Anyone Familiar with the A-30XL?

tvr2500m

Anyone remember the Dynaco A-30XL? I ask because it's a model I don't see mentioned, ever. It was a 3-way design using SEAS drivers. I had a pair in the late 1970s, and my brother still owns the pair he bought back then. I haven't given them a serious listen in a LONG time, but I thought I just give them a mention.

- SJ

Hi there;

I believe I've saved a photo or two off ebay of A-30XL auctions, not handy at this time.

I believe this is the USA manufactured model of Dynaco speaker.

If I am correct the screen over the vent opening looked, sadly, very amatuerish, as in poor workmanship, compared to the Denmark versions.

If possible could you please post some photos with the grille cloths off?

I may be remembering the USA made two way later version of the A-25 (not the A-25XL).

The A-30XLs were late-1970s vintage, after the 1969 Tyco takeover, and about the time Dynaco was in deep financial trouble.

The three SEAS drivers were vertically aligned on their driver centers, tweeter first, midrange, then woofer at the bottom.

No vent or port. They were a sealed-box design.

I don't know if they were made in Denmark, and I don't know how well engineered they were compared with some of the other Dynaco speakers.

As I mentioned, my brother still has his. I'll get some pictures of these to post, and I'll give'em another listen to see how they sound. I'll probably have to bring them home to get a good listen. The room where the A-30XLs are set up isn't ideal for serious listening, and as much as I love the Dynaco brand for delivering honest value, his source, PAT-4, and ST-150 probably also wouldn't be ideal for a close, critical listen. I recall them having a "refined" character, but I'll really have to give them another listen.

- SJ

• 3 years later...
Anyone remember the Dynaco A-30XL? I ask because it's a model I don't see mentioned, ever. It was a 3-way design using SEAS drivers. I had a pair in the late 1970s, and my brother still owns the pair he bought back then. I haven't given them a serious listen in a LONG time, but I thought I just give them a mention.

- SJ

Yes. I remember them. During my high school years, a couple of friends of mine had those. They were not bad for the most part. But, with a subwoofer they really shined.

Vern, welcome back! (where have you been?).

John

Hi again;

Just because I commented about the grille being amatuerish in appearance, I have never heard them and cannot comment on their sound or further build quality.

I would have thought that being made in the USA was better, in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

yes..i have my originals i purchased in 1978...the plate on the back says blackwood, new jersey....i'm also trying to get more info such as how good (or bad) they are compared to A 25's and other speakers....specs., etc......i removed the bass speaker and the only identification are 2 stamped numbers........509124..........and then 1056 (space) 7844 the "8" looks like it was stamped over a "2" and the last "4" is a smaller "4" and is underlined....there is no name ...i think they sound good..but i have nothing to compare them to...i don't know what "bad " sounds like..

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived