Gaining Speakers, While Losing My Mind!

frankmarsi

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-4-14 5:41 EST

I agree, interesting article. I won’t confirm anything until the speakers are in their correct positions.

However, the 9s are sounding a bit better these days, they’re growing on me and at times showing their ability to impress me even though nothing is set-up properly.

I attribute this partly because I'm listening to vinyl along with the magnificent Denon DL-301II moving coil cartridge which is an item everyone should try out, I’ll assure you, you’ll be extremely happy in doing so.

Who knows, because I may become a believer yet about these AR9s? I’m certainly glad I bought them, even though I needed them like I do a hole in my head. There’s also the concern that I’m a dedicated soldier from the LST camp, and may be unfairly critical.

Still pondering the “Crown” amps as a possible future buy, ‘knock-on-wood’ though my PL400s are holding on without a complaint, yet. But ‘yet’ may change if I get carried away at some point. That’s when I may take the plunge, still trying to decide if it’s better to ‘bi-amp’ or not, it does make more sense and since AR has given that option, I may continue like that? Using the amps I am presently, I can see how each amp is having an easier job of powering these bad-boys. I will also state PL400 amps do sound terrific regardless of some other opinions out there.

Question is, am I using too much power in the mid area?

I haven’t as of present installed the new/used and dedicated tweeters at this preliminary stage for fear of blow outs while putting things through their paces. The mighty 'Micro-Statics' are doing their usual great job with the highs in the mean time. I wondering that even after I install the 9's own tweeters will I continue to have them in place?

When the room is ready will be my time of really getting carried away and I’ll be able to hear comparisons to the LSTs more appropiately.

To be frank, (after all, that is my name), the 9s are obviously different in their presentation. It’s also obvious that AR’s design theme was concerned with a change in their sound with regards to the upper range, although the AR sound is still there for the most part.

fm

For your reading enjoyment, here is the October 1978 review of AR-9 in High Fidelity Magazine.

I had many years of enjoyment with AR9s. I think it is perfectly feasible to have a two-cabinet construction for each AR9 to improve the placement flexibility and reduce the weight to a more manageable scale.

post-119422-0-28307600-1396697761_thumb.

post-119422-0-25000000-1396697776_thumb.

4-5-14

Here’s one of my favorite test records. I've played it countless times since 1961.

Well, it may not be the best test vinyl record available but, it brings back memories from some of my early days of listening circa 1961 to 1965. My listening days go back before that really.

It is worn, and I haven’t given it the VPI16.5 treatment yet but, I think it’s a wonderful record to play through AR speakers. My version is in mono, but I’m trying to locate a good condition stereo version. Why? I don't even know myself as the mono version is excellent. It was my sister's original bought circa 1959 or so? She used it to teach her students the greatness of music.

I will say, it’s one of the best recordings of this piece, whereas the infamous Telarc recording is overly recorded and its cannon shots really seem out of proportion over-all.

I'd really like to find a version done by The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra because I feel, they're an excellent orchestra on most classical pieces.

Dorati: TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 Festival Overture Mercury SR 90054 Living Presence LP

TCHAIKOVSKY, he's just about my favorite! There are others I enjoy equally like Verdi, Puccini, Rossini, Strauss, Hayden, Beethoven, Beatles, and........................................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360655547845?lpid=82

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=TCHAIKOVSKY&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=bWxAU-TvEuWgsQSEk4CwAg&ved=0CDEQsAQ

P.S. If you're not O.K. with that, then, listen to 'Pyramid', by the "Alan Parsons Group" or "Zep's" 'In the Light' song, and see how your ARs sound with that! And then, just shut-up and listen.

4-8-14

New question here;

If I continue to ‘bi-amp’ these AR-9s, which seems likely I will, and have the required value fuse in place, should I have the FNM-2 fuse for each of the four cables to each speaker?

In other words, should one side of each set of wires going to the speaker’s tweets/mids and the bass be fused with a FNM-2 fuse or a different value?

Meaning two FNM-2 fuses for each speaker? A separate fuse for mids & tweets and then another FNM-2 fuse for the woofer?

I’m thinking the tweets & mids would require a smaller fuse and in turn a separate FNM-2 fuse going to the woofer- this would be done for both the left and right side speakers. Total of four fuses.

