Information on Microstat Tweeter Array

Hi there

Does anyone out there have information, reviews, pictures or stories on the MicroStat ( spelling ) Tweeters Array.

This was a mini 4 tweeter Janszen 130 style speaker enclosure, which sat on top of Janszen 130 electrostatic tweeter arrays, or AR3a's or KLH ? speakers to improve the dispersion and highs output. They were about the size of a chocolate box.

Thank you.

Have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had them since 1973. Yes they really did help out my AR-3a's.

The actual drivers strongly resemble "Bozak" tweeters from that era but, are probably "Peerless" made.. Mine have turned brown with age, but still put out. I also have brochure info,  I presently use them above dual AR-LST's and they still help out, although when the LST tweeters were fully operational they sounded too bright above the original tweeters. While I'm here, does anyone  know of any original AR tweeters from around 1991-1992 for sale? I have two installed since 1991 and they handle power without problems.

Hi Frank

Thank you for responding.

Tom Tyson is probably the most knowledgeable in regards to the particular tweeter you are asking about.

There have been changes from the original front wired, then rear wired, then ?.

I bought several AR replacement tweeters about 8 - 10 years ago and they were rear wired. The dome wasn't suspended by silicone or yellow rubber ? any more but had its own suspension material. Also a layer of soft synthetic foam on the speaker front to reduce reflection. These might have also had ferrofluid. Don't know for sure.

Steve is also very knowledgeable, he might just jump into the conversation as well.

Anyone else can also assist, please.

Did you mean you have stacked LST's? Drool, drool, drool.

All the ears have perked up I betcha. lol

I read elsewhere that the Microstats contained two different size Peerless tweeters. I had a pair on loan one weekend along with a pair of Janszen 130's on top of my AR3a's. Sounded bright and clear as I remember.

There is actually at the start of Arsenal a Microstatic site. It would be nice to add this to that site as it's presently pretty bare.

I only saw the one pair here in Vancouver and they were $?.

The factory price was $77.00 US I believe and dropped down to $57.00 US if sold direct.

If you do come across your brochure, please contact Mark and send him the copy or email a file photo which can be added to this wonderful site.

Thank you very much for your feedback frank.

Have a good one.

>I've had them since 1973. Yes they really did help out my

>AR-3a's.

>I believe the were manufactured by a 'one-trick' company,

>which has folded way back. The actual drivers strongly

>resemble "Bozak" tweeters from that era. Mine have turned

>brown with age, but still put out. I also have brochure info,

>but it's stached somewhere and I'm not about to go look for it

>just yet. I presently use them above dual AR-LST's and they

>still help out, althought when the LST's tweeters were fully

>opeerationaly they sounded too bright above the original

>tweeters. While I'm here do you know of any original high end

>AR tweeters from around 1991-1992 as these were the strongest

>ones made by AR. I have two installed since 1991 and they

>handle power without any probs.

• 4 weeks later...

The Microstatic tweeter array came out in the 1971-1972 time frame. It consisted of 4 cone tweeters in a small angled box, finished in oiled walnut and white linen grille cloth, meant to match the AR speakers of that time period.

The inner tweeters were 1 1/4" cones, the outer tweeters were 1 3/4" cones. It's interesting that the OUTER drivers were the beamier, larger-diameter units, but there was never any technical explanation from the company regarding why this was so.

A two-position switch on the back selected either a 3.5kHz or 7kHz crossover point, and there was a continuously-variable level control as well.

Suggested U.S. retail price was $117.00/pr. Early advertisments in Stereo Review showed the unit sitting on top of an AR-3a (only the top portion of the 3a being visible in the ad, so as not to show its logo plate), with the headline:

"This is not a speaker. It's the missing part of YOUR speaker."

The copy then went on to say that the intent of the Microstatic was to maintain a truly flat high-frequency response off-axis. They were very careful in their ad copy not to suggest that the intended companion speakers (implied to be AR's) didn't have sufficient HF response; just that speakers ("no matter how much you paid for it") didn't have flat off-axis HF response.

I bought a set and used them for a short time on my 2ax's, but I eventually gave them to my cousin, who plunked them down on an inexpensive set of home-made 8" 2-ways that I had given him. He has since given them to a friend of his who had KLH-5's, and that combination was still in use up to a few years ago.

