AR 3a grille needed.

stupidhead

Hi folks,

I have a friend who is in need of a grille for an AR 3a. Does not need the cloth, only the grille. I suspect that with the proper dimensions one could be made from hard board, but an original is always better!

Any of you happen to have one, or know of a resource I can tap into? I intend to use this item (if found) to be a relationship builder for this friend, he could be a wonderful resource for other vintage items.

Geoff

Thanx Kent, yeah I saw that. I guess I should have posted in my original post about that. The listing says that is made from Masonite as opposed to hard board. What impact will this have on the fabric installation. I am not familiar enough specifically with 3a to know if the fabric is supposed to be wrapped around the frame and stapled internal, or like the original 3s I have is the fabric only on the face of the grille and not wrapped.

Hi Geoff

Masonite is a brand name for hardboard.

The problem you will have is that it's very difficult to drive a staple through and it's virtually impossible to get staples short enough.

If you are using Irish Linen the best way I've found is to wrap it around the edges and glue with Aleene's Tacky glue. It's kind of slow going--you have to sort of pull the fabric and press it into the glue, then keep working it until it's pretty dry. The next day you can spritz the cloth with a spray bottle, then dry it with a hair dryer and it will come out nice and tight.

Good luck.

Kent

The fabric for the 3a grill is stapled on with 1/4" staples....or contact glued on. I just made a set of grills for my 3a's and used some 1/4" oak plywood I had lying around. Because the 1/4" plywood actually only measures 3/16"; and worried about staples coming thru the front; I added 1/2" wide strips of iron on veneer that I had extra. It was a roll of 3/4' wide walnut that I had and I cut it down to 1/2' wide strips.It stiffened the grill too some. Stapled the grill material on and misted it and dried with hair dyer. Came out tight and nice....:)

My 3's have the grill material stapled on top and bottom and glued on sides on the back.

Yes--you can staple if you thicken the board. I've had success with glue. I believe the Vintage AR boards are only 1/8" or possibly 3/16" so 1/4" staples will go right thru unless you add some thickness.

If you use staples, get "Monel" (stainless steel).

The AR-3 has a plastic grille material. Originally saran it is still manufactured but is polypropylene. I had to buy about 7 feet of the stuff and have some left I think.

-Kent

JKent, on 01 Apr 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

Yes--you can staple if you thicken the board. I've had success with glue. I believe the Vintage AR boards are only 1/8" or possibly 3/16" so 1/4" staples will go right thru unless you add some thickness.

If you use staples, get "Monel" (stainless steel).

The AR-3 has a plastic grille material. Originally saran it is still manufactured but is polypropylene. I had to but about 7 feet of the stuff and have some left I think.

-Kent

Hi Kent.....have you ever tried contact cement for the grill material? When set up, it has instant contact so no fooling around with waiting for it to dry. Stapliing is less messy and faster for me. I made those grills and had material on and done in about three hours.

in fact I went to my friend's house today to deliver the masonite grilles. He does have a good electric stapler and is very happy to have these frames. This guy is actually a former AR rep from the 80's. Loaded with stories and has a work shop to rehab old speaks. He is curiously off the grid info wise and is intrigued by some of the resources I have described to him. For example 1-2-3 stitch and Roy's sealant for example. I look forward to developing a relationship with Joel and will encourage him to participate in this great community.

• 8 months later...

I'm restoring a set of 2A's and just redid the grills. I used the linen from 123 stitch. I found 1/8th leg staples, but had difficulty using them with my staple gun. I ended up using 1/4 leg staples and they barely came through the fabric, I was a bit bummed, and where they did, I snipped the tips with a wire cutter flush with the frame. They look great.

Welcome GD70

What kind of staple gun? The 1/8" leg staples I've seen are designed to fit pneumatic staple guns. Are you aware of ones that fit a standard T50 type gun?

I think the best solution, if using linen, is to glue the edges with Alene's Tacky Glue. An alternative would be to make grilles that are a full 1/4" thick or to glue thickening strips around the perimeter.

Glad yours worked out but I'd be nervous cutting the ends that protrude through the linen.

How 'bout a photo? I really like the 2a's.

-Kent

Welcome GD70

What kind of staple gun? The 1/8" leg staples I've seen are designed to fit pneumatic staple guns. Are you aware of ones that fit a standard T50 type gun?

I think the best solution, if using linen, is to glue the edges with Alene's Tacky Glue. An alternative would be to make grilles that are a full 1/4" thick or to glue thickening strips around the perimeter.

Glad yours worked out but I'd be nervous cutting the ends that protrude through the linen.

How 'bout a photo? I really like the 2a's.

-Kent

Hi Kent!

I just restored these for someone. They came out quite nice.

Here's a few pics.

Glenn

IMG_0096_zpsgvsobnxg.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsuj8v0job.jpg

Beautiful restoration!

Tip to other CSP members: When you click one of the photos above you'll be taken to Glenn's Photobucket page where there are lots of fascinating restoration photos.

-Kent

Beautiful restoration!

Tip to other CSP members: When you click one of the photos above you'll be taken to Glenn's Photobucket page where there are lots of fascinating restoration photos.

-Kent

Thanks Kent!

The owner picked them up and I was told, was very happy!

Yeah, lots of pics on my photobucket pages.

Glenn

Archived