Death of an AR3 Midling

DavidDru

Saddens me to say there is a new casualty in our fight to preserve these great old speakers. One of my AR3 mids is dead. I had hoped Roy would be able to bring it back, but in the end he was unable to resuscitate it. I understand it was a good fight, but there was just too much internal damage. Only with a replacement dome and voice coil assembly would a rescue have been possible.

With one remaining, and considering speakers work best in pairs if I want stereo, I now find myself in need of another as a replacement. So, if someone out there happens to know of one that may be available, I have a home for it. I have posted an add for it in the wanted section. BTW, this is not a restoration for a flip as I hope these would become a focal point of my vintage system once complete.

I am aware of the option of changing out the mids entirely to the later version, but I would much rather wait and try to find the original spec version for the 1964 AR3.

Maybe this seller in Holland will ship to the US?: click

He writes that the unit has front wiring, measures correct, but hasn't been able to test in a complete speaker: he asks for a nice bid.

You can email by pressing 'email deze adverteerder' (email advertiser) and you place a bid by pressing 'Plaats bod' (Place bid), but first of all you have to make an account at 'Marktplaats'.

I imagine those guys are getting as hard to find as hen's teeth these days which is one reason I bought and extra pair of 5s for worst case scenario -- driver donor status.

If I see any I'll point you that way. The one in Holland looks different in construction.

Yeah, I think that one is an earlier version which Larry at vintageAR also has. (I believe) Super hard to come by but I am hoping someone has just the one, even if it needs work.

The mid in the Dutch photo is the earliest version of the AR-3 mid, with the monster magnet and no fiberglass pad on the dome. The next version was the same mid with the fiberglass pad, and then came your version, Dave.

All versions are getting hard to find in decent condition (regardless of price). Last year I was assisting Larry with the restoration of a pair of AR-3's. At the time we had 5 mids to choose from, and no two of them had the same output. We settled on two that were "close". It is a good thing the AR-3 has level controls.

Roy

Funny. Mine looked like the Dutch one. They were from SN 19051 & 21651.

-Kent

oh--I see Roy posted an explanation while I was typing.

post-101828-0-38777100-1424378169_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived