Favorite integrated amps for AR speakers?

owlsplace

Anyone have a favorite integrated amp for powering their smaller AR speakers?

My AR-5's were powered by a Pioneer SA-9100 back in the 70's.

Lately I've found a couple of 80's Kenwood amps at giveaway prices under $10 so I decided to dig into them yesterday and they seem to be well-constructed. The earlier one has slightly high DC offset and the other looked like it had a Margarita dumped on it but both are fully functional otherwise and cleaned up well.

Not sure I will put the time into getting the DC offset down on the first amp but it could be a fun project if time avails. Bias adjustment was straight-forward on both.

Roger

Kenwood made some nice components in the 70s & 80s and I think they were generally more powerful than their ratings indicated. AND they were cool looking.

Integrated amps tend to be forgotten about. Often we think of separates or receivers.

Of course the AR integrated amp has to be mentioned. And KLH made a nice little amp--the Sixteen (shown with the Eighteen tuner).

Can't forget the Dynaco SCA-80: http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/SCA80/

Then there were a bunch of tube integrateds. I have a Scott 299 I've been meaning to restore, and I regret having sold my family's 1st stereo--the HK A300.

My bias is for American electronics with American speakers but you can't deny the quality of the vintage Japanese gear.

-Kent

post-101828-0-56327000-1441646480_thumb.

post-101828-0-48326600-1441646780_thumb.

post-101828-0-43332700-1441646814_thumb.

post-101828-0-30521600-1441646869_thumb.

Started life with a Dyna SCA-80 kit in 1972, powering my 2ax's. Not the greatest amp. Worked, but I was never impressed with the sound, and my friend and I nicknamed the tone controls the Rasp and Mud controls.

Replaced it 6 months later with a Kenwood KA-7002, 50/50 RMS, great looking, turnover x-o's for the B & T, 18dB/oct subsonic filter, etc. Superb amp. In 1978, went to a Kenwood KA-8100, dual-transformer, 75/75 RMS, 3-pos loudness so you could achieve a really nice tonal balance at moderate volumes w/o wild exaggeration. Really liked this amp a lot. Powerful as all get-out. Drove the begeezers out of my LST-2's when I got those in 1980. Never ran warm, never ran out of steam.

Had the matching KT-7001 and KT-8300 tuners also--best tuners around.

Always liked the Pioneer 71/81/9100 amps very much also. The 1970's-early 80's was the golden era for integrated amps and good receivers. I always felt that an integrated amp + tuner was a great perf/value proposition. Looked great, too.

Steve F.

My first stereo amplifier was a Lafayette LA-450, which had been manufactured for Lafayette Radio by Kenwood (Trio).

Like "actual" Kenwood amps, it was ultra-reliable, and gave very good results with the smaller AR speakers.

The LA-450 was replaced by the AR integrated amplifier, which I owned for awhile before getting into separates from Crown & McIntosh.

The AR amp sounded great with both the AR-2ax and the AR-3a, but having more power for the 3a's began to seem like a worthwhile goal.

If I'd stuck with integrated amplifiers, I probably would've wound up with either the McIntosh MA6100, or the Marantz 1200B which friends owned.

These were AR-3a based systems as well, and both of these integrateds were outstanding matches.

And dig those walnut cabinets!

All of the major Japanese manufacturers offered excellent alternatives - Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer & Sansui produced reliable integrateds with tons of features.

That so many are still being enjoyed in systems today is quite a testimonial.

post-100370-0-33596500-1441653994_thumb.

post-100370-0-35989200-1441654003_thumb.

post-100370-0-66584000-1441654011_thumb.

How do you you know it was a margarita? Only play mexican music now?

Anyone have a favorite integrated amp for powering their smaller AR speakers?

My AR-5's were powered by a Pioneer SA-9100 back in the 70's.

Lately I've found a couple of 80's Kenwood amps at giveaway prices under $10 so I decided to dig into them yesterday and they seem to be well-constructed. The earlier one has slightly high DC offset and the other looked like it had a Margarita dumped on it but both are fully functional otherwise and cleaned up well.

Not sure I will put the time into getting the DC offset down on the first amp but it could be a fun project if time avails. Bias adjustment was straight-forward on both.

Roger

Ha, ha, ha, no just a guess because of the crystallized salt on the faceplate.

BTW, I just had my Pioneer SA9100 refurbished/recapped and will be back in my office system later this month when I pick it up in Seattle. Had been having protection fault issues which seem to be a issue with those as they get older. Looking forward to hearing the recapped version now for sure. Will be fun to see which of the AR's, KLH's and others it pairs best with. I traded a Hickok tube tester for the service.

My integrated amps are none of the exotic types that you guys have.

They are Yamaha DSP-Z11, Pioneer sa-508 and a B&O Beomaster 4500.

I find myself tend to use the Pioneer and B&O more than the Yamaha.

Although they are much less WPC than the Yamaha, they do sound fuller than the Yamaha.