Micro Acoustics subsequently came out with a 10" bookshelf speaker with the Microstatic array bulging out of the front baffle, mounted diagonally (presumably to retain the same radiation pattern whether the speaker was mounted vertically or laid on its side--clever if intentional, fortuitous if not). It was called the FRM-1, for "Full Range Microstatic-1". It was ok, but not a real success, and the company faded from view shortly thereafter.

Steve F.

Thank you Steve for that information.

I will be scanning an original brochure that I have to the Microstatic site after I have done all of the AR sheets.

It was interesting that you didn't keep them or your cousin.

What was your impression of them after having bought them for yourself and used them for a time.

Steve, if you have the time, please give us a speaker review of those pairs and the AR2ax's together and as an addon as you remember them.

I have not had the opportunity to hear the AR2ax's or any of the 2 series.

My bother did and he says now that he felt they were the best of the various models he had owned way back when. He had at one time or another, AR4x's, 2ax, 5's, 3a's and LST's.

I had a loaner pair of the Microstatics and also a Janszen 130 array pair on loan for a weekend when they were new.

We used them with AR3a's all weekend long.

I only had an AR amp back then.

I then tested with a AR3a only on one side and with the loaners as well on the other.

A very skeptical listener didn't want me spending my hard earned money on such foolish trash. Humph!!! What did he know!!!

Simon and Garfunkles " Cecelia " was very much a smile factor.

I put on the record, that I believe had a cut titled, "Elizabeth Seranade" ( spell ) ( a beautiful sampler ) on it, it had oodles of bells or similar instruments and female singers. I want to find another copy on CD if it's available.

He went overboard, the skeptic, saying that the one, which he thought was just the AR3a was definitely clearer. When I told him that was the combination he looked as if he had swallowed a cat. I told him that they were going back to the store the next day, anyways. I also had (WF) wife factor back then as well. ( What a woosh I am, Heh? )

I saw a very well cared for pair of Microstatics, in their original carton even, on ebay last spring.

I believe that they went for 1 bid at $39.00.

There was an opportunity lost.

Another sad looking pair was just recently on ebay at about $50.00, but was so dusty and rubbed looking that I was going to bid and at the last second I didn't.

I thought that if that is how it is on display for the world to see and then just maybe it has been mistreated mechanically as well.

Why would I want them?

Cause, I like foolish trash toys now.

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

I have lived a long time without them, but they did add to the hifi enjoyment back then, as did the Janszen's.

The Janszen's may have long ago lost their sparkle when the diaphragms rupture but even they make me smile when I see them for sale on ebay. I never have considered bidding for them, as the diaphragms are just too sensitive, buying from ebay doesn't allow one to test them out before buying. The diaphragms are to be considered unavailable to me, so to spend the kind of money they are selling for today and perhaps having bad diaphragms is not in my cards. So sad.

"Better to have listened and lost, than to have never heard the sound of good music". Vern

I certainly don't have any attachment to any newer products.

It is interesting to see whom owns who today and they can still quote inventing hifi back 50 years ago and charging big bucks.

Life seemed a little simpler back around the "golden age".

Rattle, rattle, rattle. Sorry.

Thank you again, Steve for your very informative commentary.

>The Microstatic tweeter array came out in the 1971-1972 time

>frame. It consisted of 4 cone tweeters in a small angled box,

>finished in oiled walnut and white linen grille cloth, meant

>to match the AR speakers of that time period.

>

>The inner tweeters were 1 1/4" cones, the outer tweeters were

>1 3/4" cones. It's interesting that the OUTER drivers were the

>beamier, larger-diameter units, but there was never any

>technical explanation from the company regarding why this was

>so.

>

>A two-position switch on the back selected either a 3.5kHz or

>7kHz crossover point, and there was a continuously-variable

>level control as well.

>

>Suggested U.S. retail price was $117.00/pr. Early

>advertisments in Stereo Review showed the unit sitting on top

>of an AR-3a (only the top portion of the 3a being visible in

>the ad, so as not to show its logo plate), with the headline:

>

>"This is not a speaker. It's the missing part of YOUR

>speaker."

>

>The copy then went on to say that the intent of the

>Microstatic was to maintain a truly flat high-frequency

>response off-axis. They were very careful in their ad copy not

>to suggest that the intended companion speakers (implied to be

>AR's) didn't have sufficient HF response; just that speakers

>("no matter how much you paid for it") didn't have flat

>off-axis HF response.

