Dumpster diving or another AR-4x boat speaker

owlsplace

post-173498-0-60309600-1441329651_thumb.

This orphan came in today so I recapped it and sealed the massive air leaks around the substitute tweeter. Sounds great paired with the Elwyn 4x although it is a lot brighter/forward in the midrange which is easily adjusted with the pot. Hmmm, guess I'll have to stack it with the orphan AR-338 and see how it does.

Serial number 45K in unfinished pine and OSB baffle and back. The back had swelled quite a bit from moisture but the seams are pretty much intact. The cab may actually cleanup fairly well with some effort.

Looks like the tweeter may be from KLH. The only marking is M-12 with a late 60s date on the back -- square magnet backwired with red and black leads. The front baffle was hacked to get it in the case.

I dumped the rock wool and put in some poly fiber. The pot was probably worth the price since it is one of the best I've seen. I didn't expect that from a cabinet with water damage stuffed with rock wool. There goes that theory. The pot did have a bead of mortite along the retaining clip. Haven't seen that before. Crossover was 20MFD cap with #5 coil. Left the wax cap in the case and added Madisound surplus 10s.

Woofer basket was corroded fairly heavily. Tape rather than screens on the magnet. The cloth surround was cemented to the back of the cone.

Smokin' on "Love over Gold" and "Brother in Arms" although I'm hesitant to crank it since it is over-fused. It was loud enough to make the hair stand up on my arms on one cut though ;)

Hey, the turkey likes it ...

Roger

Yes, that's a KLH tweeter.

Many early ARs had the mortite on the retaining clip. Probably to cut down on vibrations although Roy has commented (and I agree) it doesn't really do anything.

Keep on raising those dead speakers! Maybe you should call them "Lazarus" ;)

-Kent

Yes, that's a KLH tweeter. ....

Keep on raising those dead speakers! Maybe you should call them "Lazarus" ;)

-Kent

Looks like I'm starting an orphanage -- have three at the moment -- four if I don't get around to finishing the other Elwyn.

Is there supposed to be a ring on that KLH tweeter to help seal the enclosure? Definitely needs one .... I'm intrigued by the sound at the moment so I may have to do it up right ;)

Roger

Archived