Allison Five

haze5736

I'm going to test a pair of Allison Five speakers tonight. I know it all boils down to what is pleasing to me and that's the main criteria for my purchase. The shop is allowing me to bring my receiver in to listen on my own equipment. Although, the reciever I'll be using is only temporary until I can get the money together to replace it.

I do like to see what others have to say before making a purchase. I've scoured the web for any information on the Five's and have come up mostly empty. I was only able to find the 4 page brochure on this site. I've seen them in person already and love the look of them. But does anyone have feedback on the Five's? Are they are rare speaker? And if something goes wrong will I be stuck not being able to find parts?

Thanks in advance.

The Allison 5 is the bigger "bookshelf" model. You don't see it for sale as some of the otherAllison models, but its drivers are smillar to the other Allison 2-ways. Replacement tweeters for 2-ways periodically show up on ebay. Fo the woofers just have the surrouds replaced. It is similar in sound to the rest of the Allison line, it just goes a little lower than the Allison 6. What you want to find out is whether the woofer surrounds have been replaced in the last few years. If not, your bass response will be down if you don't replace them. But it is still worth buying them for a bit less as Allisons give a more accurate portrayal of the music with almost a room filling sweet spot and without the artifical imaging of individual instruments that many"audiophiles" are attracted to. Don't bother hauling your equipment into the shop; just bring music you know well. Listen with an amp that has roughly the same wattage as your own, and use your own wire or bring some 16 gage in with you.

Make sure the speakers are right up against the walls, about 18 to 24 inches off the ground, and about 2 feet out of the corners. If the Allisons are not against the wall, they will not sound right. The one piece of "equipment" that makes the most difference in sound is the room they are going to be in, but that is true for most any speaker.

Archived