>

>I bought a set and used them for a short time on my 2ax's, but

>I eventually gave them to my cousin, who plunked them down on

>an inexpensive set of home-made 8" 2-ways that I had given

>him. He has since given them to a friend of his who had

>KLH-5's, and that combination was still in use up to a few

>years ago.

>

>Micro Acoustics subsequently came out with a 10" bookshelf

>speaker with the Microstatic array bulging out of the front

>baffle, mounted diagonally (presumably to retain the same

>radiation pattern whether the speaker was mounted vertically

>or laid on its side--clever if intentional, fortuitous if

>not). It was called the FRM-1, for "Full Range Microstatic-1".

>It was ok, but not a real success, and the company faded from

>view shortly thereafter.

>

>Steve F.

IMO, this array can be used to its best advantage by turning it back to front to face the wall behind the speaker and bounce the sound off the wall. Place it on top and as close to the front of the main speaker as possible to get the widest dispersion. You can also try firing them up at the ceiling. I'd use the 7.5 khz crossover setting. You'll need to fiddle with the level settings of both the main speaker tweeter and Microstat tweeter array. I'd start by setting the main tweeter level to the indicated flat position which some may feel is somewhat muted or rolled off. That's the way it should sound. Then bring up the tweeter array until the high end seems in proper balance. Another method is to start with the main tweeter at minimum and adjust the array until the system sounds flat. Then bring up the main tweeter until its contribuition establishes directionality by precedence. With inadequate or non existant direct hf from the main tweeter, expect a wierd phasing effect especially on sibilant parts of speech. In my experiments, I usually arrive at a reflected to direct sound ratio of about 12 to 1. This arrangement creates the widest possible high frequency radiation and creates early hf reflections which arrive at about the same time as mid and low frequency reflections. It is also much more similar to the way sound from real musical instruments is propagated and arrives at a listener. IMO, this will greatly improve the sound of virtually any direct firing loudspeaker system making it much less shrill, much clearer and mellower, and far more musical.

I bought my Microstatics the day after Christmas in 1973. They were on sale at Fred Locke Stereo in CT for $99.95, instead of the usual $117.00.

I hooked them up with 20-foot speaker wire connected to toggle switches, so could A-B them on/off from my listening position. My 2ax's were "helped" out by the Micros exactly as you would imagine they would be: There was a great increase in the apparent quantity of highs, and the A-B switch was dramatic. But after a few months, the novelty grew weak, and the somewhat harsh, spitty quality of the Micros' output outweighed whatever benefits they provided. I went back to the 2's alone, gave the Micros to my cousin, and that was that. Overall, I could understand how someone might be smitten with their sound, but it really wasn't in keeping with the AR 3/4" dome's refined, accurate character. I did fantasize about a 4 tweeter "Microstatic" using 4 AR 3/4" domes, however...

As far as turning them around and facing the wall, I'm sure that would be effective for those people that enjoy that kind of spacious, reflective sound. However, the rear of the Micros was a sheet of black masonite, adorned with some simple white silkscreening, two low-rent screw terminals, a plastic 2-position switch, and a level control shaft. Not exactly attractive. I am FAR away from the days where I would let any room in my house look like some 1970's-style dorm room stereo-hobby extravaganza. All our music and HT systems integrate beautifully into our home's decor, which my wife appreciates very much. And at this point in my life, light years removed from my mega-watt teenage transistor-head years--so do I, quite honestly.

Steve F.

Thank you again for your feedback.

I think there may be more than a few of us who would like you to share your fantasizing with us.

Hifi I mean.

Did you make any attempt at creating your mini LST's array beyond your fantasizing?

I attempted to make one from Dynaco tweeter drivers which were more affordable at the time.

I didn't have any cabinet making skills at the time.

I did use particle board which wasn't a great choice.

Plywood would have been much better choice.

The end result was something I don't remember too well, but at least I had a fuseblock and pot installed in each enclosure.

A failure might be too harsh to say, maybe less than successful would be better.

At this point in my life, your fantasy might become my fantasy.

Which may become a reality, if I could find just 8 - 8 ohm 3/4" AR tweeters off ebay. MMMMMMMMMM

I remember that Dale had lots of dead ones. MMMMM

Too little time, too little money, MMMMMMM

Too much time, too little money, MMMMMM

Might be an interesting project, if all matching drivers could be found. MMMMMMMMM

Have a very Merry Christmas and all the very best in 2005 to all.

