Nice sounding German made SABA 70 K vintage speakers

Guest Haffe

Guest Haffe

Hallo,

funny, allmost nobody outside of Germany

uses or knows German made top quality vintage speakers.

Some very interesting German high quality speakers were

made by well known German manufacturers like Telefunken (Speaker TL90)

DUAL (Spekers CL190 / Cl180) and Saba-Telewatt (Saba 70K / Saba 50K)

as well as "KS" brand made by Kücke & Co Speaker "E 80"...

Back in the 70´s I used to own a pair of very nice medium sized

SABA 70K speakers. (Made by the "Schwäbische Apparatebau Anstalt Stuttgart SABA") I can tell you, they are allmost of the same feel good quality like an old Mercedes-Benz 280SE

- extraordinary solid and well made.

Think the 70K line was their semi professional top of the line consumer speaker with some major parts of their Studio dept.

"KLEIN & HUMMEL (TELEWATT brand) Stuttgart" today both belong to the "Sennheiser Group"

I sold my Rogers ex BBC speakers, because the Sabas K70 really s(w)ing, you wont believe it untill you have the rare chance to listening to a pair of them.

These German speaker guys did a pretty well job.

Sadly my wife wanted a pair of flat type electrostatic speakers so I bought a set of Quads ESL..

Funny I still miss the very good bass response of the SABA 70K..

Saba is highly underrated and undervalued (to my mind...)

Did/does anybody here also use well made german vintage speakers?

Here is a picture of the SABA 70K sorry I dont have an own photo...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...65605&rd=1&rd=1

Best regards

Yorck

Hi Yorch,

It sure is nice to have subject on European speakers.

Since long I been using English (Goodmans Audion 90, Wharfedale etc) and American's (Altec, AR etc) speakers.

Since I sold my last pair of Audiom 90 last month, I been looking at Germans made units, especially full range types.

In particle I am looking at Philips and Klangfilms and now after reading your posting I add on Saba to it,as well.

Read up a little on Philips eg. the AD12202 and the AD8710 but I know nothing about the Klangfilm's even though I know it to be good sounding, well sought after and desirable brand.

I am with the hope you may impart some knowledge of said to us.

Regards,

kml.

Hi Yorch,

It sure is nice to have subject on European speakers.

Since long I been using English (Goodmans Audion 90, Wharfedale etc) and American's (Altec, AR etc) speakers.

Since I sold my last pair of Audiom 90 last month, I been looking at Germans made units, especially full range types.

In particle I am looking at Philips and Klangfilms and now after reading your posting I add on Saba to it,as well.

Read up a little on Philips eg. the AD12202 and the AD8710 but I know nothing about the Klangfilm's even though I know it to be good sounding, well sought after and desirable brand.

I am with the hope you may impart some knowledge of said to us.

Regards,

kml.

• 2 years later...

You have named some very nice German products,now here is the test. Has any one head or heard of Sphis Audioproduct Model LBX 250 S These speskers are not produced any more ,but there is a firm that rebuilts them .I bought a pair in Munchen in 1979 rebuilt the crossovers and upgraded all internall wire and bingo brandnew speaker.Very well made closed box design. Just wanted to at that. cheers Cliffe

You have named some very nice German products,now here is the test. Has any one head or heard of Sphis Audioproduct Model LBX 250 S These speskers are not produced any more ,but there is a firm that rebuilts them in Germany,as well as produse a line of there own .I bought a pair in Munchen in 1979 rebuilt the crossovers and upgraded all internall wire and bingo brandnew speaker.Very well made closed box design. Just wanted to at that. cheers Cliffe

Archived