I don't want to use too much of a lower value fuse on the tweets/mids where I'll have to keep running to the back of the speaker in any given listening session to replace them, but something low enough in value to protect the tweets/mids. and high enough to listen at realistic levels. Where's Dyna-Dan when I need him? Or anyone else who can make a qualifying call here?

My communication skills are low this morning, lower than usual I might add, so pardon me.

fm

• 3 weeks later...

Frank it is nice to see that you have a hobby that you enjoy.

Your writeups are always a kick to read.

4-30-14

Hi Pete B.

While I do try to have a somewhat humorous approach, my goal is to seek answers in addition to entertaining myself.

Having owned AR speakers just over forty-two years, I have to maintain a sense of humor. It’s akin to a child never moving out of his parent’s house as these babies are with me till the end.

In the last month, I’ve had three individuals come over to do some listening of my LST system, individually on two separate occasions each. I had bragged for such a long time that now that the system was pretty much set-up, I made the invitations. And even though, the system is still a ‘work-in-progress’ effort, there was enough meat on the bone for all to share.

Well, amazingly enough, each individual asked to pay a second and third visit to listen again, and that was just to do more listening. One even brought over their own selections on CD the second time but, interestingly enough, after a short while requested vinyl after only a few CD sides.

In few words, each individual was so impressed and over-joyed to ‘re-learn’ the virtues of vinyl recordings, they were each very impressed, two of them asking why did things change from the vinyl format to CD in the first place? Each guest was clamoring that “there is nothing better than vinyl!”, after the first hour. All had previously been exposed to nothing but CD these last few decades.

Each person spent over four hours at a time with nothing but a dropped-jaw look on their faces through-out each listening session.

I felt as if we were back in 1970 and doing varied hallucinogens all over again.

Additionally, each person wanted it explained to them what age my speakers were as they were in disbelief that “something so old could sound so great!” More importantly they were enthralled and completely ‘taken’ by the high quality of reproduction they were hearing. For each, more than likely the first time this has ever happened to them. A few times each was even moved to giving me that ‘special-look’ of contentment and confidence, and just like decades ago, we were high on the music.

To say, that each person was very impressed is an understatement, they were gobsmacked, blown out of the water, rendered helpless and writhing with pleasure. One even went as far as to lie on the floor between the towering stacked LSTs as if the speakers represented a temple of worship and surrendered to the gods of musical enjoyment.

In one instance, the session went from 7P.M. to just after 3A.M., however each session usually went over 4 to 5 hours a clip.

They also were so impressed by the sound quality of my system and quality vinyl reproduction that it was almost sad to realize that after they left my ‘man-cave’, they would have to go back to their ‘lesser’ alternatives, this was regretably admitted by each person.

I had realized that after about an hour of non-stop listening, the room being 'presurized', our ears became accustomed and as if by magic, we were completely immersed by the music and its effect on our minds and souls. The speakers had seemingly disappeared and we were left almost hanging in mid-air hovering with-in the room, floating somewhere in time and space, and music. The overwhelming feeling of us having an ‘out-of-body’ experience may have been more than evident as we felt awash with pleasure with each record that was placed on the turntable!

The AR-LSTs did not in any way fail to impress as they grabbed our ears and mind in such a strong tight hold, it defies words and explanation.

The affect of the speakers disappearing was so apparent and soothing, even I was extremely impressed. The system usually does impress me, but this time I had witnesses in total agreement.

I was asked by each for a third return visit, I gushed in AR pride.

Each guest was curious about when the AR-9’s room would be ready, but found it difficult thinking anything could be better than what they were enjoying at the time.

So, Pete B. If you ever have the occasion to venture towards my neck of the woods, do come over and get more than a “kick” during your visit. One of my visitors came from Woodstock, NY, twice, just to listen. He took the guest room overnight so he could have more listening time the next day as he was rendered much too spent to trek back home. He did that on two separate occasions. Trust me, you can’t make up stuff like this!

fm

ps did I use the word 'impressed' enough times?

I get a kick out of your humor ... no offense intended.

I'd like to hear your system very much Frank I think I've said several times that I like large

powerful systems. Thanks very much for the offer.

Archived