak-Drivers...

Helge

Hi Helge;

The tweeters are one of three I've seen used in Dynaco classic speakers.

Definitely not Seas, also not some of the Scan tweeters I have seen.

At this time I am not 100% certain of the tweeters manufacturer.

The mid and woofers are Scan.

The cone is a trademark design.

My comment earlier about the 3 vent holes being Dynaco proprietory was a guess.

The vents may or may not be copyrighted.

The designer of the original A-25 speaker system was a Seas employee but the overall design copyright remains to be seen.

Until more information comes along, it may have been a prototype pair.

It would be nice to have a drawing of the cabinetry, crossover and design principles.

With those drivers, my guess is, these were an early design rather than the Seas used in later models.

The overall relationship between Dynaco, B&O, Scan and Seas remain to be seen in total.

Other than the, "well over a million", comment from, "Gregdunns", web site, for the A-25 speaker system, we do not have any numbers produced per model or year of either speakers or electronics.

More of the Dynaco mystery, "as the world turns".

Guest dcsleeper

The drivers are glued in place. I'm afraid to remove them. The two tweeters look identical.

The cabinets are not up to the quality of the drivers. Not that they are bad, but I am a cabinet rigidity fanatic. There are stovehad bolts thru the front panel, that I assume anchor some kind of cabinet baffle or partitions.

Given a proper wood shop and wood, I would re-cabinet these. Meanwhile I will just enjoy them.

I've owned 100s of pairs of speakers, and built several. These sound better than ANY other manufactured speakers that I've owned. They do not sound better than the ones I built myself. But they are REAL close.

I keep thinking of the poor schlub that succumbed to his wife's wishes and bought a Bose surround system. and pitying him.

post-103015-1204494161.jpg

post-103015-1204494191.jpg

The drivers are glued in place. I'm afraid to remove them. The two tweeters look identical.

The cabinets are not up to the quality of the drivers. Not that they are bad, but I am a cabinet rigidity fanatic. There are stovehad bolts thru the front panel, that I assume anchor some kind of cabinet baffle or partitions.

Given a proper wood shop and wood, I would re-cabinet these. Meanwhile I will just enjoy them.

I've owned 100s of pairs of speakers, and built several. These sound better than ANY other manufactured speakers that I've owned. They do not sound better than the ones I built myself. But they are REAL close.

I keep thinking of the poor schlub that succumbed to his wife's wishes and bought a Bose surround system. and pitying him.

Hi again;

Dynaco used a pretty blue/green glue/goop to seal the drivers, fasten the cloth to their frames, and fasten the resisitors and capacitor to the crossover board.

Because of the the tight hole of the tweeter frames, it may be best not to attempt it's removal, the cabinet damage would be visible.

Even removing the woofers can be cause of slight damage if not careful.

Hopefully in the near future another owner, a previous engineer or employee with spec sheets will show up and we will learn more about this rarity.

Even the common prospectus sheet would be nice.

There must be a review or announcement somewhere.

The tweeters are Scan-Speak D3804.Can be black(like in my A-25s),light or with a fastening ring.Always with the same typical mesh.Scan-Speak started making their own tweeter since they weren't happy with neither Philips,nor Seas that they had been using earlier.This was in 1970/71.We have to remember that it was already in 1968 that ragnar Lian and Dave Hafler met and started making of the A-25.

post-101465-1205088431.jpg

The tweeters are Scan-Speak D3804.Can be black(like in my A-25s),light or with a fastening ring.Always with the same typical mesh.Scan-Speak started making their own tweeter since they weren't happy with neither Philips,nor Seas that they had been using earlier.This was in 1970/71.

We have to remember that it was already in 1968 that ragnar Lian and Dave Hafler met and started making of the A-25.

Hi Rolf;

That last sentance is new information to me and this site.

Can you expand upon that information at all, please?

You mention that Scan-Speak was not happy with Seas tweeters.

Were they using Seas tweeters with products labeled Scan or Scan-Speak, prior to Dynaco A-25's?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rolf;

That last sentance is new information to me and this site.

Can you expand upon that information at all, please?

You mention that Scan-Speak was not happy with Seas tweeters.

Were they using Seas tweeters with products labeled Scan or Scan-Speak, prior to Dynaco A-25's?

As i mentioned before according to Information from Mr. Björn Borja (SEAS Senior Speaker Designer)

SEAS was founded in 1950.

ScanDyna was founded in 1965.

ScanSpeak was founded 1970.

A-25 got on Market early 1969, developed by Hafler/Lian.

In fact, two of the founders of ScanSpeak were engineers who had been central in the development of the SEAS drivers:

Ragnar Lian and Mogens Hvass.

For further info I suggest that you try to get in touch with Mr. Lian and Mr. Hasselriis.

A brand "SCAN" is not known.

Archived