AR Amplifier - Excellent Photos

ar_pro

Great photos! Thank for the links. Wish I could read all the captions.

I'm left with mixed feelings: Sort of miss my AR amp & tuner but those photos make me glad I sold them! Those old amps really do require a complete re-cap. The black and red Callins caps are notorious for leaking. Then there are all the ancient transistors, diodes, etc.

As long as we're sharing photos, here are before & after shots of the ones I sold (to a buyer in Asia). Beautiful to behold, but beauty is only skin deep ;)

Kent

post-101828-0-22647500-1391354205_thumb.

post-101828-0-31672300-1391354229_thumb.

Beautiful to behold, but beauty is only skin deep ;)

Kent

True that, Kent.

I rebuilt one of these a long time ago, and it was no fun at all - I was especially disappointed with the original soldering, and all of that electrical tape. :blink:

That said, I was thrilled with my first AR amp (used it with the AR-3a, and an AR turntable), and really enjoyed it for a couple of years.

It had a nice appearance in the optional walnut "sleeve", but compared to the full walnut cabinets available from McIntosh and other manufacturers, it could have looked substantially better.

• 4 weeks later...

When I read this thread a few weeks ago, I thought to myself, just who is trying to make a point about what? The OP opened up with distinct enthusiasm about sharing a unique Asian weblink with an excellent archival collection of pics for the one and only (or two, if you count the headphone version) 'classic' AR amplifier; and then only two posts later, this same voice is lamenting the poor original electronic construction, the insubstantial electrical tape, and a comparably inferior wood cabinet sleeve. Similarly, the one-and-only respondent to this post longingly pines for his previously-owned electronics, and then immediately proceeds to proclaim his pride for flipping them into the over-zealous and over-inflated Asian market, mainly due to a blanket notion that some capacitors may (or may not) have lost their full and original effectiveness.

My question is this: why are some well-respected voices, who show up so frequently on this site, intent on casting this highly-regarded amplifier to the curb in such a dismissive fashion? My budget-level collection of audio components is so very modest in comparison to the massive wattage and wooferage and tweeterage that so many members here have the opportunity to enjoy, but I will state that I happen to find the original AR amplifier to be an exceptional piece of electronic equipment. I am fortunate to own two of these beasts, albeit in different stages of reliable productiveness, but I will go on record as saying that my one AR amplifier, that is in near daily use and appears to have all original components (yes, even those dreaded red/black Callins caps), produces superb audio reproduction for my regular musical enjoyment.

So again, what's with this "beauty is only skin deep" comment? Should we apply this same sentiment to the classic AR speakers?

[Full disclosure: at least once and maybe even twice on this site, I, too, have tried to share my findings of Asian websites dedicated to the documentation of AR speakers, and even though I have yet to figure out how to make the necessary language text translations, the photo documentation has been invaluable for understanding the many variations and permutations that occurred during one particular model's evolution.]

As a college student, I was absolutely invested in the AR aesthetic of no-nonsense performance and their products' almost austere appearance - this should be unsurprising to many here, who I suspect, shared similar opinions.

Acoustic Research loudspeakers lacked the flashy look of their big West Coast competitors, and when first released, AR's audio components truly stood out for their refined & understated aspect; and this was appealing.

I purchased a later-production new AR amplifier in 1972, matched it up with a pair of AR-3a speakers & turntable, and thoroughly enjoyed the combination for the better part of two years. I even sprung for a matching AR tuner and Advent cassette deck - whole hog New England Sound!

Then came my ability to afford McIntosh, Crown, Thorens, and Revox - the difference was not subtle, and except for the 3a's everything wound up being sold.

And there it is.

The speakers still sounded great, but the little turntable, amp, and tuner were eclipsed by much better engineered/built/performing equipment from these other manufacturers.

Honestly, I'm only disappointed because I think the amplifier should have been better - clean up that terrible parts layout & wiring (how did it ever pass a UL inspection?), and spend at least as much as Dynaco did on a faceplate & cabinet, for crying out loud.

A word of advice: anyone who wants to remain in love with this amplifier should under no circumstances attempt a complete rebuild.

And unplug it before leaving the house. :)

Gee ra, I didn't mean to hit a nerve. Sorry I insulted the mighty AR amp. But for the record, I did not "flip it" to some unsuspecting Asian buyer. I had bought 2 amps. The first one I took to my reliable tech, who told me it was beyond repair. The second (the one pictured in post #2) WAS repairable and I used it for some time with my AR2ax speakers. I even added an AR tuner and was happy with it. In my photo files it's listed as the "keeper." I only sold them--at a loss btw--when my neighbor offered me his MAC4100 at a fair price.

The AR amp is elegant looking and delivers better than its 60wpc rating. But it IS OLD and it has a lot of parts that require professional attention. There are issues with caps, bias pots, transistors etc. The wood "sleeve" improved the appearance but was, as pro points out, rather chintzy. I completely agree with him that the innerds are below par (and that it should be unplugged when left unattended). Did you LOOK at the "before" shots from the site linked? Makes me shudder. I'd like to understand the comment about not attempting a complete rebuild (seems like a good idea to me) but I would say it MUST be taken to a qualified tech before using it.

I loved the look and was satisfied with the sound, but the McIntosh is superior in every way (IMHO). Call me a heretic--I'm also very underwhelmed by the cool-looking KLH Model Twenty-Seven receiver (and I'm a big Henry Kloss fan!).

As always, YMMV.

Kent

Yeah, they don't translate text in images, but at least it's possible to tell what's going on. I was impressed by how thorough and patient he was.

impressive bench that fellow has. lot of work went into that first restore. maybe I missed it , didn't look like he replaced the can caps. Did you notice the fans, does this run that hot? I wish I could read the text, it looks like he soldered in some new caps on the foil side.

The second set of pictures looks like a different unit, the replacement caps are different.

Thanks for the links, they were fun to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

mea culpa ... albeit a few weeks late.

Obviously, something about those two posts ruffled my feathers not once, but twice, and there appears to be no sensible rationale just why my knickers got so terribly bunched up about a few comments regarding a dated piece of electronics. Now I feel like I sorta stirred up a pot of ugly stink just before I disappeared for spring break. So, you golfers will know what I mean ..... I'm in need of a mulligan.

Did the boss yell at me that day? (nope, ain't seen my boss in two months.) Did the wife push my buttons too far? (nope, no spouse in this house.) Did I happen to kick the cat because the wine cellar ran dry? (nope, I still see some fermented grape juice in the cabinet, and the fave femme feline passed away some years ago.)
Anyway, you guys are right. The AR amplifier should have been better in the areas you have mentioned, and while I do not care to make sausage of any kind - - - in the electronic or vegan or least of all, the animal worlds - - - the innards of this piece are a far cry from elegant or even easily serviceable. Nonetheless, my all-original AR amplifier continues to sound extremely good to this day, but only when I do remember to properly gap its spark plugs, blow a spritz of high octane into the carburetor, and then proceed to push the floor-mounted starter pedal when the choke is at full throttle.
So thanks ar_pro, for the original post - I, too, enjoyed the progress photos, esp. with the translation provided by dxho. And JKent, your contributions to this site are nearly unparalleled, and I guess if I were faced with a choice between my potentially fire-breathing AR amp and a MAC receiver, I just might have made the same choice as you.
Still, inquiring minds want to know: if these shared AR amp images were indeed originated in Japan, does this completed amplifier restoration still pose a serious threat to a home that just might have very flammable shoji screens? Just what is the likelihood of this now-updated piece of equipment erupting due to spontaneous combustion? Is Mount Fuji about to spew?

Archived