"I am FAR away from the days where I would let any

room in my house look like some 1970's-style dorm room

stereo-hobby extravaganza."

>I bought my Microstatics the day after Christmas in 1973.

>They were on sale at Fred Locke Stereo in CT for $99.95,

>instead of the usual $117.00.

>

>Overall, I could understand how someone might be smitten with

>their sound, but it really wasn't in keeping with the AR 3/4"

>dome's refined, accurate character.

I did fantasize about a 4 tweeter "Microstatic" using 4 AR 3/4" domes, however...

>As far as turning them around and facing the wall, I'm sure

>that would be effective for those people that enjoy that kind

>of spacious, reflective sound. However, the rear of the Micros

>was a sheet of black masonite, adorned with some simple white

>silkscreening, two low-rent screw terminals, a plastic

>2-position switch, and a level control shaft. Not exactly

>attractive. I am FAR away from the days where I would let any

>room in my house look like some 1970's-style dorm room

>stereo-hobby extravaganza. All our music and HT systems

>integrate beautifully into our home's decor, which my wife

>appreciates very much. And at this point in my life, light

>years removed from my mega-watt teenage transistor-head

>years--so do I, quite honestly.

>

>Steve F.

• 1 year later...
Guest bubslewis

In 1973 I bought 4 BOSE 501 seriesII speakers (decent speakers back then when BOSE made them out of wood). I also bought 4 Microstat high frequency units that sat on top of the BOSE's. Can't recall the model # and don't have any paperwork left on them. They did have a level control on the back of them and a frequency select switch for either > 3.5 Khz or > 7 Khz. I thought they really added to the sound of the BOSE's when I listened to them, but when I hooked them up at home I wasn't so sure of their worth.

When I listened to them the first time I think the guy ran them off of a seperate amp. When I set them up at home, they ran off the same amp as the BOSE's (per instructions). That may have made a difference.

I still have them.

>In 1973 I bought 4 BOSE 501 seriesII speakers (decent

>speakers back then when BOSE made them out of wood). I also

>bought 4 Microstat high frequency units that sat on top of the

>BOSE's. Can't recall the model # and don't have any paperwork

>left on them. They did have a level control on the back of

>them and a frequency select switch for either > 3.5 Khz or > 7

>Khz. I thought they really added to the sound of the BOSE's

>when I listened to them, but when I hooked them up at home I

>wasn't so sure of their worth.

>

>When I listened to them the first time I think the guy ran

>them off of a seperate amp. When I set them up at home, they

>ran off the same amp as the BOSE's (per instructions). That

>may have made a difference.

>

>I still have them.

Hi there;

Thank you for your commentary regarding the Microstatics and Bose.

I know the Microstatics should only be slightly enhancing the highs and dispersion of all compatible speaker systems.

They were designed for mating originally with AR's and KLH's but this is an interesting match as well.

I am presently going through an ebay issue where I have posession of a pair of DOA's.

I know the 2 different sized Peerless drivers are not available now, so I won't be hearing these two, any time soon.

Sad I am, finally I have an opportunity to own a pair, and all I have is two cute little walnut boxes that I can never restore.

• 1 year later...

Hi again;

Can any members that own and use or have used the Microstatic Tweeter Array, please comment on their contribution to your speaker system.

A few have already commented, thank you, but with time their opinions may change one way or the other.

Which speakers do you use and amplifiers?

Do you fuse them separately and if so what size and type?

Have you had any operating problems with them?

Have you had any drivers go bad?

Have you tried tracking down replacement drivers?

What settings have you found most satisfying?

Steve F had a fantasy about making a AR 3/4" tweeter 4 - driver array, has anyone else attempted this or something similar?

Here is a cover photo of one their sales brochures that was listed recently on ebay.

Brings stacking speakers to a new level.

post-101040-1172874361.jpg

Hi again;

Here is a few photos I've collected.

#1 is for those listeners that want and need direct facing tweeters.

#2 is a 4 tweeter array used on a model? speaker system.

#3 is another view of that array.

#4 is not a mother speaker and 4 babies.

A Janzsen 1-30 Electrostatic Tweeter Array with 4 MicroStatic Tweeter Arrays. These, one Janzsen and one Microstatic, used with an AR-3A, woofer only, was a very nice combination one weekend so many years ago.

