Allison One tweeter woes!

s forrey

Hello all,

I have a beautiful pair of Allison Ones (early model with front-wired tweeters) that I picked up about four years ago and have been enjoying since. They're an exceptionally nice pair with perfect cabinets, and after having the woofer surrounds replaced they've sounded fantastic in my system.

(By way of background, in around 1981 when I was in high school near DC I purchased a new pair of Sixes and, hooked on the transparent Allison sound, used them up until I picked up these Ones.)

Yesterday I discovered that in one speaker BOTH tweeters have stopped working. I don't have the skills to diagnose or repair them myself... any thoughts? Could both tweeters have blown at once or could I be lucky and perhaps something else is the culprit?

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in the NYC area to take a look at these speakers?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

-Steven

Many thanks for such a quick and thorough reply. It's late now but I'll look forward to testing the tweeters as per your instructions tomorrow. I have to admit - the thinness of the tweeter wires scares me, so I'll certainly proceed with caution!

If anyone knows a qualified tech within reasonable driving distance of NYC I'd still be interested to kow. Someday I'd love to have somebody go through the speakers and take a look at the crossovers, caps, gaskets, etc.

Best

Steven

Hi Howard,

I've just tested the tweeters using a battery as per your instructions and the good news is that both tweeters emit crackling sounds, so it seems that the units themselves are ok.

The bad news is that now I have to get into the cabinets and track down the open connection :P

I'll report back on how it goes.

Thanks again,

Steven

Archived