As RoyC said WPC doesn't really mean much.

post-116698-0-95750600-1442167053_thumb. Probably ridiculous because in another thread I'm talking about pro amps , but this tiny Knight KA-25 with 6BM8 tubes , with its weakness of only 10 watts per channel gives me the best sound I 've ever heard fron my AR 3, obviously at low listening levels, in terms of clarity, transparency, stage and natural timber of the instruments . I'm listening Bach's Brandeburg Concerts, and , except for the level and the dynamic range , it 's unbelievably close to the real concert. I'm measuring 78 db average, at six feet far from speakers, and it' s a comfortable listening.

attachicon.gif20150913_195329.jpg Probably ridiculous because in another thread I'm talking about pro amps , but this tiny Knight KA-25 with 6BM8 tubes , with its weakness of only 10 watts per channel gives me the best sound I 've ever heard fron my AR 3, obviously at low listening levels, in terms of clarity, transparency, stage and natural timber of the instruments . I'm listening Bach's Brandeburg Concerts, and , except for the level and the dynamic range , it 's unbelievably close to the real concert. I'm measuring 78 db average, at six feet far from speakers, and it' s a comfortable listening.

Not ridiculous at all. It is a valid observation and one that I might actually choose to verify at some point.

The last tube equipment I worked on was forty years ago and it belonged to a rural volunteer fire department. I tweeked the transmitter for max power out which I later learned reduces the life of the ouput tube considerably although it was rarely used anyway.

Might be fun to hear some tube sound again, especially playing vinyl....

Roger

Yesterday in the late afternoon, I was listening Verdi's Requiem, Carlo Maria Giulini Director, original 2-LP Angel Records, 1960, Thorens TD125, Grace G-707 arm, Grado Signature Blue pick-up, Eico ST40 and AR 3 : my impression was to hear the real event, not a reproduction. I' m tryin' to detect some " artificial " sound, some little thing that remembers me it' s only a loudspeaker sounding , but no way, it' s an almost perfect illusion. Then I switched to Marantz 33/ Soundcraftsmen LA2502 ( a mosfet power amp ) : the sound is also very enjoyable, dynamic range is obviously increased, but I 've had a thin feeling of a well-sounding artificial reproduction. With tubes , the stage appears so natural, and every player ( instruments, voices, choir ) has a " plastic " , almost three-dimensional life. Maybe it' s only imagination, but what a pleasant one.

Well, I guess I'm stuck on separates. Picked up one of these for a song: http://www.richard-hooker.com/sites/sonance/elect/260x3.htm

Will see how well it handles three pairs of 6's after I check it out.i

Roger

Edit: The amp checks out although I was a bit taken aback when I saw what looked like a bunch of leaky electrolytics but it appears they are glued to the board. The 15000mfd filter caps look like they need replacing as they are a little buldged on top. I may pick up another one of these. Sounds good driven straight from a cd player through my RS test speakers.

Yesterday in the late afternoon, I was listening Verdi's Requiem, Carlo Maria Giulini Director, original 2-LP Angel Records, 1960, Thorens TD125, Grace G-707 arm, Grado Signature Blue pick-up, Eico ST40 and AR 3 : my impression was to hear the real event, not a reproduction. I' m tryin' to detect some " artificial " sound, some little thing that remembers me it' s only a loudspeaker sounding , but no way, it' s an almost perfect illusion. Then I switched to Marantz 33/ Soundcraftsmen LA2502 ( a mosfet power amp ) : the sound is also very enjoyable, dynamic range is obviously increased, but I 've had a thin feeling of a well-sounding artificial reproduction. With tubes , the stage appears so natural, and every player ( instruments, voices, choir ) has a " plastic " , almost three-dimensional life. Maybe it' s only imagination, but what a pleasant one.

I totally get it.

As of late I have been listening to music with my Dynaco St70/Pas 2 system with Wharfedale speakers. The reproduction is as you say very life like. Classical, Jazz and vocals, acoustical oriented music....is where it is at with this combination.

I have had the St70 and Pas2 for a while and even restored and upgraded each, but I really had not found a speaker that I liked with them. I tried the Heresy and did not like them. Then large Altec Valencias but my rooms are too small for those beasts. I just sold both of those. I do not use the Dyancos with the AR's. Still need more power. A few weeks ago I posted on AK asking for recommendations for the Dynaco and out of that I picked up some Wharfedale W35's off local Craigs list. I was floored how good they sounded. As smaller bookshelf speakers I used my Janis subwoofer to help with the bottom end and the combination was wonderful.

With that success I set out to find some larger Wharfedales and was lucky to find a pair of W70b's a collector friend of mine had stored away. Original boxes and all! They need a recap (4uf each only) and I just ordered some PIO caps for them.

Through this experience I now am committed to eventually getting a higher powered tube system so I can hear my AR3's with it.

Probably the better choice for AR 3s, not too expensive, could be two Dynaco MKIII mono power amps. Many years ago a buddy of mine took an Harman Kardon Citation II fully restored , we tested it with my AR 3a: impressive, powerful, clean , a big sound, but he paid it 1800 euros ten years ago!

Here is a photo of the W35's on top of the W70b's.

pair11.jpg

I will be getting back my pioneer SA9100 integrated later this week after it has been on the bench for the past year. I finally had it just rebuilt instead of looking for the culprit that causing the issue. Here it is with it's mate tx9100 tuner,

9100s10.jpg

I will be getting back my pioneer SA9100 integrated later this week after it has been on the bench for the past year. I finally had it just rebuilt instead of looking for the culprit that causing the issue. Here it is with it's mate tx9100 tuner,

R

Found memories of the Pioneer days ... ;)

Roger

well, never had an integrated, but I love my AR18's and my old Holographic imaging M5's with my marantz 2230, which is a 1060 with a built in tuner, essentially....

as soon as I finish my 58S refurb (foams came saturday) they will go on my 2265....

I'm curious if the same affect can be produced using a tube preamp and SS power amp.

Here is another ramble about tubes and transistors: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4437

Roger

Archived