Small Advent Rejuvenation

baski

Hi all,

I found these speakers on CL and got them for free with rotten foam surrounds and banged up cabinet. Both the tweeter and Woofer are working. I have already got the re-foam kit from audio addiction if I am correct. I got clarity caps which may be a overkill for them. Also I am thinking of getting a Raw veneer and reveneer these speakers. I have never done that but that does not stop me from doing things ;)

I do have couple of questions regarding the re-veneering on top of old veneer.

Is re-veneering the right choice?

One side is banged up and is splitting at the seam(pic attached). How do I fix it.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

post-153099-0-41946300-1384313559_thumb.

post-153099-0-00166300-1384313561_thumb.

post-153099-0-92875200-1384313562_thumb.

post-153099-0-51941700-1384313564_thumb.

post-153099-0-40336300-1384313566_thumb.

Nice find!

Those do not appear to have a veneer but rather a "simulated walnut vinyl" laminate

Here's what I would do:

1. Using a heat gun and scraper, remove the old vinyl. This will be a PITA!
  2. Force glue into the open seam with a knife blade then use bar clamps to try to squeeze it back together.
  3. Fill the corner bash with epoxy (NOT Plastic Wood). You can get JB Weld Wood Weld or even more convenient--an epoxy stick that you slice then knead in your hand. Like this or similar http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rectorseal-EP-200-2-oz-Epoxy-Putty-Stick-97601/100124697#.UousQeL9-Js
  4. File and sand the repaired corner then sand all surfaces with an orbital sander.
  5. Apply the new veneer. This can be tricky if using "standard" veneer. Maybe better to use the iron-on or pressure-sensitive stuff like this http://www.rockler.com/psa-pressure-sensitive-veneer-new-sizes-24-inch-x-96-inch
  6. Or, to save $$ you could go with vinyl like this http://www.parts-express.com/walnut-vinyl-laminate-2-ft-x-18-ft--261-626

I used some of the "black ash" laminate to repair some Celestion speakers. You "can" go over the old vinyl but the surface should be sanded and must be absolutely smooth because any irregularities will show.

btw--most refoam jobs should include shimming the VC and installing a new dust cap but NOT with these speakers. The unique "spit wad" cap is part of the design. Leave them intact and use a test tone, or slice all around the edge very carefully, leaving a "hinge" then flap the cap back to shim.

Good luck! Show some "after" pictures.

Kent

I hope there's follow-up on this one! Good advice, JKent! I respect the Small Advent and wish they'd made them with real walnut veneer. I've always been tempted to try veneering a pair, as I've been repairing old veneer for years now. Maybe that will be my next step in the endless learning process. Right now I'm working on a single Klipsch Heresy in light oak. I'll just sand that one down and oil it. Not sure what I'll do with it, though.

Archived