Speaker addiction

Scotty speaker nut

I'm new to this forum, so am introducing myself. I'm 53, live in northern Virginia, USA. I've been into stereos since 1975. I built a Dynaco PAT-5 pre-amp and a pair of SWTP (South West Technical Products) Tiger 01 mono amps. They were 60 watts each. I could not afford a Dynaco power amp. I bought a pair of Dynaco A-25 floor model speakers and a B.I.C 940 turntable.

I was quite happy with that set up for many years. Eventually the power amps then the pre-amp died and I bought other equipment. The A-25s soldiered on for a long time.

Many years passed and the old wife was gone (not died, I wish) and eventually the current and final wife appeared. She is "long-suffering" with my obsession over buying and selling many things, but

especially high fidelity equipment. I haven't stopped to count how many speakers I've had, but it's been many. Thrift stores were the main source of my finds. I got an Adcom GFP-565, pre-amp, GFA-585 power amp (250 WPC) and matching ACE-515 power conditioner for $149 at a thrift store!

But, since this is about speakers, take a look at this: http://therobbcollections.blogspot.com/2010/05/rubberize-your-woofers.html It's an idea I came up with to preserve and prevent foam surround failure. Many other pages exist in my blog. The archive list is always at the bottom of the page. The latest posts in 2010 show the too-many speakers which I've been selling via eBay.

What am I keeping? The A/D/S/ MV30/t tower speakers I found last weekend at a pawn shop for $90. Not bad for ones that once listed for $1,200. They are keepers.

• 5 months later...

I'm new to this forum, so am introducing myself. I'm 53, live in northern Virginia, USA. I've been into stereos since 1975. I built a Dynaco PAT-5 pre-amp and a pair of SWTP (South West Technical Products) Tiger 01 mono amps. They were 60 watts each. I could not afford a Dynaco power amp. I bought a pair of Dynaco A-25 floor model speakers and a B.I.C 940 turntable.

I was quite happy with that set up for many years. Eventually the power amps then the pre-amp died and I bought other equipment. The A-25s soldiered on for a long time.

Many years passed and the old wife was gone (not died, I wish) and eventually the current and final wife appeared. She is "long-suffering" with my obsession over buying and selling many things, but

especially high fidelity equipment. I haven't stopped to count how many speakers I've had, but it's been many. Thrift stores were the main source of my finds. I got an Adcom GFP-565, pre-amp, GFA-585 power amp (250 WPC) and matching ACE-515 power conditioner for $149 at a thrift store!

But, since this is about speakers, take a look at this: http://therobbcollections.blogspot.com/2010/05/rubberize-your-woofers.html It's an idea I came up with to preserve and prevent foam surround failure. Many other pages exist in my blog. The archive list is always at the bottom of the page. The latest posts in 2010 show the too-many speakers which I've been selling via eBay.

What am I keeping? The A/D/S/ MV30/t tower speakers I found last weekend at a pawn shop for $90. Not bad for ones that once listed for $1,200. They are keepers.

Late reply but since I'm 21yrs older than you I'm expected to be slow. I enjoyed reading your blog. Your camera collection is impressive! The only semi old camera that I still own is a Canon FTb that I bought in 1972. It still works as it did when new. You've owned qute a lot of speakers........thrift store finds! I'd be lucky to find a bargain on a used jock strap at the thrift shops here. I was in one yesterday and they had a pair of very heavy, short and wide speakers there marked $299 each and they didn't even know the brand. Right now I'm restoring a pair of AR2ax speakers and I have a pair of AR5s on the way. The ADS 710s and 810s I have now required a lot of work to get all the stains (ink, water and paint) off while maintaining the looks of the original finish.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived