Restoring my 3's

DavidDru

Glad you found and read the thread Glenn. Even though I have taken my time, it has been fun for sure. The grilles are the last piece. Running my own design business and having 3 kids, these projects tend to drag on. I'm with you on trying to maintain as much as possible as original, especially on things such as the AR3's. The pots were the biggest challenge in that regard and I finally gave in to the fact that no all aspects of these old beauties are meant for immortality.

I removed the fabric and it remained in-tact. I could do a nice job now I guess on repairing the broken frames since the tension previously created by the fabric is no longer. I did make new frames and if it hadn't been so cold this last week or so I would have already glued the saran on. The only thing I was contemplating was to possibly re-use the original fabric since it came off in one piece. I just don't know how much it has yellowed compared to when it was original. All I know is that when I washed them, the water was brown. Maybe I should soak them again with something that has a small amount of bleach? Tomorrow I'll post a photo of both the new fabric from Jon and the originals.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you found and read the thread Glenn. Even though I have taken my time, it has been fun for sure. The grilles are the last piece. Running my own design business and having 3 kids, these projects tend to drag on. I'm with you on trying to maintain as much as possible as original, especially on things such as the AR3's. The pots were the biggest challenge in that regard and I finally gave in to the fact that no all aspects of these old beauties are meant for immortality.

I removed the fabric and it remained in-tact. I could do a nice job now I guess on repairing the broken frames since the tension previously created by the fabric is no longer. I did make new frames and if it hadn't been so cold this last week or so I would have already glued the saran on. The only thing I was contemplating was to possibly re-use the original fabric since it came off in one piece. I just don't know how much it has yellowed compared to when it was original. All I know is that when I washed them, the water was brown. Maybe I should soak them again with something that has a small amount of bleach? Tomorrow I'll post a photo of both the new fabric from Jon and the originals.

Bleach always scares me. Maybe some Woolite or Simple Green?

When I did my 3's, Roy supplied me with a couple original pots in great condition, so far they haven't given me any problems. The original early version pots were shot.

Mine are early with the oil caps.

Archived