2ax woofer issue. Fixable?

stupidhead

Hello all. Haven't had much time lately. Here in Southern New Hampshire we have had unrelenting snow and cold for the past month! I sell snow blowers for a job and it has been a very busy time. I have not had much time to myself for audio stuff, but today I finally had some.

Sometime ago I acquired yet another set of 2ax speakers in reasonable overall minty shape. Serials 168724 label intact and the other the label was strategically ripped and the stamp number is gone. The set is very similar, same drivers etc. so I think it is safe to assume 168??? or something close.

post-170704-0-39421400-1424639448.jpg

I start taking the drivers out to access the xo, and yes the surrounds need to be replaced. I have not done too many refoams but enough to be comfortable with it. A couple of observations while cleaning up the old foams. There was a distinct soft and almost moist feel to the broken down foam. Others I have done seemed more dry and crusty sort of. Maybe I am losing my mind. All I know is the more i do this the more interesting it becomes. I have three different sets of 2ax and they are all distinctly different. Three different styles of tweeters, one the drivers are flush mounted on the baffle, the other two are recessed and on and on.

Here is an enhanced pic of the backside of the mid, what does this tell us?

post-170704-0-68384200-1424639519.jpg

and might as well throw in a pic of the tweeter which I am going to leave in place for now. I will isolate it and test it to be sure it is worthy. The less I fuss with that wire the better!

post-170704-0-06940500-1424639542.jpg

So back to the woofer. After cleaning it up there is still a notable ridge of glue around the whole cone. Should I worry about this before refoaming commences? I have heard using acetone to carefully remove old glue, but a smidge concerned about the perceived "moist" feel of the cones edge. Thoughts?

post-170704-0-13841100-1424639416.jpg

A two dimensional pic doesn't really give you depth but again it is a raised ridge of glue about 1/4" in on the cone. So as I ponder these things, I figured I would cut out the old dust cap and start preparing for foam! Then I saw this...

post-170704-0-12773900-1424639573.jpg

which doesn't look good to me. Also, I have no background with this. Is this fatal? Can this be fixed? Can I fix it? Don't really even know what I am looking at but the amount of wire that is showing doesn't look like it would fit back in where it came from!

Geoff

post-170704-0-13841100-1424639416_thumb.

post-170704-0-39421400-1424639448_thumb.

post-170704-0-68384200-1424639519_thumb.

post-170704-0-06940500-1424639542_thumb.

post-170704-0-12773900-1424639573_thumb.

Hello all. Haven't had much time lately. Here in Southern New Hampshire we have had unrelenting snow and cold for the past month! I sell snow blowers for a job and it has been a very busy time. I have not had much time to myself for audio stuff, but today I finally had some.

Sometime ago I acquired yet another set of 2ax speakers in reasonable overall minty shape. Serials 168724 label intact and the other the label was strategically ripped and the stamp number is gone. The set is very similar, same drivers etc. so I think it is safe to assume 168??? or something close.

post-170704-0-39421400-1424639448.jpg

I start taking the drivers out to access the xo, and yes the surrounds need to be replaced. I have not done too many refoams but enough to be comfortable with it. A couple of observations while cleaning up the old foams. There was a distinct soft and almost moist feel to the broken down foam. Others I have done seemed more dry and crusty sort of. Maybe I am losing my mind. All I know is the more i do this the more interesting it becomes. I have three different sets of 2ax and they are all distinctly different. Three different styles of tweeters, one the drivers are flush mounted on the baffle, the other two are recessed and on and on.

Here is an enhanced pic of the backside of the mid, what does this tell us?

post-170704-0-68384200-1424639519.jpg

and might as well throw in a pic of the tweeter which I am going to leave in place for now. I will isolate it and test it to be sure it is worthy. The less I fuss with that wire the better!

post-170704-0-06940500-1424639542.jpg

So back to the woofer. After cleaning it up there is still a notable ridge of glue around the whole cone. Should I worry about this before refoaming commences? I have heard using acetone to carefully remove old glue, but a smidge concerned about the perceived "moist" feel of the cones edge. Thoughts?

post-170704-0-13841100-1424639416.jpg

A two dimensional pic doesn't really give you depth but again it is a raised ridge of glue about 1/4" in on the cone. So as I ponder these things, I figured I would cut out the old dust cap and start preparing for foam! Then I saw this...

post-170704-0-12773900-1424639573.jpg

which doesn't look good to me. Also, I have no background with this. Is this fatal? Can this be fixed? Can I fix it? Don't really even know what I am looking at but the amount of wire that is showing doesn't look like it would fit back in where it came from!

Geoff

Geoff,

Looks like a winding or two of the voice coil has come loose and gotten into the voice coil gap. Not sure that would be an easy fix but you can pop the spider off and see what's going on otherwise these woofers seem to be readily available. You will have to unsolder the leads attached to the basket connectors to get the entire assembly out. The cone looks the same as the ones on my 5s. The ridge will stay on and you will glue to it as you have it shown.

Oh, just to satisfy my curiosity. Take some kind of a burnishing tool like the end of a Sharpie pen and burnish the remains of the label about center speaker and see if a serial number doesn't appear underneath. You will see it fairly quickly if it is there.

Quick ? on your day job. Snow blowers haven't been getting much use around here the last few years. A friend asked me to put one back in service for him but gas was left in the carb. Tecumseh 5hp w/carb that only has 60 on it for an id. Needs a gasket set and a fuel shut off valve minimum. Head me in the right direction, please :)

Roger

Hey Roger,

Thanx for the input. I will see about serial number, and will look at the spider and basket thing. Not something I have ever done and your description makes it sound oh so easy. Is the effort worth it and is a fix certain or should I bail on this one and procure a replacement. I am interested in dissecting this to try and correct the problem however, is there a tutorial that might help me?

As for the carb ? is the carb adjustable (under the bowl) or not. That will determine the rebuild kit number and both are readily available for under $20. Fuel shut kit is also available, I believe like $12 or so.

Geoff

Another good reason to always use shims! ;)

That woofer looks like toast to me but if anyone here will know for sure it'd be Roy.

Fortunately, as Roger said, these are easy to find.

Another possibility would be to contact Bill LeGall at Millersound. He's a wizard and can sometimes fix the un-fixable.

-Kent

Well, much easier to just get another woofer. There seem to be a few on the auction site at the moment. Breaking the spider loose is fairly easy. Rewinding the coil may or may not be easy. I believe the wire is held in place with a coat of lacquer. If you get that far then you will need a suitable glue to reattach the spider. Here is a photo of what it looks like

post-173498-0-65651400-1424711947_thumb.

I'll send you a message on the carb

Roger

Another good reason to always use shims! ;)

That woofer looks like toast to me but if anyone here will know for sure it'd be Roy.

-Kent

I agree, Kent...

Toast...and another issue beginning to show up in old woofers. The glue holding the voice coil to the voice coil fomer is letting go. There is no simple repair. Fortunately these woofers are fairly common at decent prices.

Roy

I agree, Kent...

Toast...and another issue beginning to show up in old woofers. The glue holding the voice coil to the voice coil fomer is letting go. There is no simple repair. Fortunately these woofers are fairly common at decent prices.

Roy

Thanx folks! Toast it is.

So clearly I am in the marketplace for a replacement. ;)

I will take this opportunity to do some dissection as well!

I betcha Roy C has one of those woofers ready to go and you won't have to wonder about what you are getting.

The photo I posted above is from a woofer off the auction site that had been refoamed with the wrong foam and subsequently self-destructed. Save your parts. They may come in handy one of these days and have fun!

Roger

Archived