Large PDF file to post

Howard Ferstler

Attention Allison and AR fans:

I have a huge (over 25 MB, I think) PDF file that I would like to put on the site for people to read. The file is so large that my Yahoo email, with its 10 MB attachment limit will not allow me to send copies to anybody.

Basically, it is the original AES preprint copy of the paper Roy Allison and Bob Berkovitz did back in October of 1970, for presentation at the 39th Convention. The draft title is: "The Sound Field in Home Listening Rooms." This draft should be somewhat larger and easier to read than the published version that appeared in the JAES.

It includes 9 pages of text, plus over three dozen photos, graphs, and illustrations.The article basically defines the performance of the AR-3a, and it also has comparative info on the AR-4 that helps to explain the importance of the dominant reverberant field in home-listening areas.

I have never downloaded anything this big before to the site (I have downloaded photos on the Allison part of the site, but those are pint sized compared to this file), and I would prefer to put the material in a place where people could access it easily. It is relevant to anybod interested in AR or Allison speakers, as well as Advent, KLH, etc. to some extent. Supposedly, a file this big can be compressed to some degree, and I have contacted a computer tech buddy to ask how it may be done. Still, if the full version can be handled by the site, that is fine.

Thanks for any feedback anybody here can offer about how to pull this off smoothly.

I am best contacted at ferstler@yahoo.com but obviously responses here would be seen by me, too.

Howard Ferstler

It's a very interesting paper, but you may want to check the LEGALITY of downloading it to this site for free.

I purchased this paper from the JAES website a few years ago for $20, and unless it's suddenly in the public domain, this paper probably has some copyright restrictions.

We should respect the copyrighted work of others. If the JAES still owns the rights, it shouldn't be downloaded.

Steve F.

Hey Howard

Send a PM to Mark and ask for his snailmail address, then burn the file to disk. I just mailed him a pdf today that I hope will show up soon.

Kent

I hope the preprint is a hit. It is longer than the version printed in the JAES, and I think it buries any ideas Zilch expressed regarding Allison's accurate research into reverberant field behavior and the impressive performance of the AR-3a in real-world rooms, as well. Anybody who reads it clear through will see that Zilch was talking through his hat as he "analyzed" what Allison was saying and proving. It also highlights the value of reverberant-field analysis.

Yeah, that Zilch guy is clearly clueless; the truth is easily determined via an accurate propagation loss determination in a typical listening room. I thought for sure you would be the first to report findings for the renowned marshmallow experiment, but I certainly expected to see your results posted by now. You can still win, of course.

You will be pleased to learn that I quoted you authoritatively in busting an AR myth over on AK. We also discovered how one manufacturer in particular has been enduringly successful in misapplying Allison's thesis, long after most all others, including AR itself, had abandoned it.

Thank you for arranging publication of the original AES paper. I look forward to perusing the detail here at CSP.... ;)

Archived