#5 is a pair of black rear paneled no access screw version.

#6 is another tweeter vaiation for model? speaker system.

#7 is a rear view of #6, note the speaker fuse.

#8 is another front view, Pepsi can for size comparison only.

#9 another view of a tweeter array with individual level controls.

#10 a rear close-up of the insides of a 5 tweeter array used in one of the model? speaker systems.

post-101040-1172876952.jpg

post-9-1172876952.jpg

post-9-1172876953.jpg

post-9-1172876954.jpg

post-9-1172876955.jpg

post-9-1172876956.jpg

post-9-1172876957.jpg

post-9-1172876958.jpg

post-9-1172876959.jpg

post-9-1172876960.jpg

Hi again;

More photos;

#1 is a real closeup of the inside of an 5 tweeter array.

#2 is an open backed tweeter array showing the pot, switch and caps. Note that the end connection of the pot is not connected to ground.

#3 is a rear view of black no access screw version.

#4 is another 4 tweeter array mounted on front of enclosure.

#5 is a rear closeup showing, brown screw accessable back, the pot, switch and lower level wire terminal strip. Too close, probably caused a few headaches with shorted strands of wire.

#6 here is a Bose 901, OOPS, this is a very well looked after single MicroStatic Tweeter Array. All walnut was solid.

#7 is a rear view of a black rear non-accessible panel.

#8 is a view of a single tweeter unit sitting on an AR-3A. Looks very much to match and compliment each other. Notice the blinds in the background. Do they not make a good match for the speakers, I think so.

post-101040-1172878010.jpg

post-9-1172878010.jpg

post-9-1172878011.jpg

post-9-1172878012.jpg

post-9-1172878013.jpg

post-9-1172878014.jpg

post-9-1172878015.jpg

post-9-1172878016.jpg

Hi again;

Consumer Guide chose the AR-1W woofer as their woofer of choice.

I do not have a date at to whether the AR-3A was available or not at that time.

I do not include the AR-3 speaker as it has a higher woofer rolloff.

My choice was because I already owned AR-3A's and also the AR-3A rolled off lower, interfering less with the mids of the Janzsens.

The woofer of the AR-1W may have placed a chestiness on male voices, with the AR-1W's, more than using the AR-3A system.

I do not remember ever reading a criticism of the AR-1W used with the Janzsen 1-30.

Obviously there must have been just at or after the AR-3 or AR-3A introduction, there always is.

The combination with the Janzsen's and Microstatics gave the system an airiness that was hard to describe except, crystall clear, by comparison to the AR-3A's by themselves.

I cannot say with any honesty that I remember the added dispersion improvement, I was too excited with the overall improvements.

The cost of a pair of Janzsen's and MicroStatics was about $350.00 CDN (a guess) at that time.

By comparison after turning off the Janzsen's and the MicroStatics, there was no mids or highs, they had almost disappeared.

I was forced to live with just the AR-3A's for years, but those memories lingered on.

On their own the AR-3A's are an outstanding speaker system, with the add-ons, they were much sweeter.

Could one live with the add-ons long term?

I don't know, but I would like to suffer out a trial period for 20 or 30 years.

• 2 months later...

Hi John;

Thank you for the heads up.

The Microstatic Tweeters were made by Micro/Acoustics Inc.

Here is the photos for those interested in what they look like.

I have a pair of the A-50's and the A-50's cloth looks more like the whiter MicroStatic cloths, than the darker goldie colour I see.

Could be the flash or lighting.

Shipping will be an issue but if all works well, this would be a good buy at about $200.00 for the entire setup.

Let's see where the market takes it.

post-101040-1179380977.jpg

post-9-1179380977.jpg

post-9-1179380978.jpg

post-9-1179380979.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well Vern, it's almost a year to the day from the last post on this subject and feel I have something to add to the subject.

I recently recapped a pair of Microstatic tweeter Arrays. These had 4 identical 1 1/4 inch 8 ohm cone tweeters and 2 (Temple) Callins? 1 uF caps wired inside each.

All of the caps had very bad ESR in the range of 2.5 to 3 ohms.

Installing new caps raised the units output a few dB simply from the lower ESR of the new caps. They also extended the frequency response a bit. However, most surprising was the effect the grilles had on frequency response....

