Glued magnet assemblies

I have wondered why glue has been used for mounting magnet assemblies to speaker basket in quite expensive speakers. I do understand that glue is cheaper way to mount magnet... but added cost of 4 bolts, 4 holes with treads would not be astronomical. I have now pair of Warfedale Super 12RS/DD with some coil rubb. Removing dirt from VC gap is quite easy when magnet can be unbolted from basket in few minutes. Removing dirt from VC gap of dual cone speaker would be major operation if magnet is glued to the basket.

Best Regards

Kimmo

post-126436-0-72358300-1432998672_thumb.

post-126436-0-02674000-1432998702_thumb.

post-126436-0-48248500-1432998731_thumb.

post-126436-0-78529400-1432998779_thumb.

I have always appreciated the look and robust build quality of the vintage Wharfedale drivers, and while I agree that the bolt attachment allows for easy rear access, you also have to ask yourself how the dirt found its way into the VC gap in the first place. It either came in thru the front door (dust cap) or it came in thru the back door (magnet-to-basket joint), and you might want to consider re-assembling with the thinnest possible gasket at this metal-to-metal interface.

Great pics, thanks.

Thank you for advice, the seal between basket and magnet is good point. While it is impossible to tell where the dirt actually came... but it seems that it came from cavity behind the front plate. I first hoovered the gap and then used tape to lift dirt... but when I re hoovered gap, more dirt was in the gap. Then I used compressed air to remove dirt from cavity... and some new particles lifted again.

I suppose that I must do this again for few times more... or do you have any better advice?

Best Regards

kimmo

It sounds like you are proceeding systematically - - with care and with knowledge. I am not that familiar with the various Wharfedale drivers, but if your Super 12 has the whizzer cone, it might be possible that there is some small gap at the delicate intersection of main cone, whizzer cone, and dust cap. This pic is from the smaller Super 8.

post-112624-0-47728300-1433004117_thumb.

As you can see from pics voice coil has some rub marks on it. DCR of both coils are within spec, so most likely only laquer coating has been damaged. As coil wire is aluminium it will oxidize.

So... what kind of laquer would be perfect for patch painting the coil? Clear nail polish is easily available... but does it withstand enough heat. 1,75" dia paper VC former, 20W RMS power handling and good sensitivity due 17.000 oersted flux density will likely result not too much heat.

Best Regards

Kimmo

PS Super 12RS/DD does have whizzer cone but dust cap is made from pulp, not aluminium like in Super 8

Archived