AR Restoration Meeting--1

johnieo

post-100900-0-19237200-1371968536_thumb.The first 2013 meeting of the AR Restoration Society was held 15 June in Latham NY. All in attendance listened attentively while Roy C presented a paper entitiled Restoring AR Speakers Found in the Dumpster.See attached image.

Respectfully submitted,

John O, recording secretary

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The third 2013 meeting of the AR Restoration Society was held at Wong's on Mott St. in the City. Minh gave a "chopsticks-on" demonstration entitled Selecting and Enjoying Fine Chinese Cuisine. This was followed by a "hands-on" session on how to select dessert at a Chinese bakery. This was the most popular meeting, with a 50% increase in attendance. At the suggestion of JKent, no continuing education credits will be given, lest the tax-exempt status of the Society be jeopardized.

Respectfully submitted,

JohnO, recording secretary

post-100900-0-29537000-1371969388_thumb.post-100900-0-11552300-1371969425_thumb.

Do you have to be a member to get the custard pie?

Nope, 80 cents will do. :)

BTW, how does one qualify for membership in the society?

Article 0 (dated 23June2013) of the society bylaws states: "membership is attained by appearing in a photo with at least one other card-carrying CSP member."

Cheers, JohnO

OK...this is a good place for a basic AR restoration quiz:

1-The first question is a very basic one. What AR model do the top two cabinets John and I are leaning on belong to? Any potential member should know the answer to this one!

2-The second is more advanced. The capacitors visible in the cabinets are of what type, brand, and probable value? (They are from two different manufacturers.)

(That photo shows the portion of the lecture where I seem to be saying "I can deal with these nasty old cabinets with my eyes closed"...hate it when that happens :).)

Honorable mention must go out to the very patient wives who had to listen to speaker babble for many continuous hours.

Carl, we're only two hours apart. We should be able to convene a meeting in the not to distant future! Maybe we can invite Vintage LARry Lagace to join us, who is only a few miles from here.

Roy

question 1 answer= Ar3a

question 2 answer= left cabinet type npe, brand sprague compulytic, 150uf, right cabinet npe type,150uf Cornell-Dublier

Quiz answers

1-AR-3a

2-The large can type caps are 150uf electrolytic (npe). The brown one is a Sprague Compulytic.

The silver specimen is an Industrial Condenser Royalytic (same company that made the old "wax block" caps).

Industrial Condenser supplied capacitors of many shapes and sizes to AR for a very long time.

Pat,

Yup, the bottom cabinets are stained "unfinished pine" AR-2's. I used them for parts for better restoration candidates.

Roy

Well...since that dumpster diving is keeping you in good shape, I can offer my smoked brisket to ya..... :)

Hey Jeff,

We'll have to get you and your brisket in an AR restoration meeting photo someday!

I know what will be for dinner. :D

Roy

That is some fine looking brisket.

45 years ago, when I was just a teen, my Dad and I used AR speakers as qualitative adjectives when describing restaurants, concert perfomances, cars, etc.

If something was good value for the money, a bit of an overachiever, we called it "a nice little AR-4x restaurant."

The middle of the line of a strong family of good-perfoming cars might be known as their "2ax model."

If something was uncompromisingly good, obviously it was the "AR-3a" of whatever.

That looks like an "AR-3a brisket" to me.

Steve F.

That is some fine looking brisket.

45 years ago, when I was just a teen, my Dad and I used AR speakers as qualitative adjectives when describing restaurants, concert perfomances, cars, etc.

If something was good value for the money, a bit of an overachiever, we called it "a nice little AR-4x restaurant."

The middle of the line of a strong family of good-perfoming cars might be known as their "2ax model."

If something was uncompromisingly good, obviously it was the "AR-3a" of whatever.

That looks like an "AR-3a brisket" to me.

Steve F.

Thanks Steve and they are guuuuud. Your story cracks me up...and of course I will now use those terms now. I mean what is near fine dining?....I can now say it's an AR2a restaurant and know what I will be eating...lol

My neighbor is the master smoker and where I have learned the trade. He is the Roy of smokin'. I share a beer and some audio on the 3a and then we go over to his house and share another beer and I get smoke tips. And then we come back over.....ya know

The third 2013 meeting of the AR Restoration Society was held at Wong's on Mott St. in the City. Minh gave a "chopsticks-on" demonstration entitled Selecting and Enjoying Fine Chinese Cuisine. This was followed by a "hands-on" session on how to select dessert at a Chinese bakery. This was the most popular meeting, with a 50% increase in attendance. At the suggestion of JKent, no continuing education credits will be given, lest the tax-exempt status of the Society be jeopardized.

Respectfully submitted,

JohnO, recording secretary

Well John, you've really started something!

I heard from another CSP contributor asking about "meetings" of the "AR Restoration Society".

A couple of things should be kept in mind:

1. This is all tongue-in-cheek

Article 0 (dated 23June2013) of the society bylaws states: "membership is attained by appearing in a photo with at least one other card-carrying CSP member."

2. There has to be food involved (hoping to sample some of that "3a brisket") :D

Kent

• 2 months later...

The 4th annual meeting of 2013 of the AR Restoration Society took place 10 September in beautiful Lee, MA at the food court of Lee Premium Outlets. A variety of mall food delicacies were consumed as Carlspeak gave a talk on preventative exercise and the treatment of hernias associated with the handling of classic loudspeakers.

Respectfully Submitted

RoyC

assistant to the assistant recording secretary

post-101150-0-84108300-1379201218_thumb.

Archived