Spade terminal

DavidDru

Where can I purchase the female banana end used on these? I can't seem to locate them at Part Express.

Will have to get John to clue us in. I couldn't find them either. Following Tom's lead there, no pun intended, I have seen some prefabbed sets with spades and bananas attached in various lengths. You can also buy the tool and rings and save a lot of cash in the long run.

Here is straight or angled banana/spade adapter from Amazon also available less expensively on the auction site which is a simpler solution presuming you want the quick disconnect safety of banana plugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Spade-Adapter-Speaker-Connector/dp/B006Z8NE18

Roger

Well, after spending way too much time on this, I decided to use Sewell Deadbolts. If I decide I need the added safety of slip-type connectors I'll go Tom's route with crimp on spades.

Roger

Update: The Sewell Deadbolts are a bit large and made to fit around the post of banana plug jacks. They are nice and can be made to fit but not optimal without modification. Back to Tom's #8 rings...

Agreed roger, it seems we can spend a lot of time trying to perfect this little connection. A big part of that is not having good and easy access to the little parts to put something together.

I am communicating with the folks at blue Jeans Cables a little about this because I am also trying to determine the best termination for the other end of a set of speaker wire that will connect to my Dynaco ST70 which has the simple screw terminal. I think they promote "keep it simple stupid'.

• 5 months later...

I am an old mil-spec nut from way back. Years ago I designed a mil-spec wiring system (based on aircraft-wiring specifications) for Hatteras Yacht Company that used Thomas & Betts "Sta-Kon" solderless terminals and connectors. These connectors were designed to withstand constant vibration and stress, but the system is so good that I have used it for years with all of my high-fidelity connections, especially the "classic" series of AR speakers. Mil-spec T&B Sta-Kon terminals and tools are expensive, but good crimping tools and good-quality ring or spade terminals will pay off in the long run with "0" problems with connectivity. The "standard" of all mil-spec crimping tools for 16-14 ga and 12-10 ga solderless terminals is the venerable old T&B WT-145A (but there are many other tools of nearly equal quality). A new WT-145A will cost several hundred dollars ($650+), but used ones are readily available on eBay for a fraction of the cost!

--Tom Tyson

Okay, Tom,

I took the plunge on the T&B WT-145A. Thanks for your seasoned advice.

post-173498-0-52143500-1426786438_thumb.

Roger

Me too. Used it yesterday and it's much better than the Chinese tool I used before.

Also bought the Hollingsworth H7B because I like the name ^_^

http://products.hollingsworth.com/Item/ratchet-crimp-tool-22-14-gauge-crimps-fit-fiig-window-butt/

That works great too. Don't need both though.....

And the one drawback is they only work with insulated crimps. I have a Klein general-purpose tool that's "OK" with non-insulated but no ratchet action so tough to squeeze.

-Kent

Can I ask where you guys got em and how much they were?

I've been keeping an eye out for one in an estate/garage sale etc. Does Harbor freight have one for cheap that will work well enough I wonder?

As Weird Al Yankovic sang; "I found it on EEEEbay"

Prices are all over the map. A new one is about $500 (seriously!--Google it). Used ones on the auction site seem to run 25 to 99 or more. Pretty sure I paid 25. Sometimes you can get a steal if you're patient. I see a couple have sold for under $10. There's always the chance of a damaged die I suppose but parts are still available.

Search for Thomas & Betts or Shur-Stake 145. There were 145A, B, C but AFAIK any will do.

Yes, Harbor Freight and others have the cheap Chinese ones that work "OK". I had one, sold it when I got the real deal. See the "Central Forge Ratcheting Crimping Tool."

-Kent

Me too. Used it yesterday and it's much better than the Chinese tool I used before.

Also bought the Hollingsworth H7B because I like the name ^_^

http://products.hollingsworth.com/Item/ratchet-crimp-tool-22-14-gauge-crimps-fit-fiig-window-butt/

That works great too. Don't need both though.....

And the one drawback is they only work with insulated crimps. I have a Klein general-purpose tool that's "OK" with non-insulated but no ratchet action so tough to squeeze.

-Kent

Yeah, insulated mil-spec crimps work for me.

The uninsulated tool is here: http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?check=Y∂=ERG4002

There are other brands -- Greenlee, Ideal, etc. Not sure if they are mil-spec or if that would matter in this case.

Roger

Will have to get John to clue us in. I couldn't find them either. Following Tom's lead there, no pun intended, I have seen some prefabbed sets with spades and bananas attached in various lengths. You can also buy the tool and rings and save a lot of cash in the long run.

Here is straight or angled banana/spade adapter from Amazon also available less expensively on the auction site which is a simpler solution presuming you want the quick disconnect safety of banana plugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Spade-Adapter-Speaker-Connector/dp/B006Z8NE18

Roger

These are the ones I use to.

Fit perfect and work flawless.

you can find some great prices on some of this interconnect stuff on Amazon, especially if you have prime for free shipping. I looked at that link and ended up buying a different version that was a 4 pack. Don't know if the quality will be as good but I will find out I guess. Also found some good banana plugs at a good price. I had been pricing them on PE and boy did they add up fast in price. Happy for the link from Roger and repost from VM!

I have been trying to figure out a way to bi-wire some of my speakers, and that get expensive too. Anybody do that? I will probably just buy some of the Canare4S11 cable ($1.35/ft) 4 strand wire and make my own. Otherwise blueJeans cable wasn't too bad.

you can find some great prices on some of this interconnect stuff on Amazon, especially if you have prime for free shipping. I looked at that link and ended up buying a different version that was a 4 pack. Don't know if the quality will be as good but I will find out I guess. Also found some good banana plugs at a good price. I had been pricing them on PE and boy did they add up fast in price. Happy for the link from Roger and repost from VM!

I have been trying to figure out a way to bi-wire some of my speakers, and that get expensive too. Anybody do that? I will probably just buy some of the Canare4S11 cable ($1.35/ft) 4 strand wire and make my own. Otherwise blueJeans cable wasn't too bad.

David,

JMHO, but i-wiring is kind of a waste, bi-amping on the other hand has some advantages.

Roger

Archived