I examined the grille cloth used on these units and was suspicious because it had a relatively tight weave with thick strands of fuzzy linen (close up pic attached). I removed the 4 staples that held the grilles on and tested each unit's frequency response with the grilles on and off. Lo and behold, the testing confirmed the grilles were suppressing the highest highs those little tweeters put out. With the grilles on, highs rolled off around 12 khz. With the grilles off, the highs didn't roll off until beyond 15 khz.

So, a word of advice to all Microstatic Tweeter Array owners. Recap your units if you haven't already and remove the grilles for best performance. Doing that, you may not want to give them away as some here have apparently done.

post-100237-1211471186.jpg

Well Vern, it's almost a year to the day from the last post on this subject and feel I have something to add to the subject.

I recently recapped a pair of Microstatic tweeter Arrays. These had 4 identical 1 1/4 inch 8 ohm cone tweeters and 2 (Temple) Callins? 1 uF caps wired inside each.

All of the caps had very bad ESR in the range of 2.5 to 3 ohms.

Installing new caps raised the units output a few dB simply from the lower ESR of the new caps. They also extended the frequency response a bit. However, most surprising was the effect the grilles had on frequency response....

I examined the grille cloth used on these units and was suspicious because it had a relatively tight weave with thick strands of fuzzy linen (close up pic attached). I removed the 4 staples that held the grilles on and tested each unit's frequency response with the grilles on and off. Lo and behold, the testing confirmed the grilles were suppressing the highest highs those little tweeters put out. With the grilles on, highs rolled off around 12 khz. With the grilles off, the highs didn't roll off until beyond 15 khz.

So, a word of advice to all Microstatic Tweeter Array owners. Recap your units if you haven't already and remove the grilles for best performance. Doing that, you may not want to give them away as some here have apparently done.

Hi Carl;

The only manufacturer's literature I ever read mentioned that there is two of each different sized tweeter.

I believe it was a reviewer that mentioned that they used Peerless tweeters, at least in a tested pair.

The manufacturer did not mention which brand or model tweeters were used in their literature, that I can remember.

They also did not mention why they used the larger pair on the extreme outside.

Kent, I believe, has written here much about his MicroStatic tweeters, including, using, modding and taking some photos.

Originally, when marketed, the cabinets were all solid walnut wood, two pairs of different sized tweeters were used, the smaller pair on the front surface, and the rear cover's were screwed onto the enclosure for future access.

It is yet to be determined, by date or serial number, when the manufacturer changed from screw mounted to glued rear panel and when they changed driver size and brand.

It is my opinion, that once they changed from Peerless to other another brand and possibly downsized to just one size tweeter, they started glueing the rear cover.

This meant no easy access to the insides.

Kent removed a glued pair of rear covers and took some photos, he can add more to this topic about what he did in total.

I believe that potential buyer's may have shied away if they had known about the driver changeout.

Peerless maybe had a good name at that time.

I took some photos of a recent ebay auction with the front somewhat clear that there was two different size tweeters, if you look real close.

This pair, one has a clear serial number label, not a low one either, has a glued on rear panel.

The grille cloth reminds me of the the OEM beige linen cloth that AR had used at one time.

I read many time about grill cloths causing a poor performance for many speaker systems.

AR and Dynaco's cloth was fairly neutral as I remember, not perfect though.

I guess the possibly of driver damage weighed against having cloths glued on was not as important back then.

It is interesting that you found such a audible and measureable difference with and without the cloths on.

Thank you for the re-cap advice, Carl.

I would not recommend anyone removing the grille cloths due to the possiblity of cloth or frame damage and worse yet, driver cone damage.

Kent or someone else may have advice on it's safe removal.

The rear screw panel accessible drivers can be re-capped safely at least.

The glued on rear cover may be damaged with improper removal.

Kent or someone else may have advice on it's proper removal.

Because of my serious hearing loss, I can't comment on any sounds above 2,000 hertz in the future.

My numerous house floods has not allowed me to have a stereo connected up since just after I moved here.

If it not too late, Carl, is it possible to take a front photo, with the cloth removed and a closeup of the inside of the rear of the cabinet, please.

post-101040-1211508650.jpg

post-101040-1211508661.jpg

Attached is a pic of the front. However, I have already glued the back panel back on. It looks the same as in your photo. One of the units I have has ser. #08036. The other is missing the last digit. The inside of the one's I'm working on looks the same as in the earlier photos; only the caps I had were a different color. Black with red end caps. The back panels were glued on but came off easily with a little prying. Some of the black cardboard delaminated, but nothing serious.

