Scored a pair of TSW-610 speakers

DavidR

"So far I've seen no justification for these to have retailed for $1000 each back in their day."

They weren't $1000 ea.

The 910's were $1000 ea--that was the 9-type tower, with dual 12's, an 8, dual 6 1/2's and the 3/4 titanium dome.

I think the 610's were $500 ea. That's more appropriate to their performance.

Steve F.

I was told they retailed for $1000 EACH by a guy who was an AR vendor.

Let's suppose you are correct. I see no justification for these to retail for $500 each back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Done and working fine. My son is away on vacation so the A/B test against the Polks will have to wait for his return.

I know which I like the sound of better.

125_2570_zpsecd18cf3.jpg

125_2571_zps656ead2b.jpg

I want to thank Roy C for his on and offline tips and hints on how to do a good surround replacement. Without his help and encouragement I don't think the results would have been as good.

Well, I've been listening to them for a good part of the afternoon and into the evening. I have them on a Carver MXR150 Receiver preamp section and an unmodded Carver M500t amp that's had the large caps replaced. They sound very nice. A nice balanced speaker top to bottom at all volumes. I do not find the tweeter overly bright like some have commented. (I do not like bright.)The bass is very ARish (flat, solid and well defined) and the mid blends well.

Not bad for $50 and less than $75 in parts (parts from Vintage-AR) and misc. accessories + glue removal labor.

Archived