KLH Model 331

Guest jtriginer

Guest jtriginer

Hello to everybody from Barcelona, Spain.

I just recued a pair of KLH Model 331 from my dads garage, bought around 1980.

I have done some research and and I have been told that such model number is the European version of american model 6. I have however checked some model 6 pictures and they do not really match 100%. Mine look newer and have both tweeter (2 inch) and woofer (8 inch) bolted, not "glued". There is a smaller free hole in the front side, close to the tweeter, which the model 6 does not have.

My question, if I may ask, is wether it is worth to spend some money to restore them as I found the following flaws:

- One of the tweeters is not original.

- The other one has a scratch in the cone.

- One of the woofers is not original.

So I need to get two tweeters and a woofer (where and how much?). The question then is, for the same money, can I get better speakers on the market.

Thank you very much!! May I offer if you want, I can send some pictures for your file as it looks like my model 331 is not that common.

Best regards, I look forward to hearing from any of you soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello to everybody from Barcelona, Spain.

I just recued a pair of KLH Model 331 from my dads garage, bought around 1980.

I have done some research and and I have been told that such model number is the European version of american model 6. I have however checked some model 6 pictures and they do not really match 100%. Mine look newer and have both tweeter (2 inch) and woofer (8 inch) bolted, not "glued". There is a smaller free hole in the front side, close to the tweeter, which the model 6 does not have.

My question, if I may ask, is wether it is worth to spend some money to restore them as I found the following flaws:

- One of the tweeters is not original.

- The other one has a scratch in the cone.

- One of the woofers is not original.

So I need to get two tweeters and a woofer (where and how much?). The question then is, for the same money, can I get better speakers on the market.

Thank you very much!! May I offer if you want, I can send some pictures for your file as it looks like my model 331 is not that common.

Best regards, I look forward to hearing from any of you soon.

Those don't sound related to the Model Six which had 10 inch woofers and were an acoustic suspension design (sealed cabinet). By 1980 KLH had been sold to an Asian company and all of the original speaker designs were not produced any more.

As Andy said, KLH had been sold to an Asian company (Kyocera?) by the time these speakers were offered. The 331 may have been similar in size to the Model Six but not in design. The Six was an acoustic suspension design and the 331 would be a ported bass reflex design. Below is a link to a VERY old thread (so don't bother to try to open any of the eBay links) on Audio Asylum. It offers a very little bit of information about the 331.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/...ages/42730.html

Sorry for the really sketchy information but these are from an era and country pretty much outside the scope of this list.

John

Archived