The pic clearly shows the cabs were machined out for a different shaped tweeter in all 4 locations. So, looking at your pic and mine and others posted earlier, it's obvious Micro/Acoustics Corp. made a few changes during the life of the tweeter array which is altogether not uncommon as we all well know from other classic speakers at this site.

post-100237-1211548149.jpg

Attached is a pic of the front. However, I have already glued the back panel back on. It looks the same as in your photo. One of the units I have has ser. #08036. The other is missing the last digit. The inside of the one's I'm working on looks the same as in the earlier photos; only the caps I had were a different color. Black with red end caps. The back panels were glued on but came off easily with a little prying. Some of the black cardboard delaminated, but nothing serious.

The pic clearly shows the cabs were machined out for a different shaped tweeter in all 4 locations. So, looking at your pic and mine and others posted earlier, it's obvious Micro/Acoustics Corp. made a few changes during the life of the tweeter array which is altogether not uncommon as we all well know from other classic speakers at this site.

Hi Carl;

Thanks for the photo.

I have never seen such a different looking driver cabinet face before.

It is obvious they used at least different tweeters now, judging by the routered opening.

The tweeter in the photo is a Peerless tweeter.

The two opposing screw holes will be interesting when we find a tweeter that was mounted using those means.

I see the hole above the tweeter's frame is open, if of little concern.

At least with your two serial numbers we have some ranges to keep track of.

I've read elsewhere that they also used a Japanese tweeter, I believe.

When you think about it, if you were a potential customer and heard that they stopped using Peerless tweeters and went to Japanese or other source, would you change your point of view?

Now, more than ever, up to a serial number, at which number we do not know yet, will determine the actual point of desirablity, rather than not.

The search goes on.

• 2 weeks later...
dynaco_dan said:
Kent, I believe, has written here much about his MicroStatic tweeters, including, using, modding and taking some photos.

Kent removed a glued pair of rear covers and took some photos, he can add more to this topic about what he did in total.

Hi Vern and Carl
I see the photos in the earlier thread are gone, so here are some new ones. No trick to removing the back panel--it just pries off. Before replacing it I coated the back (inside) with epoxy for strength. This photo shows the wavy epoxy. On the other tweeter I layered plain brown kraft paper over the epoxy and it made for a neater job. You can see I removed the terminal strip and slide switch by drilling out the rivets. Replaced them with brass machine screws. Attached the back panel with #4 x 1/2" Phillips flat head screws. New Dayton caps. I don't know if the volume control is an L-pad or pot, but on my crude diagram I called it an L-pad. Hope this is helpful
Kent

edit: The epoxy is totally unnecessary. Just pry the back off, leave everything in place, replace the caps. De-ox-it the switch, glue the back on with Aleene's Tacky Glue (or Elmer's).

post-101828-1212386217.jpg

post-101828-1212386229.jpg

post-101828-1212386239.gif

after.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Below are some more pics of a much older set of Arrays than I posted earlier here. They show the original array of 2 large and 2 small Pioneer cone tweeters. Also worthy of note is the earlier grille cloth was much more open than the later as shown in one of the pics. Older, more open is on the right and newer problematic cloth is on the left.

post-100237-1214416437.jpg

post-100237-1214416454.jpg

post-100237-1214416481.jpg

post-100237-1214416498.jpg

post-100237-1214416514.jpg

Below are some more pics of a much older set of Arrays than I posted earlier here. They show the original array of 2 large and 2 small Pioneer cone tweeters. Also worthy of note is the earlier grille cloth was much more open than the later as shown in one of the pics. Older, more open is on the right and newer problematic cloth is on the left.

Hi Carl;

I wonder now how many variations of the array were made.

I see that they only used 2 opposing screws to mount the larger driver.

The cabinet frame is only routed out for the large driver, not like one example of Kent's photo's.

With this improved web site I see the photos are much clearer now, thank you, Mark.

Vern

Vern, I took that frontal pic just after removing the grille and didn't notice the absence of 2 screws on the larger tweeter until I started working on recapping it.

It turns out those two screws were quite short and loose. I replace all with 4 longer ones.

Archived