Favorite integrated amps for AR speakers?

owlsplace

Roger,

Tube pre and SS amp is my current goal. Jumping up to a good tube pre is a big jump financially. Worth the investment I feel as something to build and evolve a system around. It just makes sense with these high current requirement speakers we often have. At least until one can afford similar high power tube amps.

I had a bead on a Citation I, no actually an agreement to purchase, only to have it sold from under me just 2 weeks ago. I've been upset since.

Meanwhile the Pioneer SA9100 is playing in the background sounding quite sweet after a recap. Allison Ones are the current delivery method.

after_10.jpg

Roger,

Tube pre and SS amp is my current goal. Jumping up to a good tube pre is a big jump financially. Worth the investment I feel as something to build and evolve a system around. It just makes sense with these high current requirement speakers we often have. At least until one can afford similar high power tube amps.

I had a bead on a Citation I, no actually an agreement to purchase, only to have it sold from under me just 2 weeks ago. I've been upset since.

Meanwhile the Pioneer SA9100 is playing in the background sounding quite sweet after a recap. Allison Ones are the current delivery method.

after_10.jpg

Sweet indeed ... I don't have any photos of my 70's rig ... I guess I knew I wouldn't have it long ... I'll keep my eyes peeled for a decent tube preamp in kit form if possible.

Roger

Citation I is not too bad idea. I have also looked for slightly simpler and less valued Citation IV. These units do not share exactly same circuit topology, but they are quite close to ea other. Citation I does have everything that vinyl enthusiast needs... including most RIAA curves used in early days of vinyl.

I have preferred tube amplifiers over SS ones for years. But... I believe that it is possible to make good and bad amplifiers using tubes or SS devices. Sound quality wise it is more important how devises are used, unless amplifiers are used in area where clipping occurs. Tubes do have nicer characteristics when over driven,.. but you should not overdrive amplifier if you are looking for good performance anyway.

Higher impedance tubes do have some limitations, but on the other hand they are quite robust against abuse... usually no short circuit protection needed. Output transformer also makes it practically impossible to use too much feedback. Output transformer blocks also DC path to speakers quite well. Having 400V B+ for preamplifier, operating characteristics of tubes are very linear and circuity is next to impossible overload with sensible load.

Tube amplifiers have been made with many different ways during years, like SS ones too. Personally I do not like recent trend using quite high output impedance in tube power amplifiers. This makes sound usually more open, but alters also response if speaker is designed to be used with amplifier with low output impedance (impedance curve is not flat). How low output impedance should be is good question... I suppose that something like1 ohm or less from 8 ohm tap and 0,6 ohm from 4 ohm tap will provide decent performance unless really difficult loads are used.

I tried raise here some points for choosing "correct" tube amplifier. But choosing amplifier, speaker or turntable is very subjective issue at least for me. I simply can not be objective when something inside me says "this one is for you". But, I ques it would be easier to be subjective with decent design.

I hope that there was something helpful here.

Best Regards

Kimmo

Archived